Vicky & Al's - 4/26/07

Mozart

There's one in every crowd...and it's usually me
When my wife and I were married ten years ago, we really wanted to go and eat at Victoria and Albert’s, but like many new couples we just couldn’t fit anything like that into our budget. Our honeymoon was spent at Port Orleans, with a week of theme parks thrown in, and even a (short) day at Sea World. Granted, we ate at some nice restaurants (Cinderella’s Royal Table, Chefs de France, California Grille, Alfredo’s and more) but we just couldn’t justify the big bucks. As we approached our 10th anniversary though, we found ourselves saying “We can do $500 for one meal, just as long as we don’t make it too regular.” And thus we find ourselves on the evening of Thursday, April 26th, 2007 at Victoria and Albert’s. We arrive at 8:00 for 9:30 reservations in order to give ourselves time to explore the Grand Floridian. After going to the shops and buying some H2O shampoo (fell in love with that on our cruise.) and a Tink pin for DW’s collection, we head to Mizner’s for a pre-dinner cocktail. Red wine for me, and Amaretto Disarrono on the rocks for her. Nice, but the main event’s time has arrived and we head next door.

Of course, the maitre’d is waiting for us, calls us by name, and we are led to our table. Thus, the adventure begins. Below are our selections, along with their wine accompaniement (yes, we had the wine pairing)

Amuse Bouche:
Lobster Bisque and Lobster sausage with Heidsieck Monopole “Blue Top” Brut Champagne NV.

Cold Appetizer:
Me – Seared Colorado Buffalo Tenderloin, Braised Fennel, Radishes and Satsuma Tangerine Vinaigrette (Cantina Del Taburno Falanghina, Campania 2005)
DW – Dungeness and King Crab with Spring Asparagus and Calvisius Caviar (Sella & Mosca La Cala Vermentino, Sardegna 2004)

Hot Appetizer:
Me – New England Elk with Elephant Garlic Spaetzle and Veal Sweetbreads (Perez Cruz reserva Carmenere, Maipo Valley 2004)
DW – Long Island Duck with Roasted Chiogga Beets and Turnip Kraut (Dr. Zenzen Apollo-Falter Spatburgunder, Rheinhessen 2005)

Fish:
Me – Washington State Salmon with Mustard Greens, Sauce Soubise and Ramp Pesto (Pere & Fils Christian Moreau Chablis 2004)
DW – Yellow Fin Tuna Tempura with Hijiki Salad and Carrot-Ginger Coulis (Sepp Moser Gruner Veltliner “Breiter Rain” Kremsatl Austria 2005)

Entrée:
Me – Poulet Rouge with Wild Mushroom Ragout and Truffled Egg (Toad Hall Pinot Noir Dijon Clones, Carneros 2003)
DW – Prosciutto Wrapped Lamb with Potato Gnocci and Sherry Vinaigrette (Cesari “Mara” Vino Di Ripasso Valpolicella 2003)

Me – Comte Saint Antoine, Fourme D’Ambert, and Pierre Robert (Cockburn’s 10 Year Old Tawny Porto)
DW – Lemon Gelato with Almond Biscotti and Candied Lemon Zest (Michele Chiarlo “Nivole” Moscato D’Asti, Piedmont 2005)

Dessert:
Me – Grand Marnier Souffle
DW – Carmalized Banana Gateau

I’m a huge fan of she-crab soup, and lobster bisque is very similiar in many ways. The key to it is getting just the right amount of sherry, which was accomplished perfectly. The lobster sausage is something that was so small, I honestly could not tell you what it tasted like. I loved the way the buffalo was cooked, and DW’s caviar was excellent as well (although only having had caviar 2 or 3 times in my life before, I’m probably not a very good judge of it. Each course was definitely ramping up, though, because the elk was good…the duck was outstanding. I was a little bit disappointed with the fish course, but then came the entrée and WOW!

The mushroom ragout made the chicken just sparkle, and I’ve never had a truffled egg before. I will be looking for recipes when I get home. I have got to have that one again! As good as those were, though, the prosciutto wrapped lamb topped them. Just outstanding. By the time we got to the cheeses and gelato, I was so overwhelmed that I hardly paid attention to that course. Good port, I do remember that. Maybe the problem by this time was that we were beginning to feel the effects of the wine pairing. Someone had told me that the wine pairing would be very small glasses, but they weren’t, and everything was so good that we felt compelled to finish the glasses. That did not last the whole meal, but we were feeling it by dessert time.

Oh yeah! Dessert. 3 word…Grand Marnier, and Souffle. Not much more needs to be said.

Overall, the meal was excellent and about what we expected. Was it worth the $382 we paid for it (before tip)…yes. Would we do it again…we definitely will.

And one final thought…when DW couldn’t’ finish her meal, they brought us a doggie bag for her to take food home (without us asking.) The only thing we took was the lamb.

That made a really good breakfast the next morning.

Sounds wonderful! Congats on your 10th!

V&A has been a dream for me, maybe my DH and I will do the same for our
10th in 2 years. Thanks so much for the sharing.

Enjoyed the review and glad you had a great meal. Anything in particular about the fish course that wasn't up to par?

We also passed on V&As during our honeymoon, but DH booked it for our 2nd anniversary on Monday evening. The same menu was offered, but we also had some of the vegetarian items thrown in, and don't really drink wine, so we passed on the pairings.

For such small portions, we were absolutely STUFFED by dessert. I also had the Grand Marnier souffle, but my DH told me not to eat it all. What???:confused3 But it's so good!!!

Turns out he had the GF Bakery make us a replica of our wedding cake top layer to eat for dessert, which they brought out after dessert. We were too stuffed to eat it! We've been sharing with the neighbors since we returned home! :grouphug:

We enjoyed V&A's, and the service was outstanding. For the $$, though, I think I would rather go to California Grill. We dined there Saturday night and it was excellent once again.

Glad you enjoyed it and happy anniversary!

Fantastic review! DH and I will be celebrating our 9th anniversary at V&A's. It will be our 3rd experience there, and I am counting down the days.:cloud9:

Thanks so much for the review! We leave in the morning for three nights at the Dolphin to celebrate OUR Ten Year Anniversary! You were married just one week before us!

We will be dining at V&A's for the first time ever tomorrow night. We enjoy good food but the price always held us back a bit, as well as traveling with DD (she is 8 now, and will be staying with my parents while we are gone...and boy is she MAD!:mad: LOL) We think it is fitting for such a special occasion, though.

I am so happy to hear your review, and I suspect our menu will be similar. I won't ask any qeustions, because I will probably not be around to see your answers. I will be posting my own review when I return. Thanks for sharing and happy anniversary!:love:

Thanks for the review! DF and I will be eating there in four weeks for our honeymoon and are SO excited to try this restaurant. :yay:

What a great review! We went to V&A on our HM and it was the highlight of the trip. We still talk about the food we ate there!!

VERY NICE!!! I enjoyed your review of V&A's...thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

sorry I'm late - but happy belated anniversary...appears it was two days ago - hope you are still celebrating. K

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter