• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vero Beach...few questions

AmyBeth68

Relentless Forward Motion
We will be at Vero Beach for four days at the end of April.

I did a search on Vero and there aren't that many posts, except the wonderful hidden treasures post that I plan to print out and take with me :).

But I do have a few specific questions that some of you owners or Floridians may be able to help with.

1.) Ocean Temp in April. Is the water warm enough to swim in? We are from NJ and so we're used to chilly ocean temps. Essential 70 is warm enough for us to swim LOL.

2.) Waves? Does the ocean have gentle waves or body-surfing waves?

3.) VB Resort: Do they have a kids evening club every night or only on specific nights?

4.) Where do I call to make PS ressies when it gets closer? Specifically we are interested in the character meal w/ Goofy.

5.) Have you ever done a Dolphin siteseeing excursion? I thought I had read about this once and it *may* be in the big post with tips/secrets and I may have missed it. If there is such a thing and if you have done this, is it worthwhile?

6.) Are there any sea turtle "events" during April or is this only in the summer? My daughter is very into Turtles and has been for years, I'd love for her to have some sort of learning experience if it is available.

Thanks a million!!! I hope I'm not repeating too many questions, but we're really newbies when it comes to VB!

We were in Vero in April last year and we spend summers at the Jersey shore -- so I think I can answer some of your questions:

1) The water temps a Veros last April were warmer than I have ever felt the ocean in Jersey (even in August).

2) The waves were bigger in Vero last April than I have ever seen in Jersey.-- need to watch the rip tides (just like in Jersey). --

3) We made PS for the Character breakfast when we checked in - I was able to get the day I wanted, but not the time I would have preferred. (This was Easter week). I do know you can make them ahead of time.

Not sure about the babysitting - we never used it. Vero is great! you will love it!

The gulf stream runs right off of Vero (the start of the tropics in Florida) and keeps the ocean temps moderate throughout the winter. Should be in the mid-70's in April. (By September you'll have bath water temps in the 80's).

Waves are unpredictable. I've never been to the Jersey Shore and not had waves. Sometimes in Florida the ocean can look like a giant lake with very few waves -- another trip will have crashing waves. Chances are you will have waves and surfing in Vero is popular. Heed the undertow warnings -- they are much more of a danger than sharks (which also aren't something to ignore).

I think the turtle nesting season does begin in April but it doesn't hit full stride and Disney doesn't start the walks until the summer months.

I would call the restaurants/resort directly to book PS. I'm not sure about the activities for children.

re 4) - the phone number I've used to get priority seating at Sonya's is 772-234-2180. You should be able to call them and schedule PS there.

I called the resort prior to our trip last time and asked them to send me an activity sheet. It won't be current for when you're there but it will give you an idea of what they offer for kids. DD9 did turtle walk in June and loved it!! My son was too young. I think I say people with body boards playing in the ocean but not 100%. Waves weren't too bad but did knock me off my feet a few times. I kept my kids close. Be sure and bring pails and toys for building sandcastles. They are overpriced at the resort. My kids enjoyed the mini golf and craft activities. Son also participated in all the sports available to him as a 5 year old.
Wonderful CM's there- One day when we came back to our room there was an autographed picture of Goofy and a sweet card from Jesse (very sweet female CM who took a liking to Trey). I think my daughter was jealous.

When we were there last June, they had the Disney Discovery Club from 5-8pm, ages 4-12 on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat. It included games, activities, dinner for a fee per hour (not sure what this was). They also had turtle presentations and adventures every day or so for your daughter. We are returning in June again this year - can't wait!! Have fun too! Sharon

As others have posted predicting waves at Vero is like forecasting the weather. We have seen huge waves at the beginning of our vacation and calm still water by the end. Thats just a toss up. They rent boogie boards for $7 per day, I believe. We purchased some last year so we didn't rent them.

Turtle siting in April is not likely. They don't begin nesting until mid to late May, June and July are peak for this.

We haven't done the character breakfast in years but have not noticed huge crowds on the two mornings that it is offered. Same goes for Sonya's seafood buffet night, we call the day we are going to dine.

They ahve greatsactivities for the younger set and have really developed their sports offerings for the preteen and teen set over the last 2 summers.

My question about the waves was really more a general question. I know there are some beaches in Florida where it is generally calm. I believe that may be on the Gulf Coast but I just want to make sure that I'm prepared w/ our boogie boards just in case ;). As one who has grown up with the rough surf and wicked undertow of the Jersey Shore we do know that beach/wave conditions can change in a moment. I was just trying to characterize the beach action in general terms :).

Thanks to everyone for all the great replies!!! You guys are making me even more impatient to get there. Especially as I look out my window and see SNOW! Yuck :).

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter