veteran's day or thanksgiving 2014?

jaz0308

DIS Veteran
Any thoughts? Pros or Cons? Considering a trip for next year NOT in the heat of August!

Each time would require 3 days off work/school so that is equal! Would go either Sat. 11/8-11/13 or 11/22-11/27 (so we would actually leave on Thanksgiving!)

Checked flights for this year and price was almost equal as long as we leave ON Thanksgiving and not before or after! I am concerned, however with flying around Thanksgiving as i have 2 small children and worried about totally full flights or very crowded airports.

Sooo....so any of you have experience with these 2 time periods? Thanks for any advice!

Crowds will be lower during Veteran's Day and you won't run into as much craziness with flights, so I'd pick Veteran's Day.

We went over Veterans Day last year and crowds were great. We left the tues before thanksgiving and I will say it was getting much more crowded by the time we left. I'd definitely go for Veterans Day over thanksgiving!

We went over Veterans Day last year and crowds were great. We left the tues before thanksgiving and I will say it was getting much more crowded by the time we left. I'd definitely go for Veterans Day over thanksgiving!

x2 :thumbsup2

Crowd-wise you'll find the Veterans Day "weekend" to be lower than the week leading up to Thanksgiving. Note that Veterans Day falls on a Tuesday in 2014, which makes it a bit awkward for most casual vacationers.

Veterans day weekend is normally the last weekend of Food and Wine. Also (at least it is this year) the half marathon is that Saturday.

Osborn lights start this year on the 8th. No word yet if they will be up next year, but if they are they should be up for either time span.

Definitely veterans day. I have been on thanksgiving before and its very busy! Veterans day will be less busy and more fun for your kids because y'all will be able to do more with shorter waits! Hope this helps!:thumbsup2

I'm looking at the calendar now, do you think the weekend before Veterans day is when the crowds will be heaver as opposed to the weekend following? I was thinking about going right between Veterans day and Thanksgiving. Will the Veterans day crowds still be there the Friday, Sat and Sunday after veterans day or do you suggest waiting the following week?

Just don't forget the Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon is 11/8 - run starts at 10pm (as does the party for race participants' families). I don't know if Epcot will have its regular closing time that day, or if it will close early.

It's also the last weekend of Food and Wine...so between that and the marathon, I'd expect Epcot to be decently crowded on the weekend. The other parks are probably not as affected, though.

Veteran's Day will be WAY quieter. You might even get to see the beginning of some of the Xmas decorations, including Osborne Lights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter