Veranda or ocean view?

robandkelly13

DIS Veteran
We'll be travelling with a 5 year old and I'm concerned about the safety of the veranda. Is it possible to fall off? I like the idea of a veranda, but I just don't know... Pros and cons of each?

We liked the ocean view over the balcony for the temperature control alone. I like it very cool in my stateroom and every time the veranda doors open, the temp rises considerably. With a child, you would just need to remove the furniture from the veranda to keep your child from climbing on it.

Fall off no, there is safety glass in the inside of the railing. Your child would need to pull themself up and over the rail, or as PP mention use the furniture as a step.

There's also the issue of actually opening the door.
I think it was day 3 when I could finally manage without asking my DH for help. :rotfl:

Literally thousands of children have stayed in cabins with verandahs over the years on DCL and they have not lost one yet. Of course not letting your child alone at any time out there is paramount....but the verandahs are quite safe.

I do agree with the room temp though....humidity and heat come in any time the door is open.

MJ

We've done both ocean view and verandah. DD7 loved the veranda like her parents, but she is older and had no problems just sitting and reading. If you can get the large window in the oceanview I think that would be nice too. We love having the fresh air and being able to go out and watch the ocean go by. Good luck on your choice.

Personally, I think it depends on the length of the cruise. On 3 and 4 night cruises, you are generally not in the stateroom much anyway. For that, for my family, Ocean view via porthole or as on the new Disney Dream, an inside cabin with the new VIRTUAL porthole, is perfect. On a longer cruise though, there is more time to enjoy the room, and for that reason, I'd take a verandah. :)

I agree with previous poster...it depends on the length of the cruise. If it was a 7 day I'd go with the verandah, but if its shorter ocean view. We usually get two rooms one inside and one verandah on our cruises since we are a group of 5, my family and my BF.

If you can afford it, go for the veranda. The door to get out to the veranda is so incredibly heavy, there is no way a small child could open it. As a safety feature, the lock for the door is quite high. We've sailed on the Magic with our daughter in veranda rooms since she was 3. (She is now 7.) I was also VERY concerned about this at first, but once you see how high the rails are and realize that it is highly unlikely that your child could get out there on his/her own, you'll be happy with the extra space of the veranda.

The door is VERY heavy, the lock is adult shoulder height. The railings on the verandah are almost 4 feet high with NO place to get a foothold (child would have to pull furniture over to edge and climb on that.)

All that said, the longer the cruise, the more time I spend in the cabin. On a 3 or 4 night, I wouldn't hesitate to book a cheaper cabin!

We have had both an Ocean View and a Veranda. We have rebooked our 3rd DCL with a Veranda.... we loved the sites, the sounds and being able to "step outside". Our kids are older DD16 and DS 11, but I agree with all of the previous statements. The door is VERY heavy (hard to open), the railing is high and is really not climbable! We love having the Verandah, but would not let that make or break our decision to cruise. Our first DCL was oceanview, got a great upgrade on our 2nd, and now we are "spoiled". There are plenty of other outdoor areas, so I would choose what you are most comfortable with. You will have an AMAZING experience with either choice! Enjoy!! :yay:

Verandah. I've done it twice with small children. Had the same worries. Now I wouldn't think twice. It's very safe.

I have to agree with the others posters who said that it depends on the length of your cruise. We've taken the 3, 4 and 7 night cruises and have had a verandah for all of them. To be honest, the only time that we actually used it was on the 7-night cruise. We're taking another 4-night in September and went with an inside room this time--we know that because it's a shorter cruise that we won't be in the room very much...mainly to sleep and shower. I think it all depends on what your family wants and whether or not you'll use it enough to justify the cost.

I have to agree with the others posters who said that it depends on the length of your cruise. We've taken the 3, 4 and 7 night cruises and have had a verandah for all of them. To be honest, the only time that we actually used it was on the 7-night cruise. We're taking another 4-night in September and went with an inside room this time--we know that because it's a shorter cruise that we won't be in the room very much...mainly to sleep and shower. I think it all depends on what your family wants and whether or not you'll use it enough to justify the cost.

Good thoughts! And with the new virtual portholes, the Dream will make saving money on staterooms that much easier :)

No safety concerns for me.....but unless I win the cruise or win the lottery I would book an oceanview cabin and save the money for excursions. ESPECIALLY on shorter cruises.

We book the verandah each time. We like to be out there watching the ocean go by, watching docking activities, coffee in the morning. Worth every penny.

We book the verandah each time. We like to be out there watching the ocean go by, watching docking activities, coffee in the morning. Worth every penny.

Agreed, even on a 3 day cruise! SO WORTH THE MONEY

For me, I feel like having a veranda makes me feel like I am part of the "activity" of the ship without actually having to deal with being outside of my private room. This is especially great if you have young kids and have to stay inside while they nap, or if you are feeling ill for a few hours and don't want to be out and about, or if you just want to get into comfortable clothes late at night but aren't yet ready for sleep, etc etc. The feeling of being out there in the darkness and having a light sea mist blowing at you and looking off in the distance at lights from a faraway boat or island - it really can't be matched for me in terms of peacefulness.

During the day, you will actually sometimes feel like you are part of a "veranda community" as you'll see lots of other folks out on their balconies, esp at port arrival and departure time. It is hilarious to watch the stragglers come in and just listen to all the sounds of the port activity. We often have seen dolphins which is always a treat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter