• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VGF standard resort studios availability

grahf1234

Mouseketeer
So for this December trip I was bailed out by the first Welcome Home scheduling and was able to get what i looked for but unfortunately not at home resort.

Thinking ahead to next winter, would you imagine standard resort studios to not be available for a 10 day stay in 2nd and 3rd weeks of December?

Trying to gauge if I’d need to rely on some of the walking people do. Historical metrics say that those standard studios were available at 11 months for this year, but that was also a fully declared resort with many points left compared to how it’s closer to being “sold out” now.

How would I be able to tell I might need to walk a reservation? How early should a walk start if I wanted a 10 day stay starting December 14?

I don't follow VGF all that closely, but generally speaking, the cheapest studio room is the most popular room at all the resorts. Furthermore, December is the most popular DVC time (first and second weeks included, perhaps even more so).

VGF is tough in December for studios but I will say the resort ones are easier than the deluxe given that there are so many more

I do think you might want to monitor the status of what is happening with them for November bookings (so start monitoring beginning of December).

If you start to see evidence that people are walking, then I would start.

The sign of walking would be a block of availability that keeps moving ahead after every day, right?
Is there any way to see how many units are available for a given day? All I can see is either available or not available without much context as to how close a day is to being unavailable.

The sign of walking would be a block of availability that keeps moving ahead after every day, right?
Is there any way to see how many units are available for a given day? All I can see is either available or not available without much context as to how close a day is to being unavailable.
Not exactly. The sign of walking is more about seeing the days reopening in the week prior to the 11 month window when they had been booked up. So 11 months + 1-7 days. Days booking right at 11 months can easily be popularity for that date or size of accommodation.

As to what you might expect to see, for second week of Dec 2023, the VGF Deluxe Studios (original VGF building) booked full instantly at 8 a.m. at 11-months out but Resort Studios (new DVC building) remained open for at least enough time thereafter for anyone to make a reservation who was attempting to do so around 8 a.m. eastern.

If it helps anyone, I now see where the api sets the number of rooms available, can be easily checked in the response of the service call to the server, for example, standrd resort studios look like this sometime in 2024 (dates x'ed since board rules forbid posting availability I believe):
JSON:
{
    "resortCode": "VGF",
    "roomCode": "AAI",
    "availability": [
        {
            "date": "2024-xx-xx",
            "rooms": 1,
            "points": 24
        },
        {
            "rooms": 0,
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
            "points": 26
        },
        {
            "rooms": 4,
        },
        {
            "rooms": 16,
        },

If it helps anyone, I now see where the api sets the number of rooms available, can be easily checked in the response of the service call to the server, for example, standrd resort studios look like this sometime in 2024 (dates x'ed since board rules forbid posting availability I believe):
JSON:
{
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
Thank you for blocking dates. But how do you get to this when searching?

You can get to it by seeing the background calls made to the server, which can be achieved by pulling up your browser's devtools (ctrl+shift+i or cmd+shift+i on a mac). These service calls will be under the Network tab, can limit the noisy traffic by setting the filter to "calendar-availability" which is the last portion of the url the site uses to get availability info. These calls to the server are made when you're browsing the calendar. Wish they just put that info on the UI without the need to do this, but I guess they might think it'd cause more issues than help.

Looking all the way ahead to 11 months out, max I'm seeing for a day is about xxxx available for standard resort studios, and xxxxxfor standard deluxe studios. But of course that's end of august, hopefully won't be much worse for 2nd week of december at 8am 🤞

Removed data

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get to it by seeing the background calls made to the server, which can be achieved by pulling up your browser's devtools (ctrl+shift+i or cmd+shift+i on a mac). These service calls will be under the Network tab, can limit the noisy traffic by setting the filter to "calendar-availability" which is the last portion of the url the site uses to get availability info. These calls to the server are made when you're browsing the calendar. Wish they just put that info on the UI without the need to do this, but I guess they might think it'd cause more issues than help.

Looking all the way ahead to 11 months out, max I'm seeing for a day is about xxxx available for standard resort studios, and xxxxxfor standard deluxe studios. But of course that's end of august, hopefully won't be much worse for 2nd week of december at 8am 🤞

Removed data

Thanks! I wlll try! I did remove the actual availability you posted since it was too specific.

While my input is not needed I Will repeat another post…. those weeks are extremely popular and have been for the 20+ years we have owned. If you have the points I strongly suggest booking at your home resort at 11 months then walking if you can. We had a hard time getting OKW where other family owned and booked one year, We were able to switch in the end but still it is OKW and not expected most times of the year.

While my input is not needed I Will repeat another post…. those weeks are extremely popular and have been for the 20+ years we have owned. If you have the points I strongly suggest booking at your home resort at 11 months then walking if you can. We had a hard time getting OKW where other family owned and booked one year, We were able to switch in the end but still it is OKW and not expected most times of the year.
Would walking starting on Dec 1st for a stay starting at the 14th make sense/work? Just realized I wouldn't be able to walk any sooner since I have a december UY. Thought that UY was ideal for december stays, but not quite sure now.

You could start earlier if you wish if you have useable points that you did not bank from 2023 into 2024 as you are really starting on Jan 1 (11 months out) if you are wanting to start the walking date of Dec 1.
Once you get to that time you can then bank them by 7/31/24 if you did not have any other trips planned.

You could start earlier if you wish if you have useable points that you did not bank from 2023 into 2024 as you are really starting on Jan 1 (11 months out) if you are wanting to start the walking date of Dec 1.
Once you get to that time you can then bank them by 7/31/24 if you did not have any other trips planned.
Great point, unfortunately I have used up all the 23 points for this upcoming trip. Feels like I need 50 more points for stuff like this to have an extra margin. I don't know though, I already bought 50 more than what I thought I'd use per year to cover for point chart rebalances, views, etc. but ended up using them right away on first stay.

JSON:
{
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
Took a bit, but I got it working!!! Thanks

Would walking starting on Dec 1st for a stay starting at the 14th make sense/work? Just realized I wouldn't be able to walk any sooner since I have a december UY. Thought that UY was ideal for december stays, but not quite sure now.
Starting a walk Dec 1 will likely be harder than just booking at 8am on your 11m date. First week of December is generally more popular than 2nd/3rd week. Worth a try, though. And then the 2nd if that doesn't work. And then the 3rd...etc.

For all the talk about BPK potentially affecting the availability of one bedrooms, the current availability charts tell a different story. The absolute hardest to book, even at 11 months, are all the different types of resort studios.

For all the talk about BPK potentially affecting the availability of one bedrooms, the current availability charts tell a different story. The absolute hardest to book, even at 11 months, are all the different types of resort studios.
That’s what’s making me think that I’d need to walk since looking at availabilities next year at different times one and two bedroom any view have much better availability.
thought all the studios at VGF would make it pretty easy to snag one and all pressure on other room types and such, but turning out not to be the case. Was all propaganda!

That’s what’s making me think that I’d need to walk since looking at availabilities next year at different times one and two bedroom any view have much better availability.
thought all the studios at VGF would make it pretty easy to snag one and all pressure on other room types and such, but turning out not to be the case. Was all propaganda!
Agreed. Everyone was saying that all the pressure would be on one bedrooms, that so many buyers were going to use their new points to book one bedrooms that it was going to seriously affect their availability. (I added on for that reason.) Everyone just assumed there would be no issue with resort studios, even at seven months. Wrong!

Turns out people bought BPK to stay at BPK. If you’re looking for a resort studio for almost any time, it looks like you need to walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter