• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Virgin Gatwick/Manchester fleet.

Steve and Sarah

Mouseketeer
I am sure this has been covered to death before so apologies...!

I am aware that Virgin are replacing their well-used/abused 747 400 fleet with Airbus A330's in Feb or March next year.

However we have just booked flights out of Manchester on the 73 and it has quoted us as travelling on a 747 400. Are they transfering one (or more) of their Heathrow fleet to cover the extra flights? or are the keeping one of the existing (I seem to think the Alitalia 5 are the one's going backleaving one ex Heathrow plane still with VS)?.

Interestingly it wont let us reserve seats either meaning that the 60% pre-allocation is already taken or they don't know the layout of the plane yet.

Thanks for any clues anyone has...

Steve

I dont know about the planes - i am hoping that we will get the new ones both ways ....but i have noticed that you live right by me!!!:lovestruc Our dog goes to Agility in Sandbach :thumbsup2

if my friend who haunts virgin's customer service is be believed, the new plane will be flying the VS75/VS76 flights, the old ones will still be on the later flight (vS73/VS74) out of manchester, his latest info was its due to start on April 2nd ... we're flying April 4th so I hope he's right.

if my friend who haunts virgin's customer service is be believed, the new plane will be flying the VS75/VS76 flights, the old ones will still be on the later flight (vS73/VS74) out of manchester, his latest info was its due to start on April 2nd ... we're flying April 4th so I hope he's right.

Thats correct, we fly out on the VS 073 (747) in economy and fly back on the VS 076 (A330) in Premium Economy. 1st time in PE and won't get to experience the bubble:sad1:

The seating plans are meant to be available from November-not sure when exactly though.
economy layout is 2-4-2 :goodvibes

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/allaboutus/ourfleet/index.jsp?type=14

I'm sure there was a PDF layout somewhere showing that this was the case. I don't know where to sit though as we are a family of 4. I think the kids will want to sit by the window, plus I can't remember the last time I sat in a 4 in the middle isle! I think I will go for 2 2s

yeah we're a family of 3, so its going to be a lot harder for us.
we're up and down a lot with our son, so hopefully we can get one of the 3's so we dont disturb anyone.

whereas we're a two, so the layout is great for us, hopefully we'll get seats on our own together :) (when I have travelled as a four we did find two 2s were better btw)

keeping my fingers crossed the plane is ready by the 4th!

OK so I guess I've missed all of this, are they changing the Gatwick flights too? If so do we know which flights are changing?

Whereas we're flying out of Heathrow on a revamped 747-400 ..... What's the bet I get Hot Lips again!!!! :rotfl2:

We fly out of Gatwick on a Saturday next August. But when I reserved our seats online, it was the 747 layout. Wonder why that is?

We fly out of Gatwick on a Saturday next August. But when I reserved our seats online, it was the 747 layout. Wonder why that is?

You must be on the VS015 at 1pm that one is sticking with the 747 the VS027 at 11:35 will be the new A330.

These are the initial routes been annouced for the new A330
Manchester – Orlando VS075/076 Daily eff 02APR11
London Gatwick – Orlando VS027/028 Day 127 eff 01MAY11
Glasgow – Orlando VS071/072 Day 6 eff 07MAY11

No Wayne, we're on the VS27 at 11.35 on Sat 6th August. Definitely 747 layout on seating plan.

There was a post on a well known Virgin flyer site ;) in the depth of a thread where someone made a comment that the new Airbus were not now flying the Gatwick - Orlando route. :confused3 Lots of rumours going around, I guess we just have to wait and see.

There was a post on a well known Virgin flyer site ;) in the depth of a thread where someone made a comment that the new Airbus were not now flying the Gatwick - Orlando route. :confused3 Lots of rumours going around, I guess we just have to wait and see.

Hmmm, first time I've heard this. Guess we'll have to keep our ears to the ground. :)

I am sure this has been covered to death before so apologies...!

I am aware that Virgin are replacing their well-used/abused 747 400 fleet with Airbus A330's in Feb or March next year.

However we have just booked flights out of Manchester on the 73 and it has quoted us as travelling on a 747 400. Are they transfering one (or more) of their Heathrow fleet to cover the extra flights? or are the keeping one of the existing (I seem to think the Alitalia 5 are the one's going backleaving one ex Heathrow plane still with VS)?.

Interestingly it wont let us reserve seats either meaning that the 60% pre-allocation is already taken or they don't know the layout of the plane yet.

Thanks for any clues anyone has...

Steve

The 7 747-400's that are used from LGW/MAN and GLA are all getting refurbished once the A330's start to arrive. They are getting brand new interiors with state of the art IFE which is rumored to be base on the Virgin American version - better than V-Port.

They will return to the fleet and will still be used to serve Orlando etc

(this and the A330 deliverys could of course, all change ;) )

David

I love and much prefer the 747's.Dont ask me why just love flying on a jumbo.
If we go november next year will be on the new airbus:sad1:Looks very nice and as 4 of us going can have 2x2 seats.(hopefully)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter