Very limited ADR's and child with multiple food alergies

cathicool

Disney...On My Mind and In My Heart!
no flames please....

I booked a bunch of ADR's at the 180 day mark. But of course as plans get modified, so did the need for the ADR's. I have been diligently checking for certain places/times/dates, but I have not been successful in a few different dates.

I have a child with multiple medical issues and 18 food allergies, including some that are airborne. it isn't possible to just show up at a restaurant without a previous conversation with the chef to discuss what they can get and make for my child. it isn't possible to have food on hand for my child because of the extensive allergies. I typically speak with every restaurant starting about a month before our trip to arrange meals. well I am about a month before our trip and I'm still struggling with a few ADR's. we only do table service restaurants, because of my childs allergies.

has anyone been successful in getting someone to help you get ADR's because of a medical condition?

I've never had so much trouble getting ADR's before!

no flames please....

I booked a bunch of ADR's at the 180 day mark. But of course as plans get modified, so did the need for the ADR's. I have been diligently checking for certain places/times/dates, but I have not been successful in a few different dates.

I have a child with multiple medical issues and 18 food allergies, including some that are airborne. it isn't possible to just show up at a restaurant without a previous conversation with the chef to discuss what they can get and make for my child. it isn't possible to have food on hand for my child because of the extensive allergies. I typically speak with every restaurant starting about a month before our trip to arrange meals. well I am about a month

has anyone been successful in getting someone to help you get ADR's because of a medical condition?

Have you searched a variety of times and then selected from what is available? It may be difficult to get specific hard to reserve restaurants.
Options like the Captain's Grill at Yacht Club or Trattoria Al Forno on the Boardwalk are sometimes available when others aren't.

Have you considered eating off property? I feel for you with the food allergies, I really do, but are you expecting them to give you a priority reservation simply because you changed your mind on ADRs? You already have reservations to accomodate your child. Asking for reservations that aren't even available just because you decided to change plans is unfair to everyone who has already planned ahead. If you get a reservation, that means another family gets bumped. What if they chose the restaraunt for the food allergies options as well? Why are you any more important than them?

Agreed with the PPs - the issue isn't with your child's allergies. That was covered when you made your original ADRs. The issue is that you wanted to change things up past the point where reservations could be made. You have to decide if changing plans is worth it or not.

no flames please....

I have a child with multiple medical issues and 18 food allergies, including some that are airborne. it isn't possible to just show up at a restaurant without a previous conversation with the chef to discuss what they can get and make for my child. it isn't possible to have food on hand for my child because of the extensive allergies. I typically speak with every restaurant starting about a month before our trip to arrange meals. well I am about a month before our trip and I'm still struggling with a few ADR's. we only do table service restaurants, because of my childs allergies.

Since you are so limited I would look at resorts near or bring food your child can eat with you

I will say I know skeins with 17 food allergies some are air born (pean nute is one of then)

They have gone into anaflitic Shock a number of times they go to Disney once a year for 7-10 days and mostly eat at quick service places. But I will say you need to do what is best for your child

OP - I recommend that you at least bring some snacks for your child. I don't think you'll get any assistance making/changing your ADRs other than to keep checking back for cancellations. Could you possibly change any of your plans back to the original days/times in order to keep your original ADRs? Or add park-hoppers (if that helps)? While WDW does a great job with allergies, I have still heard of occasions when something "promised" beforehand was not available.

ADRs can be very had to get, especially for popular restaurants, typical meal hours (try for off-peak, like 2pm lunch or 4pm dinner) and certain times of year.

Good luck! and enjoy your vacation!

Also try the day before as people do canel things last minute. I know you will need a back up plane like bring your own food but you might find something last minute

One thing we have learned while booking ADRs for this trip is...

search BOTH "times" and "meals" in the system. For example, we found out that if you searched for "breakfast" at one of our favorite places, nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. But, put in a specific time, and suddenly there was *all* kinds of availability.

We also experienced the opposite of that - searched for specific times, found nothing, but if we selected a "meal" suddenly there were tables.

Don't know why; there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Just a tip.

Just out of curiosity, why do they need an entire month's notice? I know multiple people who have many food allergies and the restaurants are able to make them a meal that is safe for them to consume and they don't give any notice. Of course this is using lots of fresh products and not previously prepared or frozen, etc....
And I understand if say you want waffles and they need to use a certain mix for you. But that still isn't a guarantee they will definitely have it on hand when you are there. They do their best, but there are not guarantees of specific products.

It's just hard to believe with fresh produce, fruits and veggies, meats and such that they couldn't make a safe meal for your child. It might not be at the restaurant you wanted but there has to be some restaurant that has availability that is workable. Good luck finding something that works. And I agree with a previous comment suggesting bringing some safe snacks with you. I think that would be a very wise decision.

no flames please....

I know the struggle. I have an adult sister with a long list of severe food allergies, many of which are deadly for her, others which would just cause her severe pain. Cross contamination is a big concern, and advance notice she's going to a restaurant is a good thing.

Disney's chefs are so much more aware of this issue than those in many other places. I think getting in Contact with chefs at your chosen restaurants just a week or even a couple days ahead is sufficient at Disney. You still should check in with the chef when you show up for the ADR, though, just so everything is fresh on their mind.

Have you considered the table service restaurants at the moderate resorts? It's often easier to get ADRs there, since they aren't quite as convenient as others.

There is no provision for priority in getting restaurant reservations or getting reservations at certain times based on medical issues.

I'd agree that WDW restaurants probably do not need a month's notice. They probably wouldn't be able to stock anything they don't normally carry even a long way out. The only big issue would be the airborne allergies and that is something you'll have to take care of based on whether the allergen is present (i.e. 'Ohana will arrange it so that an allergic patron's table does not have peanut sauce, but it won't remove peanut sauce from other patrons' tables.)

I don't have any advice, but you have my sympathy. I had to make a bunch of changes to my travel plans a month out and have noticed less than usual openings in restaurants that are usually not that crazy popular. I've found a lot of availability in the new Disney Springs places, like Frontera Cocina.

Try some restaurants that are less popular but very good anyway. The chefs are all very accommodating to allergies. I have multiple allergies along with two boys who are also allergic to certain foods. The chefs always come to the tables and spent a good 20 min with us writing it all down, then offer us some decent options.

Restaurants that you can often get availability at:
MK: Liberty tree tavern
HS: 50's prime time, brown derby
EP: les chefs de France
AK: Tuskegee house or yak and yeti

Resort restaurants
Poly: Kona cafe (on the monorail)
Contemporary: the wave (on the monorail)
WL: whispering canyon and artist point (by boat from MK)

Also check restaurants at off times like between lunch and dinner.

Good luck

We are at WDW right now - check for availability at Trail's End. It's a buffet (no characters, except for some of the staff! LOL) but it might be an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter