Viewmaster Slides

bweagle

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure this is the right board, but don't know where else it would fit so....

Are viewmaster slides of the parks available in the park gift shops? We have started collecting these as souveniers for my little ones so they can "relive" highlights of their trips as often as they want.

Just curious if we'll be able to add to their collection next summer.

I have tons from the 80's, but I haven't seen them personally in the parks in a decade or more. I'd love to know if they still make them - I'd definitely pick them up if I saw them!

MP

When you say "View-Master slides", I assume you are talking about the round reels, not the 35mm slides? In either case, the answer is no. I think the last GAF (the company who absorbed Sawyers and View-Master) reels were discontinued very late 80's or very early 90's. The final packaging was a three reel blisterpack on a large hang card.

Check eBay, you should find lots of them at reasonable prices, although the views are dated, the kids will probably still like them.

Fisher Price has revived the brand (the website shows a great reel projector I'd love to have, and from what I can tell they are compatible with the old reels as well) so let's hope they come back to Disney with new reels soon! They have a ton of Disney themes already (Nemo, Princesses, Playhouse Disney), so it's not too far a strech.

MP

I got some great old view master reels on EBAY.
None in the parks when i was there in September.

Maybe you could steal one from the 50s Primetime Cafe :lmao:

Talking about viewmasters makes me think about our "talking" viewmaster (it was quite large and grey). We had "Thriller" slides, and between the pics and the creepy audio (darn you, Vincent Price!), I was scarred for life by that thing....yet I could not help but look :) .

We also used to have this old Fisher Price "movie camera," into which you popped these rather large yellow cassettes. You turned the lever and watched a short cartoon without sound (we had a Road Runner one I can remember vividly, and a Disney one I kind of remember, but that's it). Did anyone else have this (oh, and it was sometime in the early 80s, for anyone looking at a timeline)?

Anyway, I hope you find what you're looking for (Sorry for my trip down memory lane :hippie: )! I recently found some old Haunted Mansion slides in my parents' basement, and I'm hoping to dig out an old slide projector-thingy to check them out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter