VIP Tour report

ChimneysweepGeorge

Mouseketeer
Since my question about the VIP Tour got a mess of views and zero replies, I think it might be worth passing along my impressions.

First, for those who missed the first post: This wasn't on my dime. I happened to be in a position professionally to do a solid for a Disney/ESPN exec and when he heard I was visiting soon, he set this up for me as a thank you.

Here is how the day went.

At first blush, the whole process seems a bit grabbasstic. I was almost bodily stopped by the sharp eyed cast member at the entrance who noticed I was carrying my tour reservation letter (quite a feat since it was folded). She tried very earnestly to send me off in the wrong direction but since the instructions where to meet the tour guide were very hard to mess up (guest services window, Magic Kingdom), I ignored her. At guest services, the first agent seemed confused and had to get another agent to explain the process. The process was "Wait over there (handwave) someone will be out." Ummm, okay. Where exactly and when? Since we were to meet at 9am, this means missing the morning greeting show. Not the end of the world but for those who care...

At 9, our tour guide John came out, called our name and off we were. He quickly sized up what our priorities were and outlined what he was going to do for us and what his limitations were. They don't allow access to any restricted areas anymore, no Cinderella suite tour. He thought this a shame since for something so nice, it's very under utilized since the "Year of a Million Dreams" promotion ended. He did however have a pair of pins that are only available through the tour. Snacks, drinks and a table service lunch were also part of the tour, with the caveats that BOG and the Royal Table aren't a certainty.

All of the info on the VIP tours mentions that the guides can put you into a fastpass line at will BUT what they fail to mention is that they are also very connected with the rest of the cast members running the attractions. As a result it's like a personalized touring plan with up to the second data on wait times and when the next show starts. This made for the most ridiculously efficient tour of the Magic Kingdom I've ever been a part of. We rode everything except Pirates (closed for refurb) and Space Mountain by 3pm ...and don't forget that we had a sit down lunch. The pace was leisurely and we never felt rushed. He just had all the info at hand to make sure we arrived just in time to step through a turnstile.

I have to pause to point out what a sheer delight it is for a Disney geek to be in the company of a professional Disney geek. You think you know stuff about the history and the park? This man used to teach the "Traditions" orientation course. As a result, if anyone looked bothered or in need of assistance, he took a moment to help. He also managed to pick up every bit of trash in his path without missing a beat. This is the kind of cast member Van French set out to build.

At 3pm (the end of our six hour tour) he parked us in an amazing viewing section for the Festival of Fantasy parade and wished us a very good day.

Now for the big question; would it be worth it?
It's a definite maybe!
The six hour minimum makes for a pretty hefty price tag but when you consider that a Disney vacation is so very dependent on your level of pixie dust, it does ensure a day full.

Is the price hourly but also per person I is thier a certain amount of people in the tour.

That sounded awesome! Good for you!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Is the price hourly but also per person I is thier a certain amount of people in the tour.

That sounded awesome! Good for you!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

from what i understand, it is just hourly per guide. if you have 10 people (the limit for a single guide) to pool money with, it only comes out to around $190/person for 6 hours, which isn't terrible considering the cost of many other disney tours, especially if a table service lunch is included.

Sounds awesome.

I have to be honest, I would rather pay to go around the park with some sort of golden FOTL ticket by myself than have the tour guide with me for six hours. I think I would be exhausted from that part of it!

Thanks for sharing :goodvibes

Snacks, drinks and a table service lunch were also part of the tour, with the caveats that BOG and the Royal Table aren't a certainty.

Grabasstic! :lmao: One of my favorite words! Were snacks, drinks, and a table service included in the price of the tour or just time allotted to enjoy them? TIA.

-Tess

Thanks everyone. It really was a great experience that I'll probably never be able to repeat due to cost. To answer specifics...

I can confirm that it is a flat hourly. That is why most of your tour groups are fairly large. You'll find an extended family that will split the costs. John was VERY excited to only have the two of us.

I have to be honest, I would rather pay to go around the park with some sort of golden FOTL ticket by myself than have the tour guide with me for six hours. I think I would be exhausted from that part of it!

The guide is the best part of it, honestly. Not only did he manage to know things I never knew but you really can't dismiss the value of real time knowledge of when shows are starting and stopping...unless waiting to get into any show type attraction is enjoyable for you. John kept checking with us on his pacing so I'm fairly sure that had we asked him to slow down, he would have done so gladly. The experience was very much like going along with a fellow Disney fan who just happened to have a lot of pull.

Grabasstic! :lmao: One of my favorite words! Were snacks, drinks, and a table service included in the price of the tour or just time allotted to enjoy them? TIA.

The price was included. I was given the impression that this is usual but I'm also aware that having a "comped" VIP tour probably does make people assume I'm a lot more important than I am. :rotfl:

Thank you for posting your review!! I, too, was searching for information and saw your question that got no replies, ha.

I decided to book a tour for my family because we only have 2 days to see the parks and with the new Magic Bands/fastpass+ going on… I'm not pleased.

The cast member who booked our tour did not say lunch was included but did ask whether we were looking for sit down or counter service. He also did not say snacks and drinks were included. Interesting. I'll post a report after our experience as well, which is in August.

I'm happy you enjoyed it so much! :thumbsup2 This will be a surprise for my family. I cannot wait!

The guide is the best part of it, honestly. Not only did he manage to know things I never knew but you really can't dismiss the value of real time knowledge of when shows are starting and stopping...unless waiting to get into any show type attraction is enjoyable for you. John kept checking with us on his pacing so I'm fairly sure that had we asked him to slow down, he would have done so gladly. The experience was very much like going along with a fellow Disney fan who just happened to have a lot of pull.

He sounds great!

I decided to book a tour for my family because we only have 2 days to see the parks and with the new Magic Bands/fastpass+ going on… I'm not pleased.

It works better in practice than it sounds on paper. The thing I've not seen anyone talk about here is how much it improves the flow of the park. Do you remember when there were books of tickets? If not, easy enough to look up and understand. The upshot of tickets was that since a family had a MESS of A, B and C tickets...there was a good reason to go see those less popular but still very good attractions. Once the parks went to a flat rate, people piled into the lines of the D and E type attractions. This leaves horrible lines at those attractions while the less cool ones stand mostly empty. FastPass tried to mitigate that somewhat but people would get a FastPass *AND* stand in the standby line. FastPass+ makes a guest more strongly consider the other rides the parks have to offer. This makes lines at rides that have never had lines before BUT overall lines are shorter.

The cast member who booked our tour did not say lunch was included but did ask whether we were looking for sit down or counter service. He also did not say snacks and drinks were included.

Hmmmm! Maybe this was because it was comped and someone decided that we were *VIP* VIPs. More info here would be great!

I hope you enjoy it as much as my wife and I did!

Thanks everyone. It really was a great experience that I'll probably never be able to repeat due to cost. To answer specifics...

I can confirm that it is a flat hourly. That is why most of your tour groups are fairly large. You'll find an extended family that will split the costs. John was VERY excited to only have the two of us.

The guide is the best part of it, honestly. Not only did he manage to know things I never knew but you really can't dismiss the value of real time knowledge of when shows are starting and stopping...unless waiting to get into any show type attraction is enjoyable for you. John kept checking with us on his pacing so I'm fairly sure that had we asked him to slow down, he would have done so gladly. The experience was very much like going along with a fellow Disney fan who just happened tole have a lot of pull.

The price was included. I was given the impression that this is usual but I'm also aware that having a "comped" VIP tour probably does make people assume I'm a lot more important than I am. :rotfl:

Meals are NOT typically included with the VIP Tour. While we have had guides bring us popcorn during the parade and not take any payment we have always had to pay for our meals when on the tours.

Also, they usually just pick us up at our resort we have never had to meet them in the parks so that may be something different for the comp. We always do all 4 parks with the tour as that is so easy for the guide to do. This information was current as of our last tour in Oct. 2013, YMMV.

Sounds awesome.

Thanks for sharing :goodvibes

I feel the same way. we've done the VIP tour and I'm considering it for our upcoming trip but touring the parks with a golden FOTL pass would be the best!

-Tess

We had no snacks and had an ADR at Tony's. We invited our guide to have lunch with us.

Meals are NOT typically included with the VIP Tour. While we have had guides bring us popcorn during the parade and not take any payment we have always had to pay for our meals when on the tours.

Also, they usually just pick us up at our resort we have never had to meet them in the parks so that may be something different for the comp. We always do all 4 parks with the tour as that is so easy for the guide to do. This information was current as of our last tour in Oct. 2013, YMMV.

The VIP cast member on the phone gave us the option of the guide picking us up at the resort or meeting him in the park. Our family chose to meet him in the park. We went to all 4 parks as well. Our tour went 8 hours but it was our choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter