Via Charlotte, NC with US air

laluna

Mouseketeer
Looking at flights for next Easter and having to resort to the indirect option. US air are coming out at £2300 for 4 of us. Would welcome comments/experiences about the airline and Charlotte as a layover airport.

We did this route August 2009 year and it turned out fine.

We had originally planned to fly direct but then investigated in-direct. We were saving £600 but as we had the risk of an extra connection and the possibility of getting stuck in Charlotte we decided to add an extra day just in case.

We did get delayed out of Charlotte due to bad weather but we got to Disney that night, 3 hours late. It was a long day but we got the extra day in the parks instead (with free dining) and still saved £500. ;)

I've just booked this route for the Easter holidays 2012 for our family of 4.:yay:

I have been checking flights into all of the Florida airports for the last couple of weeks and looking at the different routes on offer. This one seems to offer us the best in terms of timings and prices. We depart LGW on 31 March with a 3 hour transfer at CLT. This is good as it will give us a chance to stretch our legs and being a worrier I know I can relax a bit and not have to race across the airport!!!. On the way back on 12 Apr we stop at CLT but there is no change of planes so the time there is fairly short. Price was £2220 for 3 adults & 1 child.

I hope this helps anyone else looking for similar dates.

Who did you find that deal with? I am looking at that flight too (same dates) and have been quoted £2400.

I've flown to Tampa via Charlotte. It was really easy - you go through immigration at Charlotte so by the time you get to your final destination there's no queue.

Definitely recommend having a longer layover (as in a couple of hours). Bear in mind you have to factor in getting off the plane, immigration, getting your bags, putting your bags back on the transfer carousel etc it takes a bit of time. Some website offer an hour or so layover which is not really enough time if it's busy. There are a few bars, restaurants and shops at Charlotte so better to take your time and relax! Having said that, my parents missed their connection because the plane was late and US Airways immediately put them on the next flight.

Hope that helps :goodvibes

I've flown to Tampa via Charlotte. It was really easy - you go through immigration at Charlotte so by the time you get to your final destination there's no queue.

Definitely recommend having a longer layover (as in a couple of hours). Bear in mind you have to factor in getting off the plane, immigration, getting your bags, putting your bags back on the transfer carousel etc it takes a bit of time. Some website offer an hour or so layover which is not really enough time if it's busy. There are a few bars, restaurants and shops at Charlotte so better to take your time and relax! Having said that, my parents missed their connection because the plane was late and US Airways immediately put them on the next flight.

Hope that helps :goodvibes

Thanks for that info! It is good to know it is easy, especially as we will have a 13 & 10 yr old in tow!. I did see many flights connecting at various hubs but some only had an hour and half connection. I know I would spend the whole flight over the Altantic checking my watch to make sure we would be arriving in time to make the connection!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter