Very Disappointed in Disneyland restaurants

I love the food at Disneyland, it is one of my favorite things about disneyland, oh man just thinking about the Monte Cristo makes my mouth water, i have also had great food at Wine Country trattoria and Pacific wharf cafe, i love there sonoma apple salad, one of my favorites. also the Blue cheese burger from Taste pilots. overall i love the food at Disneyland, not the Best in the world but definitely something to look forward too.

omg did u say taste pilots grill?? ooooo you are my new best friend carlos!!

i love the blue cheese burger also and taste pilots grill and WCT!!!!! mmm a panini and a prosecco sound so good right now

i love the alfredo lasanga, OMG what a great idea, the meatball sandwhich with extra marina, man my mouth is watering.

I have to add that Disneyland food is still way better than some of the food I've had at other theme parks - for the same price. Six Flags is just as pricey, and the food isn't nearly as good - in my opinion of course ... I know everyone has different tastes. :) Not everything is spectacular but there are things that I just absolutely love and I can't say that about any other theme park I've visited (Various 6 Flags, Universal Studios, Sea World, Great America, Raging Waters, etc.)

I agree that Napa Rose is the best restaurant at DLR so it's a shame that you didn't get to try it. I have never been to WDW so I don't have anything to compare but I think that the food at DLR isn't that bad. I think it depends on when you go (i.e. for which meal) and what you order. It helps to read other people's reviews of the food before going.

However, I am surprised that you didn't like Cafe Orleans because that is one of my favorite sit-down restaurants at the parks. Their gumbo and pomme frites are super yum! I also find the food at Goofy's Kitchen pretty decent...the had a huge selection of items both time I went (breakfast/brunch). Anyway, I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your dining experiences at DLR but I hope you had a fun trip anyway! :goodvibes

I didn't much like Minnie's breakfast, and I don't much care for Blue Bayou's one vegetarian option, but other than that I'm good with Disneyland restaurants. Especially love dinner at PCH Grill.

So I guess I feel the opposite way. NOt that I think it's the best ever, but I'm OK giving them money. :)

I have had many mediocre meals at PPH, but I am a serious fan of the Cream of Mushroom soup that they have. Can you say YUM!

I agree. Every time we shell out money for a character meal we feel cheated by the lack of good food. I usually stick with Blue Bayou during lunch so I can get my Monte Cristo since I know it's always good!

I am a self professed foodie snob, so yes, I agree with you, I think that most of the sit down food is horrible. Goofy's Kitchen was one of the worst breakfasts I've ever had. I prefer to eat from the stands - I kind of like the veggie gumbo, and or the Bengal BBQ. I think the best sit down food is the Mexican place inside the park, but even that is so so.

I think it is all OK, some a little less than OK and some a little more than OK. I didn't really like Napa Rose, but I think I need to try it again. Steakhouse 55 is very nice, love the corndogs, fresh churros, Riverbelle Terrace, ribs at Taste Pilot. No..they aren't gourmet, but they are tasty and really not ridiculously priced. I live in an area where you can't cross the street without hitting a Mexican restaurant, and most of the others are chain or local basic food. So, although I love foodie shows and such, finding foddie food isn't so easy. I see food at DLR as a little treat, but not something to plan a trip around. Most of the time, I don't go to a TS place the whole time I'm there. Eating in WDW seems much more of a hassle where you have to sweat PS and planning to get to that park at that time.

Not everyone is into restaurants like Napa Rose, so to say it's the best restaurant is subjective. There are lots of foodies, self-professed food snobs and people who want gourmet dining, so to those folks perhaps Napa Rose is the best. Other people I know think the best place to eat is Pink's Hot Dogs on La Brea out here in L.A., or The Gumbo Pot counter service place at the Farmers Market. It's all subjective.

Like Laurie (DizNee Luver) said earlier about her family, I'm a simple girl. I don't need fine dining or gourmet food. I will be happy with a hearty breakfast, and any meal that tastes good to me after that is what I consider good. Honestly, I have no interest in ever eating at Napa Rose because that type of food holds no appeal for me at all. I really don't even care for Blue Bayou - I love the atmosphere, of course, but the menu is too limited and I am pickier in what I like to eat to where the BB doesn't offer enough options for my taste buds.

Outside of DLR, give me a nice bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, a nice chicken dish, a nice pizza or a juicy burger and I'm happy! Inside DLR - and that includes DTD - I find many things that I like to eat at a variety of places, and eating at those places is truly a part of my whole enjoyment of going to DLR. Maybe prior to 1990 or so, I would eat the cardboard food at DL just to get some sustenance, and was bland and very much what I would expect for amusement park fare. Since 1991 or so, when DLR improved its food tremendously, dining has become a big part of my enjoyment in my trips now! I haven't had anything anywhere at DLR that I would say is even close to the worst meal I've ever had. I can't even think of the worst meal I've ever had at the moment, but I know it wasn't at DLR.

I love Goofy's Kitchen - it's my favorite place to eat in DLR (and has been for 17-18 years), and I would even eat there without the characters!! So, again, it all boils down to personal tastes, preferences, expectations, perspective...and what you're used to.

Not everyone is into restaurants like Napa Rose, so to say it's the best restaurant is subjective. There are lots of foodies, self-professed food snobs and people who want gourmet dining, so to those folks perhaps Napa Rose is the best. Other people I know think the best place to eat is Pink's Hot Dogs on La Brea out here in L.A., or The Gumbo Pot counter service place at the Farmers Market. It's all subjective.

Like Laurie (DizNee Luver) said earlier about her family, I'm a simple girl. I don't need fine dining or gourmet food. I will be happy with a hearty breakfast, and any meal that tastes good to me after that is what I consider good. Honestly, I have no interest in ever eating at Napa Rose because that type of food holds no appeal for me at all. I really don't even care for Blue Bayou - I love the atmosphere, of course, but the menu is too limited and I am pickier in what I like to eat to where the BB doesn't offer enough options for my taste buds.

Outside of DLR, give me a nice bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, a nice chicken dish, a nice pizza or a juicy burger and I'm happy!
Inside DLR - and that includes DTD - I find many things that I like to eat at a variety of places, and eating at those places is truly a part of my whole enjoyment of going to DLR. Maybe prior to 1990 or so, I would eat the cardboard food at DL just to get some sustenance, and was bland and very much what I would expect for amusement park fare. Since 1991 or so, when DLR improved its food tremendously, dining has become a big part of my enjoyment in my trips now! I haven't had anything anywhere at DLR that I would say is even close to the worst meal I've ever had. I can't even think of the worst meal I've ever had at the moment, but I know it wasn't at DLR.

I love Goofy's Kitchen - it's my favorite place to eat in DLR (and has been for 17-18 years), and I would even eat there without the characters!! So, again, it all boils down to personal tastes, preferences, expectations, perspective...and what you're used to.

I totally could have written the part I bolded above!

The things I love at Disneyland aren't gourmet meals, by any means. But they are things I LOVE. They are the Disney foods I crave when I'm not there. Like the chicken fusilli at Pizza Port. It's just pasta and sauce but for some reason I just love it. Same with the soup in a bread bowl at Pacific Wharf. Food snobs would turn their noses up at those things but I love and look forward to them.

Having been to DL prob 100 times or more and to DW 3 times I have to agree that I think DW's food is better and generally of higher quality however we always manage to find things we like and that are edible at DL as well. We like Cafe Orleans, Rancho Zocal, Taste Pilots, Tratoria (although I haven't been since it reopened) Napa Rose, SH55, and several others. There are those that I am NOT fond of but there are several that I like. I wouldn't say ANY of the restaurants are over the top although I very much enjoyed NR and SH55 but we always find something to satisfy us.

One thing I WAS dissapointed with on our latest trip was Country Bear. We have always enjoyed their hamburgers and esp the view over there. That has been one of our fav break spots to sit and relax and watch the ducks and the boats but the food was AWFUL. The hamburgers were puny and like a rock! I didn't try a burger anywhere else but I hope that is not how they ALL have gone!!

We had french market and have enjoyed them as well as CC, Ariel's etc and enjoyed pretty much everything but again if I had to chose I would take DW food any day. I had some AMAZING meals there!!

It met my expectations for theme park food. I hated Cafe Orleans, loved Ariel's and thought PCH breakfast and Goofy's dinner were 'meh'.

However, I did eat a broccoli and cheese soup in a bread bowl for lunch three days in a row from Pacific Wharf Cafe. :laughing:

I agree that if you care that much about the food you eat at a theme park, then it is too bad you didn't go to Napa Rose. Really excellent food, setting and dining experience. It's a must do on every trip we do there. I would much rather spend my money and have ONE really great meal there than to spend the same amount to eat two or three bad to so-so meals.

Looks like we all have our opinions and tastes, good days at the parks and not so good.

Jack

The things I love at Disneyland aren't gourmet meals, by any means. But they are things I LOVE. They are the Disney foods I crave when I'm not there. Like the chicken fusilli at Pizza Port. It's just pasta and sauce but for some reason I just love it. Same with the soup in a bread bowl at Pacific Wharf. Food snobs would turn their noses up at those things but I love and look forward to them.

Exactly...add me to one who like simple foods. Nothing foo-foo or fancy.

Woo hoo!!:cool1::cool1: Yay for the No-Foo-Foo club!:rotfl2::rotfl2::cool1::cool1: I do like a menu with a lot of options, so I can have a lot to choose from, but I end up choosing the simple, basic, anti-foo-foo foods!!

Oh My Yes..that soup in a breadbowl is great!

We just went to WDW last August and one thing I will say is that they have waaaay more restaurant options. We had the free dining so ate at a lot of the sit down restaurants where I would say the food was better. Normally I would not be able to afford to eat at the nicer restaurants. DL is more limited on its restaurants (unless you want character dining) but I still have my favorites. (Carnation Cafe, Blue Bayou, Plaza Inn) and of course Mimi's (offsite) :)

Woo hoo!!:cool1::cool1: Yay for the No-Foo-Foo club!:rotfl2::rotfl2::cool1::cool1: I do like a menu with a lot of options, so I can have a lot to choose from, but I end up choosing the simple, basic, anti-foo-foo foods!!

LOL! I should put "Member of the No-Foo-Foo Club" in my signature! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter