• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vero Beach 2014 Information & Adoration Thread

People have mentioned eating at Ocean grill which is on the ocean. We never ate there, did eat in Mulligans in Vero, you can eat outside but I think the dune prevents a view from that restaurant.

Just curious as to what else everyone does in the area? I also hear a lot about a shopping area and movie theather located in the area? Does anyone know how far this is from the resort?? We've been quite a few times and enjoy it very much, just want to make sure we arent missing out on anything in the area... i'd say within 20-30 mins driving. Thanks for all replys.

Random question: does anyone do the drive down A1A from 528? I'm more in the mood for some scenery and local flavor than just a quicker inland route. Or is this just a very ill-considered notion?

Great idea, but not really worth doing. A1A is not a pretty beachfront highway. You will meander thru Melbourne and from there down to Sebastian and the corner of Florida 510 is just not an inspiring drive.
There is one cool stop along the way-a small museum dedicated to the shipwreck of the Spanish fleet in 1715. This explains why the area is called the "Treasure Coast". My DD9 LOVED this place even though it is really not a spectacular facility-her imagination ran wild after visiting. Even if you drive down 95 from 528 to VB I might consider checking it out on a rainy afternoon or if you just feel like getting away from the resort.

Just curious as to what else everyone does in the area? I also hear a lot about a shopping area and movie theather located in the area? Does anyone know how far this is from the resort?? We've been quite a few times and enjoy it very much, just want to make sure we arent missing out on anything in the area... i'd say within 20-30 mins driving. Thanks for all replys.

So my in-laws live 1 mile south of the resort. We visit pretty frequently.
Vero Beach has two downtowns-the one on the island (down A1A from the resort) and the one on the mainland. The one on the beach is pretty snooty but there are a few places worth visiting-
Kilwin's Ice Cream
Mulligan's restaurant
Bobby's restaurant (in a hotel-all the locals go. Great pub menu and steaks-prime rib specials. No atmosphere.)
We also like the restaurants on the river in Sebastian, about 15 minutes from the resort.
Squid Lips has unbelievable bacon-wrapped grilled scallops-my birthday dinner every year we are not on DCL.
Capt. Butcher's is good too. There is another Mulligans on the same strip.
Two movie theatres-the Majestic is the nicer of the two and closer-20 to 25 minutes from the resort. The other is at the Vero Beach Mall, way out US60 almost to 95. The mall is nothing to write home about.
The Vero Bowl is pretty nice if you get a bunch of rain.

Great idea, but not really worth doing. A1A is not a pretty beachfront highway. You will meander thru Melbourne and from there down to Sebastian and the corner of Florida 510 is just not an inspiring drive.
There is one cool stop along the way-a small museum dedicated to the shipwreck of the Spanish fleet in 1715. This explains why the area is called the "Treasure Coast". My DD9 LOVED this place even though it is really not a spectacular facility-her imagination ran wild after visiting. Even if you drive down 95 from 528 to VB I might consider checking it out on a rainy afternoon or if you just feel like getting away from the resort.

That is some very useful information. Thanks so much; I really appreciate it!

I apologize if this was already mentioned here on the thread. I spoke yesterday afternoon with a Cast Member who works at Disney's Vero Beach resort while making my dining reservations for the Thanksgiving buffet. She told me that as of 10/1/14, all dining reservations will now be handled via the WDW dining phone line. She said the CMs who answer the phone line will be made familiar with Shutters and Sonya's. If while you are staying at the resort and you wish to make a dining reservation, you can still go to the podium or call the local phone number.

That already happend when I called two weeks ago. Icalled the number of the front desk and after some automatic questions I ended at the WDW adr line. It took memsome time to explain the CM that I dont want a reservation at the Beach Club but at Vero Beach. Will see next week if it worked :-)

A few weeks ago I called to get a diner reservation at shutters. I know we can go elsewhere we just really love to hang at the resort. It was after hours so I called Vero and got the automated dinning number. It sent me back to dinning. The wait was 90 minutes at 8pm at night so I called and talked to a CM at Vero who got my reservation. It showed immediately on MDE. Why not put VB on MDE. Looking forward to going back to Vero next month.

Hi there fellow Vero Beach lovers!:thumbsup2 Does anyone have any info on the Teenightz that are run at the resort? Times/months/prices? My boys will be 13 and 14 when we visit next October and would be interested in this.:goodvibes

We head to Vero tomorrow for a long weekend. It will be just me and my husband (we are empty nesters...boy, do points last longer when you only need a studio!). Anything I can check on for anyone? I plan to spend the majority of my time on the balcony with my Kindle but would be happy to take a picture or check on an activity. We likely won't leave the property.:beach:

We head to Vero tomorrow for a long weekend. It will be just me and my husband (we are empty nesters...boy, do points last longer when you only need a studio!). Anything I can check on for anyone? I plan to spend the majority of my time on the balcony with my Kindle but would be happy to take a picture or check on an activity. We likely won't leave the property.:beach:

Have a great time with your Kindle - sounds like a great plan for a long weekend!!

If you have time to take a picture of the current menu at Shutters I would very much appreciate it! I have been trying to find info about the menu and with the ones I have found, I am not sure at all about how current those are. Thanks!!

I am on the fence about the Sunday buffet... If you are doing the Sunday Buffet let me know if it is worth it. My kids are 11 so we would be paying adult price for all of us. we will be there the 19th.

Vero, barrier island native of 13 years here
A1A from Sebastian southward is a stunning drive. On the barrier island, northern Vero according to the farmer's alamanac, is the northernmost region on Florida's east coast that possesses a true tropical climate. From Sebastian southward you see tropical plants that can't survive anywhere else in the continental United States. Sebastain and northern Vero are in a climatic transition zone, which is why it's the only place in the world you'll see large fruiting coconut palms growing next to live oaks. That's why going south on A1A from Sebastian is such a treat, it's where central Florida ends and south Florida starts. The ocean is also visible throughout a bulk of the drive. Driving inland is undoubtedly more efficient, but for a traveler I'd highly recommend A1A.

Are there any fast food restaurants nearby for a quick breakfast? Or, is eating breakfast at the resort the only option?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter