• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Very nervous about ECV and buses

I rented this exact same scooter just last week from Apple Scooters. It was my first time ever using a scooter and I was terrified of taking it on the buses. I worried about it every single day and dreaded what I thought was going to be a huge, embarrassing deal.

Turns out, I was worried for nothing. The drivers were fantastic and fast. The other guests were nothing but kind and helpful. Not once did I get so much as a dirty look.

There was always a scooter or two in just about every bus line. People were so used to it, I don't think anyone thought anything of it. I know I never noticed before I had to use one myself.

Thankfully, these kind of people are few and far between...even more so at Disney.

Using a scooter was such a positive experience. I wasted lots of worrying for nothing.

The scooter was not large and cumbersome. It was easy to drive and didn't appear over sized at all. When lined up parked along side others, I never saw one that was smaller looking. I only saw some that were larger.

Please try to relax! :goodvibes You will have a wonderful vacation and Disney transportation will take excellent care of you!

This makes me feel better! Thanks!

And thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I do feel better about it. I know driving back and forth to the parks every day would be a huge pain so I will give the buses a try. I am used to using ecv's at the store and such and I hear the rentals are even easier to maneuver so maybe it won't be too bad getting on the buses. I am sure I will worry till the trip comes but I am really really excited about going and you have made my concerns far lesser. What an awesome group y'all are!

I use the deluxe scooters from walker and i've not had any problems fitting them on any boats or monorails. I haven't used the buses with them because I have my car with me always. But the scooter pieces are very heavy and bulky so you will need help if you break it down.
I've not had anyone give me much issue with the scooter.

It can get frustrating with people not noticing you because they are looking all around and you can get stepped over a lot. But just say excuse me LOUDLY (people are very distracted at disney).
Also be careful of running children. They tend to zip around quickly and cut in front of you in the blink of an eye. I've not hit any yet (knock on wood) but I did see an elderly woman run over and knock down a small toddler ACCIDENTALLY. The child just ran right in front of her and it's impossible to stop them on a dime.
Just keep your speed in the middle setting and with the walker models, you can just lightly touch the lever and it will go slowly and faster if you push a lil harder.
Turtle speed for everyone's safety.

It's also much easier to navigate on and off transportation in a slower speed with just a lil extra power to go up a hill.

When I have problems parallel parking on the bus, the driver usually takes pity on me and does it for me -- expertly. Saves time in the long run.

Re: using turtle mode: earlier this week we were at Disneyland, and DGD age 16 kept switching my ECV to turtle mode so she could keep up with me easier. ;)

I just got back from 10 days with a scooter at aoa. I was worried too but dis ers encouragement helped me to decide to do it. Most bus drivers will park it on the bus for you and that is the only skilled task associated with it. You just drive it up a ramp onto the bus. We were always the first people at the bus stop so no one was bumped because of me. I rented from apple and they had a wonderful 3 wheeled scooter that was light and extremely easy to maneuver. I loved my experience. Only down side is that some bus drivers obviously didn't like to tie it down and a couple tried to "not notice" that I was waiting. I hate putting people out but the dis board helped me see that I am entitled to a good trip even with health issues. I told myself that I certainly would be nice to someone who needed an ecv if I drove a bus so rudeness is the driver's issue not mine. Go and have fun. :thumbsup2

My MIL is going with us this year and uses an ECV. She has no mobility below waist at all. When she boards the bus, will she have to move to a fixed seat? Are seats close enough that she can use her arms to scoot over or will we have to lift her? Trying to find out as much info as i can, she is extremely nervous ( but equally excited) to be going.

My MIL is going with us this year and uses an ECV. She has no mobility below waist at all. When she boards the bus, will she have to move to a fixed seat? Are seats close enough that she can use her arms to scoot over or will we have to lift her? Trying to find out as much info as i can, she is extremely nervous ( but equally excited) to be going.

The drivers ask for safety reason to move to a seat and they are close to the tie down points . If she can't then they will put a seat belt on her even with it and it being tied down it still can tip so the best option and safest is to transfer to the seat. Maybe she could drive to a seat then you Park and the driver will tie it down.

Here a nice video of boarding a bus in a wheelchair the last 17 second your be able to see the seats and where they tie down the wheelchair it be the same for ecv.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5zxDFPPnIFE

Not videos, but some serial pictures:
Step one - the driver opens the back door and begins the lowering of the ramp.
image21.jpg

The seats will be folded up to form a place for a wheelchair or ECV to park and the driver lowers the ramp.
image23.jpg

The ramp is fully lowered and the guest (and up to 5 members of their party) are invited to board. Wait for the driver to let you know it is ready for you to board.
image25.jpg

You may drive straight on the ramp or back on. Some people find backing in is easier because it requires less turning once you are on the bus.
There are still a few older buses with lifts. You do need to back onto the lift, but will drive forward onto the lift when getting off. This keeps the heaviest part of the ECV or wheelchair closest to the bus and is for safety.

The wheelchair or ECV will be securely fastened down with tiedown straps. Wheelchair riders may stay in the wheelchair, but should use the bus seatbelt.
ECV riders should get off the ECV and sit in a bus seat because ECVs are more likely to tip when occupied.
image26.jpg

2590ecv_on_busjpg.jpg

image20.jpg

The seats are across the aisle from where the ECV is parked and facing the side of the bus (ECV or wheelchair will be facing forward).

The driver's will not make her move, but are supposed to strongly suggest it. She could possibly drive the ECV onto the bus, park it close enough to a seat to transfer over, then let one of your party park it. Be sure to let the driver know what she plans to do if he choose that since they will be pretty puzzled otherwise by what she is doing.
I would NOT count on a driver moving the ECV for you. Some may do it, but thy are not supposed to and could get in trouble for doing it.

If she stays on, she should insist on using the seat belt, if it is not offered.
If she has no mobility in her legs at all, she would not have the ability to catch herself with her feet if the ECV does start to tip. I would suggest having adult members of your party stand next to the ECV to prevent it from tipping.

A 4 wheeled ECV is less likely to tip than a 3 wheeled one, but most of the weight on an ECV is up high, so they are more 'tippy' than a wheelchair or power wheelchair. They also do not have as good of places to secure they tiedown straps, so not as secure.

Does she actually have an ECV (driven with a handlebar tiller type thing) or a power wheelchair (driven with a joystick)?
A power wheelchair is not a tipping issue and many are built with loops for attaching tiedown straps.

Also to be aware - all attractions (except Swiss Family Robinson Tree House and Tomorrowland Transit Authority) are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding. Some lines are not ECV accessible and require the guest to either walk n line or transfer to an attraction wheelchair.
The attraction wheelchairs are very basic and have fixed armrests, which can make it difficult to lift someone in.
Some attractions have a wheelchair accessible ride car, but most of those are not ECV accessible and if she needs that car, she old need to transfer to a wheelchair at the attraction.

There is more information about ECVs on attractions and the type of transfer involved in posts 18-21 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You cn find a link in my signature or that thread is near the top of his board.

I just got back from 10 days with a scooter at aoa. I was worried too but dis ers encouragement helped me to decide to do it. Most bus drivers will park it on the bus for you and that is the only skilled task associated with it. You just drive it up a ramp onto the bus. We were always the first people at the bus stop so no one was bumped because of me. I rented from apple and they had a wonderful 3 wheeled scooter that was light and extremely easy to maneuver. I loved my experience. Only down side is that some bus drivers obviously didn't like to tie it down and a couple tried to "not notice" that I was waiting. I hate putting people out but the dis board helped me see that I am entitled to a good trip even with health issues. I told myself that I certainly would be nice to someone who needed an ecv if I drove a bus so rudeness is the driver's issue not mine. Go and have fun. :thumbsup2

So glad to hear it went well! I remember how worried you were.

Not videos, but some serial pictures:
Step one - the driver opens the back door and begins the lowering of the ramp.

The seats will be folded up to form a place for a wheelchair or ECV to park and the driver lowers the ramp.

The ramp is fully lowered and the guest (and up to 5 members of their party) are invited to board. Wait for the driver to let you know it is ready for you to board.

You may drive straight on the ramp or back on. Some people find backing in is easier because it requires less turning once you are on the bus.
There are still a few older buses with lifts. You do need to back onto the lift, but will drive forward onto the lift when getting off. This keeps the heaviest part of the ECV or wheelchair closest to the bus and is for safety.

The wheelchair or ECV will be securely fastened down with tiedown straps. Wheelchair riders may stay in the wheelchair, but should use the bus seatbelt.
ECV riders should get off the ECV and sit in a bus seat because ECVs are more likely to tip when occupied.

The seats are across the aisle from where the ECV is parked and facing the side of the bus (ECV or wheelchair will be facing forward).

The driver's will not make her move, but are supposed to strongly suggest it. She could possibly drive the ECV onto the bus, park it close enough to a seat to transfer over, then let one of your party park it. Be sure to let the driver know what she plans to do if he choose that since they will be pretty puzzled otherwise by what she is doing.
I would NOT count on a driver moving the ECV for you. Some may do it, but thy are not supposed to and could get in trouble for doing it.

If she stays on, she should insist on using the seat belt, if it is not offered.
If she has no mobility in her legs at all, she would not have the ability to catch herself with her feet if the ECV does start to tip. I would suggest having adult members of your party stand next to the ECV to prevent it from tipping.

A 4 wheeled ECV is less likely to tip than a 3 wheeled one, but most of the weight on an ECV is up high, so they are more 'tippy' than a wheelchair or power wheelchair. They also do not have as good of places to secure they tiedown straps, so not as secure.

Does she actually have an ECV (driven with a handlebar tiller type thing) or a power wheelchair (driven with a joystick)?
A power wheelchair is not a tipping issue and many are built with loops for attaching tiedown straps.

Also to be aware - all attractions (except Swiss Family Robinson Tree House and Tomorrowland Transit Authority) are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding. Some lines are not ECV accessible and require the guest to either walk n line or transfer to an attraction wheelchair.
The attraction wheelchairs are very basic and have fixed armrests, which can make it difficult to lift someone in.
Some attractions have a wheelchair accessible ride car, but most of those are not ECV accessible and if she needs that car, she old need to transfer to a wheelchair at the attraction.

There is more information about ECVs on attractions and the type of transfer involved in posts 18-21 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You cn find a link in my signature or that thread is near the top of his board.

Wow, such great information from everyone!! I admit i didn't actually know the difference between power wheelchair and ECV, thought they were the same thing, just different name. She has a power wheelchair, so she will be able to stay seated while we move. Just spent HOURS online and on phone with airlines, got her all booked and ready to go!! Much relief to me!!

Wow, such great information from everyone!! I admit i didn't actually know the difference between power wheelchair and ECV, thought they were the same thing, just different name. She has a power wheelchair, so she will be able to stay seated while we move. Just spent HOURS online and on phone with airlines, got her all booked and ready to go!! Much relief to me!!
I thought she probably had a power wheelchair, based on you saying she could not move her lower limbs.

Next things check on is whether her power wheelchair already has tiedown loops installed. How does she transport her wheelchair?

Many power wheelchairs have tiedown loops built on already. Sometimes, they are a bright color like red, yellow or orange. The ones on my DD's power wheelchair are black (but still show up on her chair because the frame is fuschia ). If the chair does not already have tiedown loops, it would be good to contact her equipment supplier to find out what they recommend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter