Verizon FIOS?

uromac

DIS Veteran
Hi!

Our neighborhood in South Jersey is having Verizon Fios installed soon. Does anyone have this service for their computer, tv, phone - and how do you like it? Right now we have Comcast for our Computer and TV and the cost is a lot for 4 boxes (1 HD DVR) premier service plus our cable for our computer. We do have a Verizon land line for phone service currently, but use Sprint for our cell phone service as it works the best for our needs at home and at work (we've tried several companies many times) . BTW, We are wired for comcast now - do they have to come in our homt to rewire for verizon service? How is the service for those who have FIOS i.e. cost compared to service (specifically comcast), Hi speed computer connection reliability (sometimes cable ours is off line on occasion), channel selection and or packages for TV, boxes for each tv and/or HD DVR, sound quality for phone, picture, and computer speed, and price $'s, etc..

We haven't gotten any real info yet and I have gone on their website, but I do not know if they will be offering any special packages because our area is going to be wired for FIOS.

Thanks in advance - I really trust the DIS for unbiased consumer opinions!

Melissa:)

Hey, we have FIOS in our neighborhood. Havent gotten it yet but my sister lives in cherry hill also and she got the package and LOVES it. So I guess I better give it a try..

My cousin has 4 boxes for the tv's, has the phone and the modem ... she only pays about $120 and LOVES it!! She lives in Audubon.

I live in Morris County and supposedly, my neighborhood was the first in the entire county to get it. We've had it for over a year now on phone and internet. TV is being installed in August - we've had DirectTV for years and Verizon wouldn't buy out the contract. Anyway - we have the typical service and for the TV we will have 3 boxes - no HDTV or TiVo or anything like that (we're not big TV watchers.) The monthly cost for all three will be $95 plus $10-$15 I think for HBO.

I really like the service. Any problem at all we've had with the phone is addressed immediately. My only issue is my modem is set up on a stand-alone computer in my basement (we have laptops upstairs). I have a very low internet connection upstairs in my bedroom. I'm in a split level so technically, the modem is 3 levels away and on the polar opposite side of my house. When you do the TV service they upgrade the modem to accomodate the service and I've been assured the connection throughout the house will be "Very Good - Excellent". We'll see...

Money-wise I'll be saving a buttload with putting TV onto the plan. We also have Verizon Wireless (family plan, 2 lines) but that can't be bundled into the package - unfortunately!

I love FIOS!!! We had Cox before. Now we have around 20 more channels, faster internet and a DVR box and we are paying about $25 less than we did before. I say go for it!!:surfweb:

I was just wondering this myself. The Verizon people just started marking the ground in the neighborhood to run the cables. Right now we are on Comcast broadband and basic cable. So Verizon Fios broadband runs faster than cable?

We have verizon wireless, fios, and freedom essentials bundled it's a great plan. It's a lot easier to just pay one bill each month and we save about $30 over our previous plan through Time Warner Cable.

Thanks everyone for your comments - looks like everyone is happy with Fios and it seems to be a better deal than cable - we will definitely look into it when it is installed in our neighborhood (Voorhees). Right now they've only marked our lawn - so I don't know when we will actually be able to switch our service once we have all the details.

Thanks again!

Hi!

Our neighborhood in South Jersey is having Verizon Fios installed soon. Does anyone have this service for their computer, tv, phone - and how do you like it? Right now we have Comcast for our Computer and TV and the cost is a lot for 4 boxes (1 HD DVR) premier service plus our cable for our computer. We do have a Verizon land line for phone service currently, but use Sprint for our cell phone service as it works the best for our needs at home and at work (we've tried several companies many times) . BTW, We are wired for comcast now - do they have to come in our homt to rewire for verizon service? How is the service for those who have FIOS i.e. cost compared to service (specifically comcast), Hi speed computer connection reliability (sometimes cable ours is off line on occasion), channel selection and or packages for TV, boxes for each tv and/or HD DVR, sound quality for phone, picture, and computer speed, and price $'s, etc..

We haven't gotten any real info yet and I have gone on their website, but I do not know if they will be offering any special packages because our area is going to be wired for FIOS.

Thanks in advance - I really trust the DIS for unbiased consumer opinions!

People that I know who have it love it. They can't believe how clear their tv channels are.

We don't have it in our neighborhood yet. But when I do, I can't wait to tell Cablevision where to put their cable.

They are doing the above ground people first. I call each month, and each month they tell me soon...my utilities are below ground. :sad2:

So Verizon Fios broadband runs faster than cable?

Yes it does.

The only item I suggest (I read this in the local papers) is that you ask Verizon to leave your normal phone wire alone when they do the install. They remove your phone lines (since you'll be using fiber optic), so if you ever are unhappy and want your normal phone back, they have to come & reinstall the wires from your house to the pole.

Love our FIOS service; we had RCN and hated it. We are paying $75 less a month and have more channels, clearer channels and a huge On Demand library to choose from; all for $99 a month locked in at that price for 2 years.

Love our FIOS and it is costing us $125 less per month. Just a word of warning - when the installation was done in our house the tech did the installation on two laptops in our house and never mentioned it was $75 per computer to set it up. I called verizon and apparently this is not uncommon. They did remove the $150 from the bill, but be sure to ask the cost of putting it on your computer.

I was the first install in Cherry Hill (using the Haddonfield CO). We've had FIOS for almost a year now --we got it installed about 8-9 months ago.

Previously we had Directv and honestly we miss some of those features. The DVR Fios gave us is newer technology than my older Directv box. The video on demand is amazing and we all enjoy that.

The Internet seems to be fine. We did have a router issue, and Verizon came out today (yes, on SUNDAY) to fix it.

Our Fios bill is less than our Directv bill.

One word of warning -- Fios install takes a long time. Granted we were the first one for the CO, so we had about 12 different techs out at our house. (some were supervisors, some were trainees, some were just curious)The install itself took about 6 hours as well--but again, this is the first in our area.

One word of warning -- Fios install takes a long time. Granted we were the first one for the CO, so we had about 12 different techs out at our house. (some were supervisors, some were trainees, some were just curious)The install itself took about 6 hours as well--but again, this is the first in our area.

My co-worker's install took 8 hours with 2 techs, my brother's took under 3 hours with 1 tech (two different areas of NJ)

My co-worker's install took 8 hours with 2 techs, my brother's took under 3 hours with 1 tech (two different areas of NJ)

I guess they are improving the installation process. Like I said we were the first install and we had a lot of techs training on the process. Some of the Verizon employees were documenting, taking pictures, etc...

We switched to FIOS tv and it is FABULOUS! The installation did take about 5 hours and a few frustrating phone calls to get it all set up right - and one more visit down the road to fix a signal problem. Now it works great - even during storms that used to cause our cable to go out. We had Brighthouse cable before and it is awful (IMHO!).

Our connection problems appear to have been caused by the contractor (not a true Verizon employee) and the improper connection he did. This, is according to the Verizon employee who showed up a few days after the initial install and corrected some problems.

It's been worth the wait to get it right - tv is sooooo clear and we have Boomerang channel (classic cartoons), too! AWSOME!!

I am anxiously awaiting this service here in Central, NJ. We are close to a Verizon office, and it is my understanding that that is important when they consider where to place the service. It is great that you can lock in for a year or two at the $99 rate. I wonder where the rates will go after your initial contract?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter