• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vero Beach

The two main reasons: Dues are sky high, Can't book WDW until the 7 month booking window

I saw the dues were $8 per point. I just can't book a beachfront hotel of that caliber for less than $200 which with my math it is about $125-150 depending on room.

There isn't much to do in Vero Beach either. The resort is nice, but beyond that Vero really is a dead town. There are some restaurants and stores, but that's about it. I wouldn't stay more than 3 nights there.

To the poster above I don't think people stay at vero to tour the town. people stay at vero for a relaxing Beach vacation which is exactly what the resort provides. If you want a more active beach town hilton head wins that one.

I saw the dues were $8 per point. I just can't book a beachfront hotel of that caliber for less than $200 which with my math it is about $125-150 depending on room.
Great way to look at it -- and appropriate if you plan to actually stay at Vero. However, there may be better options if you are thinking to buy Vero to book WDW, Grand Cal, Aulani, etc. Make sense?

You can see that HH is the second cheapest to buy with the second highest dues. The problem with the beach properties is not just the higher dues but the fact that most people buy DVC for WDW use, not the beach properties.
I bought HH because I stay there frequently in the summer and it is near impossible to book at seven months during that time of year. When I bought HH they actually had the lowest dues, but that changed fast.

I bought at VB to stay at VB after not getting the rooms I was looking for. (4th of July is busy i guess.)

But the beach is very shallow and there is a pretty steep climb to get from the beach to the villas (there are stairs but they are long). We prefer the wide, expansive beaches of the Gulf Coast. We visited once many years ago for two or three nights and that was plenty for us.

IMO one should buy outside of WDW to stay at those resorts. Buy at WDW to stay at WDW, buy where you love to stay.

Not doing so you run the risk of not getting the reservation that you want and IMO that risk has increased in the last year and will continue to do so.

:earsboy: Bill

I think I would stay there 50 points a year. I live in Florida and stay on the beach regularly. I should probably actually close on my first contract though!

Do you get all the benefits of DVC staying there except for the booking window? Like AP discounts?
I was wondering if a small amount would be a good entry point into DVC.

Do you get all the benefits of DVC staying there except for the booking window? Like AP discounts?
Yes, all DVC resorts have same benefits except for 11 month booking window on the one you own.

remember that perks like the AP discount can go away at any time.

buying at VB to use at wdw is too risky for me (due to a number of reasons which can be easily searched in the disboards history, but high annual dues is a good place to start).

We have owned at VB since 1998, but we have never stayed there. (I know, I know, but we beach at HHI and with family at New Smyrna and St. Simons.) We bought at VB because of the free ticket offer in effect at the time. We have used our VB points to stay at WDW resorts each year. We have used VB points to stay in different accommodations at OKW, SSR, BCV, AK, BLT, and Poly next month and we have never had a problem getting the reservations we wanted. However, we did have to buy at HHI to get summer at HHI, and I assume it's the same at VB.

I agree with OP. I bought 100 points at Vero because it was $50-$70 per point cheaper than other resorts. That pays for a LOT of years of slightly higher dues. I'm in the process of buying 50 more points at about about $40-$60 less per point than WDW properties. It's a big win in my book. So far, I've been able to book at 7 months just fine, but I'm not going christmas week, etc. I booked april/may and got what I wanted a couple of years ago. For our next trip during food&wine and halloween, I got 5 nights at Bay Lake standard view (the other views were available too), and my waitlist just came through for 3 nights at Boardwalk with a Boardwalk view! No complaints here!

Though it's been years since I've been to Vero, my brood loves it there and so do I! It is a very charming and laid back beach resort. Old school in many respects, and I love that. If I want busy, I'll go to WDW or Aulani or some mega beach resort. I bought a good chunk of points there about a dozen years ago.

I agree that if one wants to book WDW resorts, they really should buy a WDW resort. And vice versa for those wanting to stay at one of the beach resorts if they want to travel in busier seasons.

We have Vero points and use them to A) have a peaceful relaxing three or four days at the beach when the weather is nice; and B) have a nice place to stay in Vero when we want to see one of the very good shows at the Riverside Theatre in Vero. I would not want to to buy at Vero with a plan to spend a full week there.

If you're flexible with check in dates, and can plan ahead - it is not an issue getting WDW with Vero or HH. The dues are higher because they are beach resorts and due to the salt air have higher ongoing maint costs. We own at BCV and BLT but are thinking about adding some points at Vero. If you want a relaxing beach vacation there are not too many better options in the US!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter