• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Villainous Voyage - May 20th, 2006 7-night Western Caribbean **Completed, No Lie**

Cast of Characters:
Ward – that’s me
Cheri – the lovely wife
Sadie – the lovely 13 year old daughter

Monday, May 22nd – Day 3 Part 1: Sadie the Hired Killer and the Death Spray of Doom

It was just a bit easier waking up in the total darkness this second time but I was a bit spaced out at first due to how hard I’d slept. I didn’t even recall getting back to the room even the night before. Cheri later told me that I was pretty much asleep coming into the room and was out before my head had even hit the pillow. So here it was 5:30am again. I just couldn’t sleep past that time the entire week. Not that it was a completely bad thing, but I wonder if I’d have been better off in the evening hours if I had been able to sleep later in the mornings. Ah well…

So I got up at 5:30am again and as I was getting dressed Sadie woke up after her extremely late night in the Stack. I asked her what she had done and she told me that she had gotten a mission to kill someone. :scared1: Interesting. The teen counselors had evidently presented a week long game that was going to occur amongst the teens called Gotcha! Each teen was assigned another teen to “kill” by weeks end. You know… one of those wholesome family-values sorts of games. :rolleyes: Two of the ways that you could “kill” someone is by stabbing them in the stomach with a paper spoon (which you had to make yourself… resourceful) or you could serve the unlucky and unsuspecting teen some poison ( :stir: by writing poison on the cup the teen is drinking out of.) I asked if she was allowed to shove someone overboard but alas Disney thinks that is taking the game a bit too far. Seems the only rules were that you couldn’t kill someone in the Stack, in a restaurant, or in their stateroom.

So Sadie and I began my morning ritual of going up to deck 9 aft, getting my fruit punch and my danishes from Goofy’s Galley and staring out over the water watching the sun rise all while my darling wife slumbers in bed. Soon, Sadie became bored with the sun so we began walking along deck 9 when her keen eye caught a foosball table. I had never played foosball in my life but she wanted to so I thought I’d give it a try. For those of you that are familiar with the ship (and those who aren’t), the foosball and ping pong tables line either side of deck 9 and are pushed very close to the windows on the sides. So there we were minding our own business playing foosball (I was winning :banana: ) when my ears picked up a dull roar gradually getting louder. The deck beneath out feet and the foosball table began to tremble slightly and the roar grew and grew when from the other side of the glass a great mechanic monstrosity slid into view ( :eek: ) spraying foam and water every which way, some of which sprayed right through the gaps between the windowpanes enveloping poor Sadie in a cloud of mist. Hold on a sec… I have to compose myself.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Okay… the beast continued sliding its way down towards the forward of the ship. A family sitting at a table down the way, seeing what it had done to Sadie, quickly grabbed their coffee and kids and ran for cover. Then you know what it did? When it reached the end… it turned around and came back for a second hit! We decided that was enough foosball for one morning so we skeedaddled it right on outta there! So if you take nothing away from this trip report hear me say this: In the wee early hours of the morning on the Disney Magic there is a great beast lurking about. When you hear its roar…. RUN!

So Sadie and I went back down to the room to check on Cheri. She was still asleep so we just kind of hung out and watched TV. I ended up falling back asleep and woke up again at 9:30am. Cheri was still asleep and Sadie was sorta dozing on and off as well (must have been the key lime pie) so I went to Diversions to a Future Cruise Presentation with our onboard cruise agent Danielle. She talked a lot about the ’07 Med cruises which I would LOVE to go on but it just isn’t realistic for us. :sad2: Someone in the crowd asked about a third ship which there is no plans for at the moment. Danielle said that it takes two years to build a ship so they are at least two years away from having one. She also stated that Disney takes its guest feedback extremely seriously and that factored in a lot in decided where they wanted to take the ship away from Florida. She said that Alaska was discussed as well and that she wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Alaska showed up in the itineraries someday. I filled out a card to get a quote on an 11-night Southern Caribbean cruise just for fun and then went back to the room at about 10am to find Cheri finally awake!! :bounce:

Up Next: A Loose Gem Bonanza and the Nothingness of a Day at Sea

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

We all freaked out in our stateroom when that thing came by spraying our window. It wasnt early in the am, maybe around 8ish, but the kids thought we were being hit by a tidalwave. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

EEEEEEEEEK! I just came to the end!! :scared1:

MORE, MORE, MORE, MORE!

I can totally relate to your comment about DD experiencing an entirely different vacation. Took DS 10 and DS 13 in April and barely saw either one of them. We would meet up for dinner at night but each led our own vacation lives the majority of the cruise.

Ok, enough about me...HURRY UP ALREADY! :rotfl2:

Cast of Characters:
Ward – that’s me
Cheri – the lovely wife

Monday, May 22nd – Day 3 Part 2: A Loose Gem Bonanza and the Nothingness of a Day at Sea

Now that Cheri was finally up we could go have some real breakfast at Topsiders Buffet. This morning on the buffet they had toasted ham and cheese croissants which were scrumptious! This was the first morning that they had them and unfortunately, this morning was the only morning they had them also. So as we ate we watched Cuba pass by in the distance. It looked beautiful and mountainous.

Today, being the first day at sea was full of a whole lot of nothingness. We went between the room and deck 9 probably 20 times and just lounged around a lot. This was the first day that we were able to hit the shops. We were excited to see how much pirate gear they have and I found a Jack Sparrow T-shirt that I liked an awful lot although I held off on buying it to see what the week would bring. Also in the corner of the store they had a table full of loose gems on sale. We wife and daughter freaked out pretty much at the site. :yay: Like I’ve said before, I had no idea that cruises and jewelry go hand in hand (another note for next time: be prepared). So they poured over the gems for almost thirty minutes. You should have seen them. They were so amusingly indecisive about everything. Do I want to get them set in Cozumel? Do I want a pendant or earrings? On and on and on… it was rather amusing actually. So they finally chose a few, checked out, and ran through Shutters to look at the latest pictures. We bought our Lumiere’s picture from the night before and are glad we did because it’s really the only professional picture with Sadie in it as she didn’t eat with us again for the rest of the trip.

We ended up going to another shopping presentation talking about Grand Cayman and Cozumel in the Buena Vista Theater. This one was a LIVE event being taped to be aired on the stateroom TV. There were a lot of people there, and I’m guessing that the many raffles had something to do with it. I admit it… that’s part of the reason we were there! So we listened to the seminar. Again, it was very jewelry focused and pretty much a repeat of the one we had attended the day prior and to top it off, we didn’t win anything. Ah well… we were now armed with everything we needed to know to make wise purchases all across the land.

We were hungry so we decided to see what Topsiders was doing for lunch but it was an oriental buffet that didn’t really appeal so we decided to check out Parrot Cay for lunch but it was also an oriental buffet. Well, you know what happens then, right? You pull out that trusty safety net to fall back on… chicken fingers and pizza (which we should have gone to in the first place!) We found a great table in the shade and sat down just as High School Musical was coming on the giant Goofy Pool screen. popcorn:: My wife and I have wanted to see this movie for a long time but never were able to catch it on the Disney Channel. We loved it. Just they type of movie that we like. What a perfect afternoon at sea. Lounging, eating, and watching movies… ahhhhhh heaven.

Up Next: Tarzan All Wrapped Up and We Mourn a Loss

Cast of Characters:
Ward – that’s me
Cheri – the lovely wife

Monday, May 22nd – Day 3 Part 3: Tarzan All Wrapped Up and We Mourn a Loss

We went back to the room at about 4pm and started discussing the evening. We had read a lot on here about what dining rotations are preferred and which ones work out with the dress code best, but we were never too worried about it. We’re pretty easy going people. But my problem lies when I start to think too much… which, don’t worry, doesn’t happen very often (remember the verandah door debacle.) :rolleyes1 I got to worrying about being in Animator’s Palate in my tux. I knew I shouldn’t have been and that everyone would be doing it, but… I don’t know. So we decided to call and see if we could maybe get our Palo reservation switched from tomorrow night to tonight. I called and left a message and within the hour they called back and said they had a 6:30pm time open so we took it.

It was also about this time that my mind ran away with me concerning something else. My devoted readers (I really don’t expect that many people have hung on with me this long :blush: ) may remember me bringing a diamond necklace on board as an anniversary gift for my darling wife. Yeah, well… as I’ve said, I really didn’t expect jewelry to be such a big part of cruising and I really didn’t expect to be in the situation daily where I would be with my wife where she could point out jewelry that she liked and didn’t like and it turns out that she isn’t a huge fan of yellow gold but much prefers white gold. Yeah, the necklace I got was yellow gold and this was really my first experience with buying a "real" piece of jewelry. So bottom line… I became paranoid about my purchase. :sad2: I knew that we were going to be in Grand Cayman the next day and I know that jewelry prices on the islands were very reasonable so I agonized over whether maybe I should give her the necklace now in case she wanted to get something different on the islands. Well that thought ended up winning out so I went ahead and gave it to her right there in the stateroom. Not Palo, I know, with a romantic feast, but hey… I told you my mind plays crazy tricks. Well she loves the necklace and wouldn’t want anything else, which I should have known but…

Sadie left us for the evening (had I but known how the evening was going to turn out I would have told her that I loved her :guilty: ) and we started getting showers and ready for the evening. Now, I have been in a tux exactly once in my life at my wedding. Other than that day almost eight years ago to the day, I have no tuxedo experience. So I was pretty high maintenance getting gussied up for the evening. Cuff links should totally come with an instructions manual. To be completely honest, they ended up staying on the dresser unused. Sure go ahead… call me an unmade bed because I didn’t wear my cuff links. What is the purpose of a cumber bund anyway? :confused3 The button stud things proved very difficult and when I was done, I was so hot and frustrated that I just wanted to get in my jammies and go to bed!

So once we were all put together we went down to the atrium for photos. They were serving drinks so we had some while waiting for our turn with the photographer. We had our picture taken with a couple of different backdrops and then it was time to head up to Palo deck 10 aft. We were able to eat at Palo on our last cruise three years ago so we know how wonderful it is and we were very much looking forward to going back this evening. Our Server was Anne Marie from South Africa (I’ve read some of you rave about her) and she was indeed fabulous and treated us amazingly. At Palo, the food just keeps coming and coming and there is really nothing you can do to stop it. I had a grilled portabella mushroom for appetizer, shrimp scampi stuffed chicken breast, and the chocolate soufflé for dessert. My wife had filet mignon with a bowl of pasta on the side and the chocolate soufflé for dessert. I wasn’t expecting all of the palette cleansing items that were brought out between and after the courses. The ice sorbet and the lemony shot thing (which my wife adored) were pleasantly delicious and the rum filled chocolate topped off the meal nicely. We had to be rolled out of the restaurant. My tux was quite a bit more snug coming out than it was when I went in. Completely and utterly delightful misery!!

It was now time for the Golden Mickey’s which I was SO excited about since it’s one that I hadn’t seen before on the Wonder. The red carpet arrivals are very cute. We enjoyed it immensely despite a bit of a snafu during the show. This is what I am imagining is supposed to happen: During the Tarzan sequence while Tarzan is twirling at a million miles an hour in the air on his vine, the Chinese flag drops down suddenly and dramatically for the backdrop of the Mulan number. Well what did happen was Tarzan was spinning in the air and I guess the flag dropped too soon or in the wrong spot because Tarzan’s feet caught the edge of the flag as it came down and it just wrapped and wrapped around him as he spun. When he stopped it looked like he was trapped in a bright red cocoon. :eek: So the Mulan dancers came on stage and he unwound himself and struggled back to stage level and nearly fell over while exiting the stage poor guy. So there was the flag all balled up hanging in a clump. So when the number was over they announced that there would be a short break and the house lights came up. It only lasted about five minutes. A minor disruption but the show was fantastic anyway!!

After the show we went back to the room and I couldn’t get out of my tux fast enough! I was uncomfortable and hot and I wanted my jammies. I think I might have been just a tad whiny about all of this as well. :ssst: We had to move the elephant off of the bed (the towel elephant) and we just lay there reading the Navigator and Tendering information sheet for tomorrow in Grand Cayman. We dozed off and on, but couldn’t truly sleep until Sadie was back from the Stack. She came in at her usual time at 1am… or at least her ghost came in. Because that was when we found out that a boy named Ethan lured our unsuspecting daughter out of the Stack by stealing her hat and killed her having stabbed her in the stomach with a spoon. :sad: (Special Note: To those who may be reading this entry out of turn; do not be alarmed for I am not a crazy man! My daughter was pretend killed in a pretend Teen Events game. Read the previous posts.) I have to say, I didn’t expect it to end this way. If Sadie was going to kick it on this cruise I expected in would be at the claws of the Death Sprayer of Doom.

RIP Sadie. :hmghost:

Up Next: The Purple Pumbaa Paddle of Power and Soothing Chin Rubs

I loooooove your writing style. Very entertaining. I cant wait to hear more. popcorn::

Super trip report! I'm sitting here with my morning coffee, just laughing away and can't wait to read the rest. :rotfl: Glad you all had a great time!

This is going to be one of those trip reports you hate to see come to an end. :guilty: Looking forward to the next installment. :goodvibes Gotta to get back to work now. :rolleyes:

Great report! Can't wait for more...

I'm going to go check out your pictures now. THANKS!!!

Loving your report - thanks for sharing with us!

You are so entertaining. I wish I could write like this. It makes me want to get on the Magic again and do it all over.

Thank you all so much for your kind words. Writing this trip report has been a lot of fun. I hope it's been as much fun for you reading it as it has for me writing it!

Your trip report is awesome! :thumbsup2
Don't feel bad about the verandah door incident. I couldn't get it to slide and was getting mad, until I looked up and saw the lock! LOL I also have a key problem, where sometime I can't get the key to work in locks. The first car I got I had to go back into the dealership office and have someone show me how the key worked! So I feel your pain!!! LOL

Please keep it coming.

RoyalVizier said:
Thank you all so much for your kind words. Writing this trip report has been a lot of fun. I hope it's been as much fun for you reading it as it has for me writing it!

Oh, it has!!! :thumbsup2

Gee...How do you remember all the details? Great report and pictures! I see in your sig you are going back on 4/21/07...couldn't you change it to 5/5/07 and go with us? You sound like fun!

Now now... no fighting over me please! :lmao:

If y'all are willing to pay my way then I'll go whenever and with whomever that you want me too.

pppiglet - I took a small spiral bound notebook with me and carried it wherever I went. I vowed that I was going to document this trip so that I could write a good trip report not only to put up on the internet but so that I would always remember as well. When it comes to life's details I don't have the best memory which drives me crazy about myself. :sad2:

I've vowed to journal previous vacations but somehow the notebook always got left behind, pushed to the side, or forgotten about. This is the first time I've had good documented material to work with. Y'all are so nice... thanks for reading.

Next installment coming soon!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter