Villa/townhome rental question

Ametista

DIS Veteran
So I have this pet peeve about Vacation Rentals and I was just wondering if its my germophobia or if it bothers other people too. When I arrive at my home, be it a townhome, a house, a condo, doesn't matter, they have set the table. Every place at the table is fully set with plates, bowls, cups, and silverware. For one thing, I like to have the space to set my stuff down on :). But also I always end up putting everything in the dishwasher and running it! I just can't stand the fact that someone else touched all the dishes, and for all I know they have been sitting out collecting dust for a week, or maybe the person cleaned the bathroom right before setting the table!

Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

Anytime I rent a property where dishes are provided I put all of the dishes in the house in the dishwasher and run it to make sure everything is clean. No matter what the manager or owner says.

I don't think it's unreasonable to rewash the dishes for piece of mind but consider that when you go to a restaurant there are numerous people handling your dishes and silverware before it reaches your table..

So I have this pet peeve about Vacation Rentals and I was just wondering if its my germophobia or if it bothers other people too. When I arrive at my home, be it a townhome, a house, a condo, doesn't matter, they have set the table. Every place at the table is fully set with plates, bowls, cups, and silverware. For one thing, I like to have the space to set my stuff down on :). But also I always end up putting everything in the dishwasher and running it! I just can't stand the fact that someone else touched all the dishes, and for all I know they have been sitting out collecting dust for a week, or maybe the person cleaned the bathroom right before setting the table!

Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

I have never rented a villa where the table was set when we walked in. I always run the dishwasher with the dishes/sliverware we will be using for the week and I keep those separate from the others.

I don't think it's unreasonable to rewash the dishes for piece of mind but consider that when you go to a restaurant there are numerous people handling your dishes and silverware before it reaches your table..
Yes, its gross. I try not to think about it.
I have never rented a villa where the table was set when we walked in. I always run the dishwasher with the dishes/sliverware we will be using for the week and I keep those separate from the others.

Where have you stayed? I guess the low key places at the beach don't set the table. But the ones in Kissimmee/Orlando always have, as far as I can remember.

Yes, its gross. I try not to think about it.

Where have you stayed? I guess the low key places at the beach don't set the table. But the ones in Kissimmee/Orlando always have, as far as I can remember.

I don't think any owner or property manager would refuse your request to not have the tables set for your arrival. It would probably save them the additional time and effort.

I also have never stayed where the table is set, but we have stayed at timeshare property resorts only (not house rentals). I would also find it odd that they bother setting the table.

And yes, I would also wash the dishes right away too! I often do that when we arrive - take the dishes and cutlery out and fit as many as I can into the dishwasher and run it first thing.

Heck, once when my DS was sleeping for a few nights on the sofa sleeper, the sheets for it looked less than great, so before making it up I washed those sheets right away.

And, I like the way towels smell once I wash them with nice Tide pods (and Downey Unstoppables) so I would rather wash the towels myself than have them replaced by housekeeping. It's just much nicer that way to me!

So in short, no it's not weird to wash those dishes. Not at all!

I agree I don't like the table set either so I ask it isn't done and if I do find it done I wash it all the same as you do even though I know the last time it would have been used .

I can't remember our table ever being set before but YES.... I wash everything. There was a story years ago on like dateline or something about hotels and the cleaning services provided. They had hidden cameras and caught some absolutely disgusting things.... One that sticks out in my head was they threw all of coffee mugs in the sink and washed them with a USED washcloth. Quick dried them and replaced them. I still cannot bring myself to use a coffee mug in a hotel room!

And to the pp that mentioned the restaurants. I know ppl handle the dishes and my food. I also hope that there are random inspections and that ppl follow protocol. Being a nurse has really ruined so many experiences lol!

I see nothing wrong with rewashing if it makes you comfortable. I wouldn't but I'm not a germophobe.

I have also never had the table preset and we've rented condos and houses many times.

The table was set at the townhouse we rented in August. I took the dishes off the table and put them in the cupboard. Then we used them. They looked clean. I supposed it's no different than someone handling them long enough to take them out of the dishwasher and put them in the cupboard. They just put them on the table instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter