Verandah with kids

Wymbolwood

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone - we're soon headed off on the Magic and have a room with a verandah. We are a little nervous about having a verandah with two little ones - not so much with our 6 year old but a little bit of worry with our 3 year old. Any thoughts or experience???

Thanks in advance.

Opening the door to the verandah is not easy. The bolt near the top needs to be turned in the proper direction to unlock it. This will certainly be out of reach of a 3 year old, and probably of a 6 year old. Then the door handle needs to be turned and pulled sideways without further turning. It usually takes me a full day to master the process of opening that door. As long as you keep an eye on the kids while you're on the verandah to make sure they don't climb on the furniture, you should be fine. If you're still concerned, I've heard you can ask your cabin steward to remove the furniture. We've cruised four times in a verandah cabin with a child under 5 and never had any problems.

Hello everyone - we're soon headed off on the Magic and have a room with a verandah. We are a little nervous about having a verandah with two little ones - not so much with our 6 year old but a little bit of worry with our 3 year old. Any thoughts or experience???

Thanks in advance.

We have cruised with a 5 yr. old & 18 mo. old in a verandah cabin. It is true the door is difficult to open. Of course you should be on the verandah any time they are, & make sure the tables & chairs are pushed away from the rail. Just common sense, and when they are asleep, you can enjoy the view!:)

had a verandah on our cruise with our 3 year old. No problems. We kept it locked and she only went out with us on it. We also moved the furniture back so she wouldn't be tempted to climb. She loved sitting in the chair and watching the water.

We made a rule for our 5 year old, no going out on the veranda without a parent. It is also really hard to open if locked:thumbsup2 We also made sure the chairs and little table were not near the rail.

As long as you are there with them on the Verandah, don't think there will be a problem. And as others have said the door is hard to open. We have two rooms with verandahs and our grandchildren, ages 5 and 7 at the time (June 2011), will be going this time.

If you have the clear plastic railing, not much to climb on as I recall from our last cruise on the Wonder. Did see a little one next door, maybe about 5, out by himself one morning trying to boost himself up a little to see. I told him to get down, even though it was probably none of my business. Couldn't believe parents would allow him out there by himself.

Sandy

Not a problem and not a worry. :goodvibes The door to the verandah is quite hard to open. We even have a hard time and my DH is as big as Shaquille O'Neal.:lmao: When you do gt out there :rotfl: the railing is as high as my breast bone and I am 5 foot 8.;)

I agree with the PP on this thread. One thing to remember though is that the door shuts HARD. Be careful/watchful of little fingers and toes (and big ones, too, for that matter). :)

I believe that most problems with falling off ship are due to drunk adults. Kids are much smarter!

-Paul

We've travelled frequently with little kids and like everyone said they won't be able to open the door by themselves. We just made sure we were always out there with them and had a very strict rule of no climbing on the furniture. (We also kept it as far back from the rail as possible.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter