Villas at the Grand Floridian Presale to Begin May 25th?

Part of my draw to vgf is my own concocted hope that bc it's the "premier" resort that they'll keep the rooms refurbed more frequently. I've struggled with the pics of the aging dvc resorts and I'm worried I won't want to stay anywhere in 5 years. Do you think vgf will stay "nicer" over the long term? Heaven knows the dues are high enough!!!

No i think they will do the refurbish of the rooms on the time line they have planned. I don;t think dues plays a big part in that

Eh, that's what they said about BLT, it's going to be soooo hard to get in there. I have never once had a hard time getting a studio lake view, in April. I think it's all hype right now.

Well, VGF is nearly 1/3 the size of BLT. And April--after Easter--is one of the slowest times of the year at DVC resorts.

I'm not sure that specific BLT experience will translate well to VGF.

I'm surprised that the cost will "only" be $150 (or $160, depending on which of the quoted prices is correct) when sales open to the public on June 19. That same day, prices of AKL will go to $150. I have to think that given the choice, most people would choose to buy VGF over AKV just based on it's proximity to MK. There are advantages and disadvantages to both but I thought there would be a bigger price difference considering it seems like they have been selling AKV forever and still haven't even declared all the inventory.

Dues and nightly point costs are higher at VGF so I'm sure that will sway some. To some buyers VGF is the crown jewel. To others it's just another "maybe someday."

In the end, I suspect AKV is close enough to sell-out (over 90%) that they aren't sweating the amount of time it will take to sell the rest.

Part of my draw to vgf is my own concocted hope that bc it's the "premier" resort that they'll keep the rooms refurbed more frequently. I've struggled with the pics of the aging dvc resorts and I'm worried I won't want to stay anywhere in 5 years.

Well, just about every resort is over 5 years old now. Kidani is 4+...BLT will be 4 in August. Meanwhile OKW is over 20 years old, BoardWalk 17 years, etc.

In some ways, you just can't hide the passage of time unless you're really willing to throw money around. Most Disney resorts have a timeless aspect but building techniques & materials invariably change / improve over time. For instance, one of the complaints I've read about BoardWalk is there aren't enough electrical outlets. In 1996, people didn't travel with a half dozen pocket gadgets. But adding new outlets to a physical structure is easier said than done.

Do you think vgf will stay "nicer" over the long term? Heaven knows the dues are high enough!!!

A look at the dues detail will help shed light on that. Yes VGF is higher than many others. If the dollars are going toward categories like Maintenance, housekeeping and the reserve fund, that would suggest a commitment to keeping the rooms more up-to-date. But it's also possible that VGF is higher than others in areas like property taxes, insurance, recreation (pool), transportation, etc.

Can only speculate at this point. But I wouldn't automatically assume that higher dues mean better upkeep.

So- if I buy a 60 point add on, and VGF do open in Oct. can I move my current Dec. ressie over in the first couple weeks they let owners book- even if I have to use points from another contract too? Or will I have to wait with the non owners to book since I don't own enough points to book full stay? Just wondering since there isn't an 11 mo or 7 mo window in this case.

Points charts aren't out yet but it doesn't seem to matter to some because people are buying already.

Resort is scheduled to open on 10/23/13 but it isn't known yet if the resort will be completed in stages.

:earsboy: Bill

It will be completely finished, there is no way to open one building in stages. None of the single building resort were opened in stages only those with multiple buildings. I would expect Polynesian to open in stages.

So- if I buy a 60 point add on, and VGF do open in Oct. can I move my current Dec. ressie over in the first couple weeks they let owners book- even if I have to use points from another contract too? Or will I have to wait with the non owners to book since I don't own enough points to book full stay? Just wondering since there isn't an 11 mo or 7 mo window in this case.

That's exactly what I've been wondering. Or even if I have enough points to book the whole stay, would they allow a one time banking or "unborrowing" of my points for canceling my other stay? :scratchin

I suspect that ONLY VGF points can be used to book accommodations at VGF during the abbreviated initial Home Resort period. You'll have to wait until the non-VGF window opens to use any of your non-VGF points.

Personally, I think its the only way DVC should handle the situation. In my opinion, it would be unfair for a Member to buy a small 25 point VGF deed and then combine it with their 500 OKW points to book 7-nights in a two-bedroom at VGF during the Home Resort period.

Seeing the selling price of $145 plus $5.41 dues just for this year, and that a studio in the lowest season takes 125 points, I wonder how this will affect the rental market? If we assume that VGF point owners will want $15 to $16 pp rental because of the higher initial price, that will put a week in that studio at $1875 to $2000.

On the other hand, if OKW rentals garner, say $12 to $13 per point and take 76 points for the same time frame, making them $912 to $988, will renters be willing to pay double the amount of money to stay at the GF over OKW? Or, will we finally see a DVC resort that basically priced rentals so high that there is an extremely limited rental market for those points?

Seeing the selling price of $145 plus $5.41 dues just for this year, and that a studio in the lowest season takes 125 points, I wonder how this will affect the rental market? If we assume that GVF point owners will want $15 to $16 pp rental because of the higher initial price, that will put a week in that studio at $1875 to $2000.

On the other hand, if OKW rentals garner, say $12 to $13 per point and take 76 points for the same time frame, making them $912 to $988, will renters be willing to pay double the amount of money to stay at the GF over OKW? Or, will we finally see a DVC resort that basically priced rentals so high that there is an extremely limited rental market for those points?

FWIW, if I were renting, yes, it would be worth double the price to me to stay at vgf over okw. But I expect not too many share my view.

Generally when a dvc is created at one of the resorts that hotel is dropped from the list of where you can use your points. I believe the Californian is the only one that still allows it. Does anyone know if the Floridian will be like that or dropped from the list. thanks

Nancy, I also have December use year for my other contracts. Do you get December 2012 points for VGF or do they start in December 2013?

Since VGF didn't exist in Dec 2012, you should only get the 2013 points.

Nancy, I also have December use year for my other contracts. Do you get December 2012 points for VGF or do they start in December 2013?

I was told because it wasn't open in Dec 2012 we will not be getting those points.
Nancy :sad1:

It will be completely finished, there is no way to open one building in stages. None of the single building resort were opened in stages only those with multiple buildings. I would expect Polynesian to open in stages.

Kidani was opened in phases. AKV - Kidani opened May 2009 with Pembe savannah and additional villas not opened until September 2009.

Since VGF didn't exist in Dec 2012, you should only get the 2013 points.

The earliest UY I could still get 2013 points was April. Anything earlier I was told would only get 2014 points. This was my guide, so I have no idea if others were told different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter