Very Long report 9/14 - 9/19

eeyore7567

Earning My Ears
Here is yet another report from WDW for the middle of September which included the promotional free dining plan. Four of us adults went from the 14th – 19th and stayed at the CSR. The first night was just my wife and I:

Wednesday, September 14, 2005: We arrived at MCO right on time. We thought there would be signs to find the Magical Express, but after asking directions from someone in baggage claim, we found the desk with no problems. There was no line for check-in and within 5 minutes we were on the bus. Our bus left about 5 minutes after sitting down. We were the third stop out of four. (All Star Sports, All Star Movies, CSR and Animal Kingdom Lodge.) The “knee” space on the bus isn’t great, but it’s well air-conditioned. For some bizarre reason the driver had the front window shades down so that we couldn’t see where we were going. For a brief moment he raised and lowered the shades so we could see the “Walt Disney World Resort” arch. We arrived at CSR about 45 minutes after leaving the airport.

There was no line for check-in at the hotel. Upon check-in, we found that some of our requests were not met (like same cabana area, king-size bed and top floor.) The cast member was very rigid and kind of off-putting when we asked him to see what he could do. After going back to talk to a supervisor, or twiddle his thumbs or get a cup of coffee, etc., he came back and was able to get us in the same area and that’s about it. King beds are a luxury at this hotel which I guess makes sense for families who need beds for their children.

The room was nice and overlooked the lake. The fridge was a nice touch, but they didn’t have any soaps or lotions. We called “mousekeeping” and within 20 minutes, we had more soaps, shampoos and towels than we could ever ask for. We were only one building away from the restaurant and we were perfectly situated between two of the bus stops.

We decided to take advantage of the EMH at the Magic Kingdom and caught a bus within 5 minutes. The ride took about 12 minutes and we walked through the gates at 6:00pm with a closure time of midnight. It was still hot and humid but not overbearing. (Give it time.) We shared a hamburger at PECOS BILL and after looking at the calories in the Peanut Butter Brownie Mousse, (over 600 for the small dessert) we each took a big bite and saved the fats for another day. The condiment bar was a great touch and I highly recommend this place for a counter service meal. The park was relatively empty even with the EMH. We were able to ride Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Small World, PhilharMagic, Winnie the Pooh, Big Thunder (twice), Pirates, Snow White, Stitch’s Escape and the Haunted Mansion. ALSO…we watched the SpectroTragic parade, waited 30 minutes in front of the castle to watch Wishes and still left the park at 11:30pm. We weren’t even walking at a brisk pace. *On a very cool note, 25 minutes before the fireworks, we decided to sit down on the ground somewhat near where Walt and Mickey’s statue is but in an “open” area. All of a sudden, everyone around us started to sit down. We thought how cool the view of the
castle was and how great it would be if everyone would just remain seated. And they did. Everyone in our area watched the fireworks in comfort with no obstructions. If I can ever figure out how to post pictures, I might be able to show you what it looked like.* We left the park at 11:30 and missed our bus by literally 20 seconds. This cost us a good 25 minute wait for the next bus. (This was one of the only few times we had to wait a long time for the bus or had a bus filled with standing people. (The same could not be said for some of the “Value” resorts. It seemed like throughout our trip, the “Value” resort bus lines were always long and required at least 3 busses to empty them.) We got back to our resort a little after midnight to find our luggage in the room and ready to be unpacked.

Thursday, September 15, 2005: We met up with our friends and went back to the Magic Kingdom around 11am. (We didn’t know how much we would have accomplished on the first day.) The longest wait of the day was about 12 minutes for Peter Pan. Other than that, I think we walked on every single ride in the park. We ate at PINOCCHIO VILLAGE HOUS. I had the Fried Chicken Strips and my wife had the Grilled Turkey and Bacon Panini. The chicken was exactly what you think it would be and my wife thought the Panini was excellent. We took two of the Rice Krispy Treat Mickey Ears to go. It was so hot and humid that the treats melted off of the stick they were on. We decided to take one tour around the park on the Walt Disney World Railroad. Having just missed the train, we took some pictures with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Chip. (Dale was a bit pissed at Chip for some reason and chose not to be in the pictures with us.) Usually Character lines are huge, but we got pictures with all of them before the train came back around. We left the park around 4:30. The bus came within a few minutes and we showered and changed to go to FLYING FISH.

We took a bus to MGM and then took the boat to the Boardwalk. The whole process took about 45 minutes from our hotel. FLYING FISH was amazing. We shared the “Peeky Toe” Crab Cake, the Calamari, the Potato Wrapped Red Snapper, the fish of the day, the Valrhona Chocolate Soufflé and the Raspberry Napoleon. The well-filled crab cake was amazing and the pieces of fish were huge and perfectly cooked. Normally a chocolate fan, I found the Napoleon to be the better of the two desserts.

We walked around the Boardwalk and then walked over to Epcot’s EMH around 10:45pm to maybe catch a ride or 2 and then the bus. We headed straight over to Test Track which we could hear whirring throughout the empty park. We exited the video presentation room to see that the ride was in a holding pattern. After 10 minutes they got it up and working. After sending out another set of cars, it broke down again. We took this as a sign and left. On the way out, we were stopped by Stitch who wreaked havoc in our pictures. We were on the bus back to CSR in no time. The bus lines were pretty quiet this evening.

Friday, September 16, 2005: Animal Kingdom called us around 10:30am. We got there just in time for a showing of Festival of the Lion King. The energy of this show was incredible. The cast was having a great time ensuring that we were having a great time. Lines at the Animal Kingdom were non-existent. We walked right on to Kilimanjaro Safari, Tough to Be a Bug, Kali River Rapids, Primeval Whirl and the Rafiki Plant area. The safari was neat, but for some reason I was expecting to see more animals cohabitating with each other. Again it was hot and humid. I was extremely disappointed with the Kali River Rapids. Aside from the one major drop (where no one in our boat actually got all that wet) there wasn’t much too it. The Grizzly River Rapids at Disney’s Craptacular Adventure was so much better in theming and in ride. We ate at the FLAME TREE BBQ and had the BBQ Pork Sandwich and the Chicken Salad. The food was incredible. We saved the frozen lemonade desserts for later and I managed to lose the receipt. (It really didn’t matter because the restaurant was closed when walked by it later.) We ended our day at Animal Kingdom riding Dinosaur. All I can say about that ride is, “Wow!” It was like Indiana Jones at Disneyland, but on steroids. This is by far one of the best rides in the Resort. There was nobody (and I mean nobody) in line when we pulled back in that they allowed our entire car to stand up and sit right back down and ride the ride a second time. It was just as much fun, if not better, the second time around. We closed down the park at 5:00pm and headed our hot and sweaty selves over to Epcot.

After more pictures with Goofy at AK, we were at Epcot by about 5:45pm. We walked right on to Spaceship Earth to cool off and enjoy some peace and quiet. We waited about 25 minutes for Soarin’. Soarin’ is everything I remember it being at DCA. The music, sights and smells are just wonderful. After a boat mishap across the lake, we went over to BIERGARTEN for dinner. We passed on reservations for BOMA at the Animal Kingdom lodge because we weren’t hungry yet. With no reservations, we waited about 25 minutes for dinner. We were still eating dinner during Illuminations, but our waitress told us to go outside to watch it and then come back in for dessert. Illuminations was a good show, but I don’t think Germany is the greatest place to watch what’s going on on the lake. We walked back into BIERGARTEN and had a leisurely dessert. The park was officially closed long after we left the restaurant. Having the park to ourselves, we walked slowly to the busses. Again, there was no line and very little wait to get ourselves back to CSR.

Saturday, September 17, 2005: Having been to Epcot twice and pretty much not doing anything there, we finally experienced Epcot around 11am. We rode Test Track and our car malfunctioned during one of the major tests. The sound effects didn’t quite mirror what our almost stopped car was experiencing. The cast member let us go back on again and the ride worked perfectly. Test Track is a well-themed amazing ride. None of us had the stomach for Mission Space, so we passed on that. We waited 25 minutes to go experience Soarin’ for the second time on our trip. (This seemed to be the longest wait on our trip.) We had a basic lunch at LIBERTY INN. I had the Bacon Double Cheeseburger and my wife had the Turkey Sandwich. We wanted to experience different cuisines, but the air conditioning of this restaurant made the final decision. We saved the Apple Cobbler and the S’mores for later, but we never seemed to get back to the restaurant to eat them. Better for the waistline I guess. The World Showcase Pavilions are fascinating to look at, but the propaganda from each show was a bit annoying. We saw some Chinese acrobats performing outside in the heat. They were amazing, but we could only stand in the sun for so long. How they were able to keep it up is beyond me. Maelstrom makes no sense and El Rio Del Tiempo was….ummmm…..Air Conditioned. Oh yeah….and I learned that Canada is beautiful. If there’s any rich history there, then they might have cut it from the film. We ended our Epcot day with Journey into Imagination with Figment. The look on my face at the end of the ride sent everyone into major laughter. What the hell had I just ridden? Apparently I’m not using my imagination well enough.

We left the park around 5:45pm and headed back to the hotel to shower and change and go to ARTIST POINT at the Wilderness Lodge. Bus hopping from Epcot to CSR to MGM to the Lodge was simple and quick.

ARTIST POINT was spectacular. We shared the Crispy Venison Spring Rolls, the Duck Confit, the Grilled Beef Tenderloin, the Grilled Buffalo Ribeye, the Cobbler and the Coffee Two Ways. Each and every item was perfect. The Beef was so tender you could cut it with your pinkie. The presentation was top notch and it was well worth the 2 dining points. On our way in, we saw the WHISPERING CANYON CAFÉ and it looked like a lot fun. So much so that we chose to go there the next night. But before we jump ahead, we had to head back to our hotel. The bus to Downtown Disney came pretty quickly, but we had to make a pit stop over to the Grand Floridian which seemed really out of the way. The ride to Downtown Disney felt like forever and a day. We got off the bus at midnight…just in time for a small fireworks show over Pleasure Island. There was one standing room bus load waiting for our bus back to CSR/AKL. There were some drunken conventioneers staying at our hotel waiting in line as well. The bus showed up in about 15 minutes and we were at our hotel in an OK amount of time.

Sunday, September 18, 2005: We finally made it to MGM. We arrived just in time for the Beauty and the Beast show. We sat right behind the sound board. I was not very impressed with the show. I’m not sure what I was expecting but it seemed that the timing was off, the story was stilted and the energy was just down. We quickly washed away that feeling by walking right on to Tower of Terror. Seriously…we walked out of the Library and right into the elevator car. DCA’s version is just fair compared to MGM’s. We waited 10 minutes twice for Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. Had the front row the first time and the middle the second time. This ride really feels different depending on where you sit. The front feels more controlled while the back is very disorienting. All in all…a wonderful ride. I was very disappointed with the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. It felt like a rip off from Universal Studios Hollywood in so many ways. It was neat to see the sets move, but the payoff in the heat and humidity wasn’t there. Star Tours was the same as in Disneyland but the outside theming was much better. Our last lunch at BACKLOT EXPRESS was much like our first lunch the VILLAGE HAUS. Grilled Turkey and Cheese and Chicken Fingers. Both were very good and it was nice to be out of the hot weather. Once again we never went back for our Chocolate Cake or Cherry Cooler. Lights, Motors, Action was a much better show than Indiana Jones. The behind the scenes talk and descriptions made this show a lot of fun. We got pretty good seats showing up just 5 minutes before show time. Having been a tour guide at Universal Studios Hollywood, I had some sort of expectation for the Great Movie Ride and the Backlot Tour. I’m not sure which ride was worse. They packed us in like sardines on the Great Movie Ride when there were obviously short lines waiting to get on. Do you really need 6 in a row when the park isn’t crowded? The ride was neat to look at, but the live tour guide was just a waste. This ride could have easily been a sit down and relax ride. As for the Backlot Tour, we waited about 15 minutes to get to the “first” section of the tour. The Pearl Harbor demonstration was OK, but Universal had been doing this same thing for years. They rushed us through the prop warehouse to wait something like 15-20 minutes to board the tram. Two empty trams passed us before we finally sat down. In fact, we waited so long; the following group had time to fill in some empty seats. Our guide was bland and boring and apparently hot herself. We passed by a water tower with no water, cars from movies that we couldn’t care less about, closed wardrobe shops and finally Catastrophe Canyon. The effects in the canyon were really cool. Disney really likes fire in all their shows don’t they? We rode by more cars from movies we didn’t care about and got to pass backstage of the Lights, Motors, Action show. This was actually kind of neat seeing the stunt men prep while the show was going on. We made a U-turn and….What??? That’s the tour? Are you out of your minds? We waited all that time for this garbage? Why not just make Catastrophe Canyon a walk-through ride and save on the gasoline for the trams? Did I miss something? Was there something cut from the tour? Will I get that hour of my life back somewhere? What a horrible disappointment. So we washed down our pain and made our last ride at the Walt Disney Resort the Tower of Terror. And boy did we finish with a bang. We went up and down the drop chute 5 times. What a way to cap off the parks.

We headed out to the busses and back to Wilderness Lodge to go to WHISPERING CANYON CAFÉ. At this point, we had used up all our dining points and paid for it ourselves. Treating ourselves to FLYING FISH and ARTIST POINT removed 4 of our 5 points. Oh yeah….except for one frozen banana…all our snacks were used on much-needed water. The bus to WL came within 5 minutes and we were at the lodge in no time.

I’m not a big loud noise and kid-filled restaurant kind of person, but WHISPERING CANYON was so much fun. I don’t even know where to begin. Where ARTIST POINT was a refined dining experience, WHISPERING CANYON was quite the opposite. Our waitress was hysterical. With straws all over the place and our neighboring table having some sort of ketchup fetish, our table enjoyed the All-You-Care-To-Eat Skillet. Everything in that skillet was great. The salad, cornbread, Yukon gold mashed potatoes, beans, cole slaw, ribs, pulled pork, chicken and sausage we wonderful. Completely sober, I found myself riding my “horse” around the restaurant with a group of 6 year-olds. I took my various oaths and got my “Pony Express” certificate. This was just one of those places that you just have to go in and think, “I’m going to have fun.” And you will. As we left the restaurant, one of the hostesses told me that I rode my horse well. It had been well over an hour since those festivities and she had noticed. Kind of a nice touch.

Since MGM was having the EMH, we hopped a bus to the Studios and then sweet-talked the dispatch officer to send a bus our way. And lo and behold…he did.

Monday, September 19, 2005 CHECK-OUT DAY: We had a bus pick-up at 10:15am for a 1:25pm flight. We brought our luggage to the hotel/airline check-in at 9:30am and had our boarding passes in about 2 minutes. If you fly on certain airlines, you can check your bags all the way to your final destination. This was great. The bus came right at 10:15 and we were at our terminal by 10:50. We happened to be the last hotel stop before departing the WDW Resort. I’m not sure how many stop the bus had made prior. Our luggage arrived safely in Los Angeles and it was the end to an almost perfect trip.

Random Thoughts:

Coronado Springs Resort: It’s a nice hotel but it’s really really big. If you find yourself out on the far side of the hotel, it’s a long walk to get a cup of coffee or pick up any packages you had sent from the various theme parks. They have less than 200 King room for the 2,000 plus rooms on their premises. The rooms are clean and spacious and come with refrigerators. The “dig site” pool area is nice, but shouldn’t be your main draw to the hotel. Their Wi-Fi access isn’t the greatest in the lobby and convention area. The staff is friendly overall and their bus system is exceptional. The hotel is centrally located to all the parks although it seems that the Swan and the Dolphin are really the legitimate center. Nothing is in walking distance to the hotel so you are at the mercy of the busses and/or rental cars.

Busses vs. Rental Car: I thought about renting a car and it turned out that it was not necessary. It was nice letting someone else drive me for a change. We were very lucky at our hotel, but it seemed that other hotels were slammed with bus lines all week long. Most notably Pop Century and the All Star Resorts. Unless you really are a control freak, the bus system is the way to go.

Travel in September: It was hot and it was humid. Sometimes it was a little overbearing. But the crowds being next to nothing more than made up for it. I would go back to WDW in September without giving it another thought. Of course we slid in between two hurricanes, but that’s the chance you take.

Dining Plan: We originally had a AAA rate for the hotel and the difference between the AAA rate and the promotional free dining plan was $30.00 a day. Figuring we would easily spend $150.00 in food, we chose the “free” dining plan. I figure that the average price for a sit-down, counter service and snack ran us about $90.00 per day. But we rarely ate the desserts at lunch. So that figure was closer to $83.00 per day. Disney normally charges $70.00 per couple. We like to fine dine so the restaurants we chose would probably be places we would have gone to whether we were on the plan or not. If you are more of a counter service kind of a person, then the dining plan might not be up your alley. Tax and tip were included at every meal, but we slipped a few more dollars in for the excellent service.

OK…I think that this is way too long and I doubt anyone has read this far. If you have….and you still have questions, feel free to ask.

Great Report, we'll be there next week and I hope the crowds continue to be minimal. Glad you had a great time.

Eeyore, I thoroughly enjoyed your report, and no, it was not too long (mine is even longer). Your report included alot of info that someone could use to make their trip a good one. For instance, I never would have considered going to Whispering Canyon since I don't have kids. But if YOU had fun, I know I will. I'm just sorry that you passed up going to BOMA at Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was great! (so I guess you better book another trip) And thanks for not soley using abbreviations! You made it very easy to read! :)

You've given me some ideas on attractions & restaurants we'll hafta try when we go in January! Thanks for taking so much time on the details!

I read the whole thing!! I am glad that you rode a stick horse :rotfl: and had a great time!! I am also glad that this time next week it will be me!!! :flower:

Great report! Have a question or two.

So you mentioned you could have gone back for your desserts. Would you have had to go back to that very restaurant to get them? Or since you were probably in another area of the park, could you redeem your desserts at another restaurant? Just wondering. The frozen lemonades sound delicious.

Also how did you know how to get to the restaurants at the other resorts?

Thanks for the info on the crowds. We may try to go end of Sept 2006.

Good morning Hoosier,

Your dessert has to be ordered from the restaurant you are using your Counter Service Meal. Delaying or deferring your dessert is at the discretion of the person ringing up your meal. Except at Pecos Bills, everyone else had no problem with it. When you order your meal, you have to tell them what dessert you would like to order. Ask them if it's possible to pick up your dessert later so that you can enjoy it without having to rush. They will circle your receipt and put a note that you will pick it up later. One woman at the Backlot Express at MGM said that you could always change your mind if you decide later that you wanted a different dessert. BUT...it has to be at the original establishment and who knows if she was telling the truth about changing your choice.

Disney did well on us because we were too lazy to walk back to some of the restaurants or the place was closed in the afternoon. We could have gone back, but it turned out we didn't need the extra calories. Epcot would be the only place we would not have gone back to pick up the desserts because by the time we wanted them, we were nowhere near the Liberty Inn.

By the end of the day, we were trying to find people who wanted our receipt to go back and enjoy our free desserts, but that wasn't an easy task.

If you know you don't want the dessert, you can always offer it to the person waiting behind you. It might make their day that much more special.

Have fun!

-G

I loved your trip report!!

I just wanted to say something about the backstage tour though. ORIGINALLY, the tour was something like 4 hours long. They used to have, in addition to what they have now, a demonstration regarding the green background and computer imaging (believe it was from Honey I Shrunk the Kids). You also went into a sound stage where they did a demo about filming (believe it was from the Bette Midler film "the Lottery"). You also might be lucky enough to see a show being shot - we saw the one with Hulk Hogan and Carol ?? (TV show). After that, you got in the tram for the ride. Back in those days you saw the facades from various houses including the one from The Golden Girls. The new stunt show is on the property that contained the facades. Much, much more going on in the way of filming/developing TV and movies in Orlando.

I have to agree, that the tour as it stands today is a bit of a disappointment. I loved the original, but apparently people were reluctant to devote a full 4 hours to one tour ... and so began the dismantling of that attraction.

thanks for the report
question for you - I think Flying Fish sounds great but do they prepare fish fancy? what I guess I am asking is - does the fish still look like a fish? I love fish but am generally afraid to order fancier dishes as I am afraid the head will still be there :goodvibes

thanks!

All the fish dishes we ordered were nice big fillet cuts. There were no heads, tails, scales or fins attached to them. Their Potato Wrapped Red Snapper had a crisp potato exterior and a perfectly cooked red snapper inside. The "bagged" snapper was placed in a leek/red wine reduction sauce with a side of mashed potatoes. If you want to see a picture of it and part of their menu, you can go here ---> http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/menuff.html

Happy eating!! I'm jealous.

I'm glad to hear the tour at one time was something special. It's just plain pathetic as it stands today. I don't know if there's a Studio Tour at Universal Florida, but the Tour at Universal Studios Hollywood beats MGM to a pulp. They really should just make Catastrophe Canyon a walk through tour and just call it a day. Then again, after going through Earthquake and King Kong etc over 600 times in one summer, I may expect more than a family making their first visit to a "studio."

E-
Thanks for the great report. I enjoyed every word of it. We are going to CSR in Dec. What building did you stay in? How big is the refrigerator? Did you eat at the Pepper Market or Maya Grill? If so, how did you like them?

Thanks, :)

We stayed in Casitas 3 and overlooked the Lake. It was a great location in proximity to the lobby, the restaurant and the store. The store is helpful because you can have most items purchased in the park sent to the store for pick-up the next day. It was pretty much the furthest thing from the Dig Site swimming pool but only about a minute walk from the Quiet Pool. We were very close to Bus Stop #2 which is actually the FIRST stop on the loop around the resort. Therefore, there is usually nobody on the bus when it gets to you. Bus Stop #1 is the last stop and most people board there because it's near the restaurants and shop.

If the Dig Site pool is more of a destination you want, I would recommend the 9B Cabanas. It's close to the front and is quick walking distance to both the Dig Site and Bus Stop #1.

The Refrigerator is kind of your typical small one that you can fit a few drinks on the door and a small plate on each of the two shelves. I believe it was 1.7 Cubic Feet.

From reports that we read, the restaurants weren't supposed to be very good compared to others at Walt Disney World. I'm all about food so we chose other places to eat. We did eat the muffins from the Pepper Market on the way to the parks and those were really good.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip and information. Glad you enjoyed it, hope we have as nice a time as you did.

Thanks for a great report, thought "Spectrotragic" was a bit mean though, maybe when you take kids you might soften to it :flower:

I'll be staying at CS next october, so it was good to hear about this hotel, especially the great bus service. Welcome home!

Claire xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter