Very Nervous Traveler

Rena75

Cast Member
Hi All,

I have been reading the boards for the last week or so (thank you for all the great information).

My 20-year-old daughter and I are leaving for the Wonder next week (3-night). I originally had not planned on going but my daughter really wants me to go.

My problem? I get sea-sick on the Queen Mary! I have the patch, Sea Bands, Bonine and ginger tablets to take on this trip.

I figure since it is a short trip and it only looks like we will be sailing at night, I might be okay but I'm concerned that the storms will make the trip rocky.

Does anyone have any experience in this? I got a room with a verandha hoping that the fresh air will help. I just don't want to spend the whole time on the boat stuck in the room!

Thanks so much!

When you were on the Queen Mary, was it going trans-atlantic? If so, the waters of the Caribbean are smoother than the north Atlantic. If it was in the Caribbean, I recommend all those things you are bringing and some crackers (I think they say saltines and apple slices are the best for you) and hope that you have to throw out the crackers or carry them home because you didn't need them! Also don't underestimate the power of mind over matter. (When last we did a short cruise, one person commented that they were feeling woozie and then MANY more commented about being seasick already. I looked over at the ropes and we were still securely tied to the dock.)

clten said:
When you were on the Queen Mary, was it going trans-atlantic?

Uhm, when I was on the Queen Mary, it was permanently docked in Long Beach! :guilty:

Thanks for the ideas - crackers may be the way to go - it did feel kind of like morning sickness!

The CMs will tell you that the best thing to do is keep something in your stomach like crackers. For some reason sea sickness seems to be MUCH worse on an empty stomach. Guess that's why I didn't have any problems...my stomach was NEVER empty... :rotfl:

The Disney ships are remarkably stable most of the time. I start taking Bonine (meclazine) the night before I board the ship.

Being on deck and looking at the horizon helps, if you start to get dizzy. The first evening can be a little rocky at dinner.

You will love having a veranda. Look at the stars. :earsboy:

CM_Mom said:
my stomach was NEVER empty... :rotfl:

LOL - well, according to my daughter, we are going to eat the entire time on the ship and apparently we won't be sleeping either!

Thanks for the advice!! :earsboy:

DH says that I can get sea sick in the bathtub...and I had no problems on our DCL cruises. Follow spotdog's advice and go outside on deck if you start to feel queasy. It really helps! So does having something in your stomach (not hard to do on a cruise ship). Relax, you'll have a great time!

Beth

Rena75 said:
Hi All,

I
Does anyone have any experience in this? I got a room with a verandha hoping that the fresh air will help. I just don't want to spend the whole time on the boat stuck in the room!

Thanks so much!

Hi Rena,

I have experience with this. On our first Disney Cruise we were on the outskirts of a big storm. We were sailing through 17-25 feet waves. The boat was rocking terribly. I started taking seasick pills from the ship's infirmary (along with Coke or gingerale) and I was ok after that. We also had a verandah, which WAS a huge help. I spent a lot of time on the verandah, stepping out any time I felt the least bit queasy. It helped immensely.

Good luck and have fun!

spotdog said:
The Disney ships are remarkably stable most of the time. I start taking Bonine (meclazine) the night before I board the ship.

Being on deck and looking at the horizon helps, if you start to get dizzy. The first evening can be a little rocky at dinner.

You will love having a veranda. Look at the stars. :earsboy:

Spotdog,
You stated that the first evening can get rocky at dinner. We are taking our first Disney Cruise (our first cruise ever) in June and we have the early seating. Is there a difference between the rocking during the early or late seating? Is the rocking due to crossing the Gulf stream?

Can't answer the timing question, but the first night is primarily due to crossing the gulf stream.

Jim

I tend to get motion sickness very easily, so I worried about this too. On the advice of many I took Bonine and had NO problems. They key is to take it the day BEFORE you board the ship and continue to take it daily on the ship and for a day or 2 after you get off the ship. Just one little pill each day.

Thank you all SO much for your replies - they are very much appreciated and I'm feeling better about this cruise!

I got some of those behind-the-ear patch thingies from my doctor, I have Bonine, the Sea-Bands and ginger tablets. Did I forget anything!?!?! ;)

Thanks, too, for the heads-up that the departure might be rocky. As long as I know that is not how the rest of the trip will be (*fingers crossed*), I'll try to work through that part.

You all are the best - thanks again!

(And if you have any more tips, I'd love to hear them!!)

I tend to get motion sickness/dizziness very easily too. The last time we cruised we had to be up to leave for the airport around 3:00am, so my mom and I just stayed up all night and never went to bed since we usually stay up until around 12-1 on a normal day. By the time we finally got to the ship we had spent about 6-7 hours in and out of airports and on airplanes, and 2 hours on a bus taking us from Orlando to Port Canaveral. My mom and I hadn't slept, and we hadn't had any time to eat. The first night on the ship I was miserable!! So miserable!! I wasn't used to the rocking, I was exhausted and I hadn't eaten. My best advice is to have a full stomach, get lots of rest, and don't overdo the travelling the morning of your cruise. Other than that, it didn't really bother me much.

The only other time was the night before we were supposed to dock back at PC I told my family that the motion was bothering me again and that it felt weird. No one else seemed to notice anything and they thought I was crazy. About 1/2 hour later the captain came on and said that there had been a medical emergency and that we were headed full speed ahead to PC and would be arriving about 8 hours early. That bothered me a little to have that higher speed of travel.

Sounds like you are well prepared. Have a great trip!!

I too, tend to get very seasick. The first time I went to Catalina Island (off the coast of LA) I told my mom to go back to my apartment, get all my stuff, ship it to me and notify UCLA that I would finish my degree my correspondence! I was not getting back on that boat! :crazy2:

All that to say, I am a big fan of the scopolamine patch!! :cheer2: I would never cruise without one. Put it on the morning before you board and change them every three days. I would put a new one on the night before I was to remove the old one so I had a more constant level all the time. I never felt a bit queasy even on the tender to Cabo where a lot of people said they felt ill. I had an occasional cocktail with no ill effects. It does make your mouth dry, but I just drank more water than usaul which is probably a good thing.

Debogan said:
I too, tend to get very seasick. The first time I went to Catalina Island (off the coast of LA) I told my mom to go back to my apartment, get all my stuff, ship it to me and notify UCLA that I would finish my degree my correspondence! I was not getting back on that boat! :crazy2:

LOL, Debbie - I live in Los Angeles and the only time that I've been to Catalina was when we took the helicopter over. There was a storm the day we were supposed to come back so the helicopter couldn't fly.

I walked down to the dock to see about taking the boat back home but I got sick just standing on the pier! We stayed another day and waited out the storm until the helicopter could fly again!

Haven't been back since. :sick:

Rena75 said:
LOL, Debbie - I live in Los Angeles and the only time that I've been to Catalina was when we took the helicopter over. There was a storm the day we were supposed to come back so the helicopter couldn't fly.

I walked down to the dock to see about taking the boat back home but I got sick just standing on the pier! We stayed another day and waited out the storm until the helicopter could fly again!

Haven't been back since. :sick:

The only times I have been back were on a cruise ship with a scopolamine patch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter