viewing Magic in Norfolk dry dock?

NicsMom1500

Mouseketeer
If we were to visit Norfolk in early October, is there somewhere we would easily be able to view the Magic while in dry dock?

Or would the view not be worth making a small trip to Norfolk?

Just curious!

I was wondering the same thing. I know the address of the shipyard is 750 W Berkley Ave, Norfolk, VA. I don't know if it will be visible from a nearby road or something. We live in Richmond, Va about 100 miles away. My daughter would love to see "her Magic" in "her state"

View the MAGIC from Norfolk's Waterside Festival Market Place;
or if you are brave, get off the Berkley Ave exit @ the interchange of
264 & 464 and drive around the outside of the ShipYards.
Once the MAGIC is lifted in the Dry Dock; you can't miss it.
The Wonder was WONDERful to see last oct.

Well I guess we will be be going to Waterside to see her.. We saw her during her last drydock when she was in Portsmouth.. My daughter will be so ahppy to see the ship again so close to home... :cloud9:

Does anyone know what time of day she will be sailing in on that Saturday?
My sister lives in VA Beach. I was going to send to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel to take some pictures of it sail in. I was thinking in might be late at night since it will leaving Port Canveral that morning. Anybody know?

A really cool thing you can do is take the ferry from Waterside to Portside for $1 per person. You will cruise right by the ship. If you get off in Portside you will have to pay $1 to get back on but you can just stay on the paddleboat all day if you want too.
Big15, I also live in Chesapeake. Where in Chesapeake do you live?I live in the Hickory /Great Bridge area.
The last time the Magic was in drydock we went to the employee parking lot of NORSHIPCO and was able to get a good view. We made friends with some of the workers on the ship from our previous cruises so we entertained them while the ship was here. It was hard to sad to see the ship but this time is different. We will be sailing on her Oct. 22.

Back Right Center of WebCam shot you can see Carnival's FANTASY
lifted out of the water in BAE SYSTEMS DryDock ( formally NORSHIPCO );
which I believe is where the MAGIC is headed.
To the left is the DryDock & piers of Metro Machine.

Big15Foot said:
Back Right Center of WebCam shot you can see Carnival's FANTASY
lifted out of the water in BAE SYSTEMS DryDock ( formally NORSHIPCO );
which I believe is where the MAGIC is headed.
To the left is the DryDock & piers of Metro Machine.

Think we could contact the cam operator and Get them to Zoom ?

I work for the City of Portsmouth and watched the Wonder out my window last year. I think one of the best places to see the ship is from the Seawall in Portsmouth (Olde Towne). It is easy to get here from I-264, or you can take the ferry across from Norfolk. The ship is right across the river and there are no obstructions. When I would drive into work lat year down High St (in Portsmouth) - it looked like it was docked at the end of the street!!

I also have a friend who works at Norshipco, and I have emailed him to find out the time of arrival (if he can give it out....Disney, as you can imagine, is very secure....he can't even get on the ship while it is in dock).

We were supposed to be sailing on the Magic 11/26, but have had to move things around due to an illness. Hopefully we will be confirming our 1/7/06 Eastern this week and I can start getting excited. Otherwise, it will be painful to watch the Magic here in October knowing we won't be going on our cruise!!

New update - the Magic will be arriving at midnight the morning of Oct 3rd. Or is that Oct 2nd??? Should be pretty coming down the river with all the lights on.

Small world - just found out that my TA's husband is a supertindent who will be overseeing much of the work on the Magic. He has been to Orlando a few times over the last months as they plan the overhaul. Even HE can't get his wife on the ship - and he usually can get her on most ships.

Also - just found out our CAT 9 stateroom got booked so we will be onboard Jan 7th!!!! YEAHHH :cool1:

Anybody catch the Travel Channel last night....they repeated the airing of RCCL show's DRYDOCK....A CRUISE SHIP REBORN...it was on all evening....was really cool to see the entire drydock process....what a job...just the logistics involved were overwhelming.

MJ

mmouse37 said:
Anybody catch the Travel Channel last night....they repeated the airing of RCCL show's DRYDOCK....A CRUISE SHIP REBORN...it was on all evening....was really cool to see the entire drydock process....what a job...just the logistics involved were overwhelming.

MJ

We've seen parts of that show a couple of times. That was a complete refurbishment of the Sovereign of the Seas and took several weeks to do. That is an interesting show and does let you see what they went through.

The Magic will be in drydock for less than 2 weeks, so they won't be doing all that they did to the Sovereign. The biggest project we were told about was the extending of the spa over the bridge. That alone should take 2 weeks of working pretty much around the clock.

Hi Neighbors! Hickory here!

I love when the Disney ships are in drydock here in Norfolk. I see them from 464 as I drive into work, and find myself smiling from ear to ear! :love: :earboy2:

Does anyone know if any of the cams they have on the WAVY10 news webpage hit it? Here's the link...

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=113626

I looked but I can't tell in some of them. It didn't appear so but I didn't check them all. My dad will be out there beginning this Friday and two years ago he got to see the Magic from near the USS Wisconsin, which I believe is at Waterside. He said it was neat being able to see it even though it was across from where he was.

Does anyone know the when the Magic will be leaving Norfolk. I just found out that my daughter will not have school on Friday, October 14th and I am considering making the trip to see the Magic. We are going on our first cruise on 09/16/05. My DD has never seen a cruise ship in person and has no concept of what I am talking about when I tell her about the cruise. If the Magic will still be in drydock that weekend, I'd like to take her to see "the boat" as she calls it.

gssmks...I think that the ship heads back to Florida on the 14th. I don't know what time it leaves though, so you might be able to catch it in the morning. :)

Travis

i am on the cruise right after dry dock and all of us got notes in our doc packets that the spa refurbishment will not be finished while in dry dock and work will continue on our cruise...most areas of the spa will remain open but the fitness center will be temp. relocated....

i just do not want to hear construction all through my cruise....i want the spa to be nice but i live in a new neighborhood where the is constant construction and i want to get away from all of that.... :guilty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter