VERY pleased with Costco Travel package

CrabbyPatty

DIS Veteran
Just wanted to share some info about our Costco travel package for our recent trip to DLR. Before we booked, I spent some time pricing out separate elements, and found that - for us - the Costco package was the best deal (YMMV).

We received the packet of information a few weeks before we left, via UPS next day service and we needed to sign for the packet.

We received plastic cards for our 5-day PH tickets so all we had to do was get our picture taken our first day and we were ready to go. The hotel voucher was a piece of paper - handed it to the Front Desk and it was all taken care of.

I initially wasn't thrilled about the Premium Character Breakfast benefit (DD is aging out of doing the character meals), but then I learned here that you could use the vouchers for any meal within DLR. So, we used the three vouchers (value $43 each) for a late breakfast at the Steakhouse 55, a dinner at Flo's V8 Cafe and dinner at Storytellers Cafe (voucher paid about 2/3 of the bill). We also used our $20 Disney gift card for a fast pizza lunch in Toontown.

The package also came with a free attraction photo (limited options) so we got a free photo / digital download of our first Radiator Springs Racer ride. If I had to pay for the photo, I wouldn't have done it, but we got a "free" $15 photo deal.

Lanyard / pins - not a dealbreaker. Nice perk - but we didn't use them. We turned in our vouchers at Downtown Disney, which took about 2 minutes.

Any questions I can answer for you - please let me know. Thanks!

I have always loved Costco travel when we need a package. You can't beat the gift card and dining vouchers. Sounds like you had a great time!

Price-wise when we looked it is about what we pay, but you got the "free" character meals.

I really like the Costco package when all 5 of us travel, because you get a lot of value out of those character meals! I have an AP so they remove that cost from the package, too, but I am able to get the character meal voucher. For us, that is worth $215. Add to that the $20 gift card and it's a pretty nice deal. Sometimes it's cheaper for us to do the Costco package than to purchase separately on our own. This Christmas, we are doing it on our own because the Costco rate is higher right now than my AP discount but I'm keeping an eye on it.

I really like the Costco package when all 5 of us travel, because you get a lot of value out of those character meals! I have an AP so they remove that cost from the package, too, but I am able to get the character meal voucher. For us, that is worth $215. Add to that the $20 gift card and it's a pretty nice deal. Sometimes it's cheaper for us to do the Costco package than to purchase separately on our own. This Christmas, we are doing it on our own because the Costco rate is higher right now than my AP discount but I'm keeping an eye on it.

So, are you saying you can get the package without the tickets if you have an AP? I am weighing the difference between getting an AP vs. getting another Costco package to cover our second trip this year.

So, are you saying you can get the package without the tickets if you have an AP? I am weighing the difference between getting an AP vs. getting another Costco package to cover our second trip this year.

I don't know if they'd allow you to get a package if no one needed tickets, but if one in your party does not need them, they will take the cost of a ticket out for that person. Beyond that I can't say. We're a family of 5 and I'm the only one with an ap so they're still selling us 4 hoppers. They may do that with more ap holders than 1; I just don't know. It's a great deal for us because we get the cost of a hopper taken off but we still get a character meal voucher for that person.

ETA: Just to further clarify, let's say we book a package for 5 people including 4-day hoppers. Since I have an ap, I can call and Costco will remove the cost of 1 4-day hopper but still include the other perks for me. I price it out online first, removing 1 adult when pluggin in the information so I can see what the cost will be, and then call and book for 5 with a hopper removed. You have to call in order for them to do it that way.

Anyone know when the prices for 2014 will be online? There's a link for 2014 but not the red book now link

DizMe said:
I don't know if they'd allow you to get a package if no one needed tickets, but if one in your party does not need them, they will take the cost of a ticket out for that person. Beyond that I can't say. We're a family of 5 and I'm the only one with an ap so they're still selling us 4 hoppers. They may do that with more ap holders than 1; I just don't know. It's a great deal for us because we get the cost of a hopper taken off but we still get a character meal voucher for that person.

ETA: Just to further clarify, let's say we book a package for 5 people including 4-day hoppers. Since I have an ap, I can call and Costco will remove the cost of 1 4-day hopper but still include the other perks for me. I price it out online first, removing 1 adult when pluggin in the information so I can see what the cost will be, and then call and book for 5 with a hopper removed. You have to call in order for them to do it that way.
This is great information as I have an AP but my kids do not. Thank you!

Anyone know when the prices for 2014 will be online? There's a link for 2014 but not the red book now link

Hi,

I called Costco's toll free number and I was able to make a reservation "3 night reservation and get the 4th night free" for February 2014. The prices were the same as now.
It seems that every time I try to go online, the re-direct to the Disneyland site is down.

Do you have to be a Costco member? We do not have a Costco nearby. Thanks.

Midnightred

Someone in the party has to be a costco member as you have to enter your member number.

Our December trip will be the second trip we've used Costco. I know a lot of people say you can get it cheaper if priced separetely, but we also like the perk of getting to pay the trip off over time and not all at once. It's built in budgeting for us!

Last year we used the character diner voucher for Ariel's Grotto dinner, but now that it's not a character meal anymore, we are probably going to use it for CCT or Blue Bayou.

Can anyone post a link to a thread with info about using the Costco character dining voucher elsewhere? My searches were not productive. Can the voucher be used at any food place? Counter service or table service?

Wow, I had no idea one could do that. We are considering APs this year for the first time for two of us. Thanks!

Can anyone post a link to a thread with info about using the Costco character dining voucher elsewhere? My searches were not productive. Can the voucher be used at any food place? Counter service or table service?

It's in the fine print here:

Premium Disney Character Dining Experience
•Not valid for World of Color Dinner Packages at Ariel's Grotto or Wine County Trattoria but may be applied up to its retail price at any other Disney owned and operated full-service or counter-service restaurant at the Disneyland Resort.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/costco/costco-member-benefits/

I did have a bit of a challenge last year using it at the PCH Grill. The manager insisted that he had to charge me an automatic gratuity with it. I let it go, because I was going to tip that much anyway. I had no problem using one at the Blue Bayou.

It's in the fine print here:

Premium Disney Character Dining Experience
•Not valid for World of Color Dinner Packages at Ariel's Grotto or Wine County Trattoria but may be applied up to its retail price at any other Disney owned and operated full-service or counter-service restaurant at the Disneyland Resort.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/costco/costco-member-benefits/

I did have a bit of a challenge last year using it at the PCH Grill. The manager insisted that he had to charge me an automatic gratuity with it. I let it go, because I was going to tip that much anyway. I had no problem using one at the Blue Bayou.

Thank you!!! That might change out mind about not using Costco this time. We always have in the past but are happy skipping character breakfast this trip.

We don't use the character meal vouchers for character meals anymore, either, since our youngest two are now 10 1/2 and the Ariel's dinner is gone. We get a lot of mileage out of the vouchers and have never had any trouble using them. We had a dinner at Cafe Orleans, lunch at that big place in DCA that's across from the Symphony Swings, and (non-character) breakfast at Storyteller's. On a side note, you can go to breakfast at Storyteller's and enjoy the character interaction etc without getting the character meal. We didn't intend to do that, but we didn't want a whole buffet so we just went in for waffles and the characters still came over and visited with the girls and invited them to go around the restaurant with them! We aren't big eaters, do a lot of sharing so the vouchers go a long way for us.

Can I remove my own park ticket on line because I have an AP or do I need to call Costco travel to do that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter