• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Verandah v. Ocean View

Huskerdu

Earning My Ears
If you had the choice between a verandah and an ocean view, which would you go with?

I've had both and like the price and view much better with an oceanview. Anywhere in your room you can see the water, the porthole provides a sitting ledge too!!! The rooms seem a little more spacious... Esp. the rooms forward. We just had room 2012 and know for a fact this one is larger than the others along the middle corridor. Our stateroom hostess let us know too that room 2004 is even bigger.
However nothing beats rolling out of bed and going out to your verandah and watching the port come into view. It's a decadent way to start a day. However we felt more cramped in the room and couldn't really see the water unless we were on the balcony. There is usually a thousand dollar difference for us, so we would rather cruise more often without a balcony....... This is such a personal preference you will just have to decide...... Good luck it is a great trip either way! Have fun........

We sailed last week on the Western, and had a cat 4 (we hve 5 people) and they come with a verandah.

It depends on how much time you spend in a room and/or would use the verandah

For us, we were almost never in our room outside of sleeping and changing clothes for dinner. Yes we did go out onto our veranda and look out, but we never spent any real time on the veranda. It is nice to see the sea from your room, so a porthole would have suited us just as well.

I really believe it comes down to how much time you plan to spend in your room or out on a verandah. For us, we spent a lot of time out on our verandah. When the kids took a nap or went to bed early, we escaped with some wine and a cheese platter and had a romantic evening on our private verandah. Waking up early and stepping out listening to the ocean while everyone else slept in was great too. We will continue to book verandah rooms as long as we can afford it. It has spoiled us and is definitely worth the extra money to us. It's a personal choice that should be weighed according to your individual circumstances and preferences. Good luck deciding, either way you'll have a great time!!

Originally posted by disneystyle
I've had both and like the price and view much better with an oceanview. Anywhere in your room you can see the water, the porthole provides a sitting ledge too!!! The rooms seem a little more spacious... Esp. the rooms forward. We just had room 2012 and know for a fact this one is larger than the others along the middle corridor. Our stateroom hostess let us know too that room 2004 is even bigger.

I stayed in 2004 and thought it was bigger than the verandah room we were in on deck 6. At least now I know it wasn't my imagination ..

Having cruised with both a verandah and a porthole I don't think I would spring for the cost of a verandah again. Being able to see outside was as nice or nicer than the hot verandah. Next time I am trying an inside cabin - it seemed like the only time I was in the cabn I was sleeping or primping and I didn't need to see out for either of those activities.

It is a personal preference though.

We just returned from the 1/3/04 western trip. On this trip we had a Category 8 Oceanview room. We were in Room 2005 and it seemed larger than our Category 5 verandah room we had on our eastern trip in 2002. Having had both types of rooms, I think for us the oceanview room is the way to go. Our kids do not take naps during the day, so we spent very little time in the room. When we went on the eastern trip our daughter was 11 months old and we spent alot of time in the room while she was napping. Having the verandah for that was a Godsend. We saved $1000 by staying in the oceanview room, which we turned around and spent on our shipboard account. Enjoy your cruise. This was our third cruise and as soon as Disney adds a new ship or changes the itinerary on the Carribean cruises we will go back.

Assuming you can reasonably afford it, Verandah every time.

Even if you don't use it much, its still great to be able to step outside on the verandah if only for a few minutes when you wake up, just going to bed, or waiting for the rest of the family to get ready for fill in the blank

For us, it is simply not worth the extra $600.00 or so more between cat 9 and a cat 5 verandah....however, I can certainly see the allure, as we were lucky enough to be upgraded on our last cruise to a verandah....very very nice

As my tag says - have veranda will cruise! We like to spend time in the room and on the veranda and for us it is worth it. I love spending time out there with a good book and to me there is no better way to end the day than watching the stars from the veranda. We had an ocean view for a 4 day last February and it was really nice, but give me my veranda any time!

I haven't had an ocean view room, so I can't really compare.

I cruised in June and absolutely loved my verandah. I sat out there late at night, and very early in the morning while the kids slept. My future husband and I sipped wine out there in the late afternoon. I saw rainbows, sunrises and sunsets and I watched the ship dock while still in my p.j.s :o

There was just 3 of us, so the room size didn't really bother me.

Thanks everybody for responding. We signed up for the veradah. They say it has white vertical walls and a white floor. I guess that's good. We'll see.

Verandah for us! We enjoy early morning coffee on the verandah, and late afternoon bottle of wine and cheese platter. Nothing beats it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter