verandah's and kids

my2kids

Mouseketeer
We were upgraded to a cat 6 with verandah and i am elated! But.... I am worried about the door and railings... I have a tall 7 yr old and a very rambucntious 4 yr old girl .. are the railings very tall and is the door heavy enough that she cant open it?

We were upgraded to a cat 6 with verandah and i am elated! But.... I am worried about the door and railings... I have a tall 7 yr old and a very rambucntious 4 yr old girl .. are the railings very tall and is the door heavy enough that she cant open it?

They are very safe and no one has ever gone overboard, they are high, but I would introduce your children as soon as you get on, and explain the risks.

Now not to worry you but ask the stateroom host to take the round small sofa out of the room, my son aged 4 at the time, rolled this to the door and was able to stand on it and open the latch, I did this to test him, he is very enterprising and was able to work it out.

I am 5'8 and the rail is just below my breast line. I have very tall kids though DS is 5"7 age 11 and DD is 4'10 and age 7, but I have always felt they were safe out there and we have been cruising since my DD was 2. The rails are very high. The doors are very heavy. Actually some adults have issues opening them.:lmao: No worries. The only way I would worry was if your 4 year old was a climber and you had plan to leave the door open and the kids in the room alone.:rotfl2: So enjoy your upgrade and do not worry at all; beside the fact you will now be hooked on a verandah and the rest of your cruises will co$t you more.:lmao:

Verandahs are wonderful! Yes, my recollection is the door IS heavy. But, to be honest...I also recall furniture (a small table?) being on the verandah and thinking at the time that a young-youngster could climb up on that quickly. So, the door is heavy and hard to open...but when the 4 year old is out there, I recommend an adult be out there too!:thumbsup2

We were concerned last cruise as well. When our DD's were 5 and 6. As other posters have said the rail is high. We had very strict rules about them having to have an adult to be out there. Things were fine and the novelty of being out there wore out after awhile!

We were upgraded too and were also worried. We found the verandah to be safe, the railing were high. It went up to my daughter chin. We had strick rules, and enforced them everyday. We never let her out there alone, and kept the door shut if there was noone close by. We had no problems, and enjoyed the room.

Have fun!

You will love it, and once you lay down the law to your kids, you will all be fine.

Enjoy!

Don't worry ...my kids were too glued to the TV in the room, to even want to venture out onto the verandah !! :happytv:

I could barely get our door open. My DD is 9 and the verandah is high on her. You'll be fine once you give the kids the do's and don'ts.

We have cruised several times with a verandah, my kids are 6 and 3. They cannot open the door on their own. However, once they are out there my 3 year old son is a climber and we took the small table away because he would try to climb on that to look over the railing. Also we didn't let them be alone out there . . . but as another poster said, once they discovered all the movies on the stateroom TV they had little interest in the verandah! I think I saw 'Kung Fu Panda' about 30 times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter