Very upset and frustarted!

Buckeye Princess

DIS Veteran
So I need to vent while I'm waiting to hear back from Disney.

Disney has made two errors that are going to impact my vacation coming up here in a week. I did all the planning for our grand gathering so I feel like I've let everyone down and they'll be disappointed.

First I booked a Wishes cruise. Disney booked the wrong boat so not only will it be a tight fit for our group, but we won't have audio either. I know they can pull up alongside a boat with audio, but I'm frustrated that I was told I was getting what I asked for, and now I'm not.

Second, I had made a reservation at Le Cellier on the phone. This is the restaurant that most of my inlaws are most excited about. I was going back through and reconfirming everything to discover that they booked it the wrong day!! I actually caught this the day after I originally booked it and called to have it fixed, I was told it was fixed, but apparently not. I was Grrrr Now of course there is nothing available. All this after getting up early and sitting on the phone for hours on that crazy day when 90 switched to 180.

So after emailing the address they gave me on the phone yesterday I've been checking my email like crazy today. Now that I haven't heard from them today I'm sure I won't until Monday at the earliest and we leave Thursday. I'm not looking forward to telling my in laws about the changes. This trip is supposed to win them over so that we can convince everyone to all go in on DVC and go yearly as a group.

Thanks for letting me vent as I wait to hear back.

Disney has made two errors that are going to impact my vacation coming up here in a week. I did all the planning for our grand gathering so I feel like I've let everyone down and they'll be disappointed.

First I booked a Wishes cruise. Disney booked the wrong boat so not only will it be a tight fit for our group, but we won't have audio either. I know they can pull up alongside a boat with audio, but I'm frustrated that I was told I was getting what I asked for, and now I'm not.

Second, I had made a reservation at Le Cellier on the phone. This is the restaurant that most of my inlaws are most excited about. I was going back through and reconfirming everything to discover that they booked it the wrong day!! I actually caught this the day after I originally booked it and called to have it fixed, I was told it was fixed, but apparently not. I was Grrrr Now of course there is nothing available. All this after getting up early and sitting on the phone for hours on that crazy day when 90 switched to 180.

So after emailing the address they gave me on the phone yesterday I've been checking my email like crazy today. Now that I haven't heard from them today I'm sure I won't until Monday at the earliest and we leave Thursday. I'm not looking forward to telling my in laws about the changes. This trip is supposed to win them over so that we can convince everyone to all go in on DVC and go yearly as a group.

Thanks for letting me vent as I wait to hear back.

I'm no expert at getting anyone corporate to do anything... but I would try calling DVC, explain why you are hosting the gathering (to get them to buy vacation club), and that you really, really wanted to make it special so you could sell them on the idea, and see if they can help you out with the reservations. I'm not sure they can, because they are a whole separate group from dining etc... but you can sure get someone on the phone who maybe can bump you up to a manager or someone at a higher level who might actually be able to get something done. :wizard:

Make a little fuss... cry if it works for you... don't be mad... just get really sad, and explain how much this trip means. I bet they come up with something to make it special... even if your exact itinerary items can't be met.

I really feel for you. Wishing you lots of luck!:flower3:

Wow, I hope everything turns out in the end for you....here is some pixiedust: for you....and for what it is worth, I hope you have a magical trip even though you had some mess ups. Hopefully your ILs will overlook these two hiccups and will fall in love with Disney and will still want to buy into DVC with you. Let us know how it turned out.

Are you really sure that it was Disney's fault? Maybe one reservation, but two. Maybe you gave them the wrong dates, and just forgot.:confused3

So sorry that you're having trouble :hug: I'm sure it will all be worth it when you go on your trip.

Question: Does everyone know what's been planned? :idea:

I just say this b/c between us, if they don't know what's been planned, they won't know if it doesn't go off *exactly* the way you planned it (i.e. they don't know that the boat should have audio, etc.) So if that's the case, don't worry about it too much...your in-laws didn't know what it was supposed to be like so they won't know it's messed up.

Why not turn things around to your favor? How about instead of LeCellier, you take the beautiful relaxing stroll over to Yacht Club and eat at Yachtsman Steakhouse. I find the food and atmosphere even nicer than Le Cellier and that stroll is one of my top favorite things to do. Do they even know what they're missing or did they just hear it from everyone else? I'd make yourself out to be the hero and make it sound like you planned it all along.

The cruise is cool, but to me it isn't to the Disney level that it's a "Must Do". I'm glad I tried it once, but I have no desire to do it again. I find it nicer to get a drink and relax someplace around WS and chill while waiting for Illuminations. You can use the cruise to entice them once you buy DVC.

Why not turn things around to your favor? How about instead of LeCellier, you take the beautiful relaxing stroll over to Yacht Club and eat at Yachtsman Steakhouse. I find the food and atmosphere even nicer than Le Cellier and that stroll is one of my top favorite things to do. Do they even know what they're missing or did they just hear it from everyone else? I'd make yourself out to be the hero and make it sound like you planned it all along.

The cruise is cool, but to me it isn't to the Disney level that it's a "Must Do". I'm glad I tried it once, but I have no desire to do it again. I find it nicer to get a drink and relax someplace around WS and chill while waiting for Illuminations. You can use the cruise to entice them once you buy DVC.

I agree!! I don't think missing a dinner at LeCellier will make or break their their opinions. Personally, I've been to both LeCellier, and Yachtsman, and I think the Yachtsman would be a wonderful (less noisy, and more room) alternative. Then you could show off the Boardwalk and Beach Club too...maybe even walk to Jellyrolls afterwards for a drink.

This trip is supposed to win them over so that we can convince everyone to all go in on DVC and go yearly as a group.
I know this isn't actually your issue/complaint, but please think VERY carefully about purchasing DVC as a group. Please get legal advice; maybe draw up a contract regarding payments, usage, etc.. It just seems to me that when you get more than one party involved, things get risky - from both a legal and a relationship standpoint.

I know this isn't actually your issue/complaint, but please think VERY carefully about purchasing DVC as a group. Please get legal advice; maybe draw up a contract regarding payments, usage, etc.. It just seems to me that when you get more than one party involved, things get risky - from both a legal and a relationship standpoint.

Amen!!!!!

This is extremely good advise, heed it carefully and really think about it. I have seen friendships and families ending up in vicious battles over vacation property.
(and that is without having to have been "won over")

Yes I agree. You may have a fab relationship with your in-laws and I am not saying that this won't or couldn't work. It would just concern me. What if at some point your in laws decide to host someone on those points and you then wouldn't be able to use the point for that year? Or if for one reason or another schedules couldn't be meshed to take the yearly trip who gets to use the points or do you forgo the trip altogether that year? What if life circumstances change for one or both parties and you or they want to sell the DVC and the other party can't afford to buy the other out? Just a few things to think about. Wonderful relationships have been damaged by commiting to a financial arragement of one sort or another.

As far as the reservations you made that aren't what you wanted, seriously if it was me, I would just cancel both and make other plans. Neither of these reservations should have the potential of ruining a vacation... there are so many other things to see and do at WDW. Sorry your disappointed. I would be too.

Why not turn things around to your favor? How about instead of LeCellier, you take the beautiful relaxing stroll over to Yacht Club and eat at Yachtsman Steakhouse. I find the food and atmosphere even nicer than Le Cellier and that stroll is one of my top favorite things to do.

We feel the same way about Yachtsman & eat there every trip...better atmosphere & food. The restaurant is never crowded when we are there, so you may even be able to get an ADR there at this time.

I think you might need to take a deep breath. Maybe walk away from the Dis planning for a day or two.

If a partnership with your family in purchasing DVC hinges on eating a meal at 1 of a hundred WDW restaurants, (and a mediocre one at that), and hearing the music to a fireworks show....well....It certainly doesn't bode well for making a financial investment together.

I'm not sure skipping Le Cellier (if you have to) is going to sway anyone on whether or not to buy DVC.

This trip is supposed to win them over so that we can convince everyone to all go in on DVC and go yearly as a group.

Okay I'll say it, this has got to be the worst idea I've heard in a long time. Making a sizable and long term investment with family members can only end in heartache. Think long and hard before you make this very large mistake..:scared1:

Okay I'll say it, this has got to be the worst idea I've heard in a long time. Making a sizable and long term investment with family members can only end in heartache. Think long and hard before you make this very large mistake..:scared1:

so agreed - love my family to death - but our vacation together every year until infinity (I'd rather chew off my right arm)

So true. Mr DH and I purchased dvc aong with our adult DD this past summer. However, even though we plan to vacation together, we each purchased a separate package. It solves scheduling problems, financial issues (should one no longer want to be a dvc member) and inheritance issues (should one or more of us predecease the others. and we all get along great and already vacation together every year!

I'm not sure skipping Le Cellier (if you have to) is going to sway anyone on whether or not to buy DVC.

ITA! I'm not really sure what Le Cellier has to do with DVC? We love our DVC, and don't care much for Le Cellier, but one doesn't have anything to do with the other. It reminds me of a quote from one of our fav movies: "What does that have to do with the price of eggs?"

Good luck - I agree that Yachstmen is a much better steakhouse than Le Cellier too.

Hope it all works out for OP, Tiger

I am a planner as well, and have faced similar situations, First things first, you now have nothing planned for that particular dinner so try to book an alternate first. If you can later get help with le cellier you can cancel. Definately Yachtsman , better steaks and great atmosphere is first choice. If you want to stay in that area, and similar food, Captains Grill is close and pretty good as well. Chef's of France has steaks in addition to other nice meals and is in a good proximity to canada. Next, can you get le cellier for lunch that day perhaps and flip something around for dinner? If any smaller tables are available, you can book a couple and offer to wait for two adjacent to be available when you arrive as well.
good luck
Drew

We were in Disney back in August 2009 during free dining...I carefully planned all our dining for the 5 of us. Anyway, we added another person to our reservation (a total of 6 now) one week before arrival. When I called to add the other adult to our ressie they said one of my ressies was cancelled. And of course it was for the one place we really wanted...Coral Reef. Long story short, they emailed the restaurant and made sure to accomodate us. We didn't get confirmation til we arrived that the accomodations had been arranged. I would call them back and beg. Ask them to call or email the restaurant to check and see will they please accomodate you. It worked for me! Don't give up! You'll get it.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter