Vero update?

Vero4us

Earning My Ears
We are going to Vero in January and we were wondering if anyone can post an update on the resort. Have they given a date for the reopening? Thanks!

Originally posted by Vero4us
We are going to Vero in January and we were wondering if anyone can post an update on the resort. Have they given a date for the reopening? Thanks!

This is the information currently on the DVC Members' Website:

Disney's Vero Beach Resort remains closed temporarily as we complete a full assessment of the storm's impact to the property and move forward with recovery efforts. We anticipate a soft reopening of Disney's Vero Beach Resort by November 8, 2004. We expect that most of the resort will be open, however, some of the common areas may not be in full operation by this date.

Member Services is contacting those Members holding Disney's Vero Beach Resort reservations during the anticipated closure dates and offering them the opportunity to cancel their reservations without penalty, change their reservations to another DVC experience or rebook for future dates, subject to availability.

We'll continue to share updates as they become available, and we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.

You might also try doing a search for Vero, looking for posts made within the last 60 days. Some posters visited the area around the resort afterwards and gave us some first hand reports.

HTH.

Thanks CarolMN for your help! I keep forgetting that I can do a search:confused:

The resort must have sustained some pretty major damage if they had to be closed for a month and then reopen as a 'soft' opening. It will be interesting to see what it looks like.

I am a VB owner. I rarely complain about Disney or DVC. However, I have to say this whole VB thing is ticking me off. Why can't someone be up front about the damage sustained. They are NOT still assessing the damage. The damage is being repaired. They know exactly what damage has happened. Could they find something else wrong while repairing a problem? Sure. But I doubt very seriously if anyone will hold it against them if they need to make additional repairs.

I HATE when people say "As a DVC owner, I am entitled to........" That statement bugs me. However, I have to use those exact words this time. I do own a very small interest in VB and I really do think I am entitled to find out how much damage there is.

Okay, I am jumping down off my soap box now. Sorry. I just had to get that off my chest!

Lisa

I totally agree with you, Lisa. All of our points are at Vero and we have been a little anxious to get some information regarding our home resort. I do think it is owed to us. How often does something this catastophic happen? They should be able to put together some kind of information source - maybe a link on the DVC website - with regular updates. That really isn't too much to ask. It doesn't have to be detailed, just enough so us owners who care very much about Vero can feel like they are being kept in the loop.

I'm done with my ranting now! :crazy:

We drove by the resort on Tuesday.

There are still many semi trailers around the resort. There are no longer the huge drying machines or tubes hanging down from balconies.

The front entrance is still blocked with orange cones.

2 weeks ago there was a cement truck getting ready to pour something near the entrance to the pool/mini golf area.

I am in total agreement with the frustration that they have not told us more! As "owners", I think we have a right to know what happened. We still have to pay dues so we should know if what we are paying for.

Has anyone e-mailed MS to find out why we haven't been told more?

We still have reservations starting 11/8 and have not heard anything new.

It is upsetting that they would put a statement on the home page saying "we'll continue to share updates" and then they never update that statement once in over a month! (I check every day - if they are not opening, we need to plan a vacation elesewhere).

As I also have an 8th November reservation and I'm working on the 'no news is good news' scenario, but I too check the site everyday - and this forum just in case someone hears something before I do in the UK!

It would be reassuring if they changed the message just a little every couple of days.

Fingers still crossed ::yes::

I HAD a reserverion for 11/10 for two nights. A couple of weeks ago I called and asked for a status of what would and wouldn't be open, MS didn't know for sure. I asked if I could cancel my reservation and not have the points go into a holding account due to the uncertainty and they said no problem, so I'm staying somewhere else. Maybe next time.

The Seaside Scoop where a Vero native posts about the beach in Vero, is also talking about Disney planning to open ahead of schedule on November 8.

The beach all along the coast sounds likes it still in pretty bad shape and not accessible from most places. She reported that the beach next door, Wabasso Beach, is starting to undergo cleanup/reconstruction and access is blocked while they work. Peggy has also been warning people to be extremely careful while walking the beach since there is so much debris -- hunks of wood with nails, etc. -- washing up. She also warns against surfing because of the dangers of the "garbage" in the surf.

Originally posted by PamOKW
The Seaside Scoop where a Vero native posts about the beach in Vero, is also talking about Disney planning to open ahead of schedule on November 8.

The beach all along the coast sounds likes it still in pretty bad shape and not accessible from most places. She reported that the beach next door, Wabasso Beach, is starting to undergo cleanup/reconstruction and access is blocked while they work. Peggy has also been warning people to be extremely careful while walking the beach since there is so much debris -- hunks of wood with nails, etc. -- washing up. She also warns against surfing because of the dangers of the "garbage" in the surf.

Yeah, you have to be careful on the beaches now. We live in Melbourne (about 50 miles north of Vero). We were hit hard but not as hard as that area. I was shocked at the things that had washed up. It was totally unsafe. There was glass, nails, car parts, metal, etc. The sand also had a strange color to it in spots and smelled funny. It is going to take a long time to clean all the mess up.

Lisa

After the hurricanes, I e-mailed DVC customer service, hoping that they had some effective communications effort in place to address concerns that would normally surface under these types of circumstances. One would only assume that a large business of this sort would have a crisis communications plan in place and the ability to successfully carry it out--even if from a remote location. With technology as it is, this is certainly do-able.

Vested members have a right to know truthful information that affects property of which we have an interest. I am very discouraged on the way that this has been handled and the lack of upfront information. The one letter that we did receive several weeks after the first hurricane was rather vague. What is with society today? I would rather have the truth and deal with it than be the recipient of whatever someone thinks I want to hear or be given a sugar-coated pill. It might go down easy, but it doesn't last. And most of us are in this for the long-haul . . . until 2040.

Our dues are high enough; I'm wondering why they've not said anything about insurance, etc. We deserve honest updates, even if certain things are not yet known but at least are being addressed or worked on.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter