Vent - the complete disregard some people have for others

apirateslifeforme

The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
DH and I live in a condo complex. Our kitchen overlooks the front three parking spaces, which are front-to-back rather than side-to-side. My car is parked in the rear spot, back tires against the curb, more than three feet between the front bumper and the space's front line.

Last night, DH gets home and as he's taking off his shoes, facing the door, he watches a woman (in her 50s or 60s, who lives on the other side of the complex) attempt to parallel park her car in front of mine - and hit it hard enough to shake it. She then runs into the building while we're putting our shoes back on to go outside and look at the car. As we return to our deck, she comes back out...we watch as she gets in the car...and backs up right into my car again. She didn't look in her mirrors or use her brakes, nothing - just BAM.

I'm really not angry about the fact that she hit it. Even with so much space in the front, I know it's been hit before. I've watched people turn the wheel and pull forward, then turn the wheel and s-l-o-w-l-y back up, using their brakes, and sometimes they tap it, but she just got in and went straight back, took all of one second. What I am fuming over is that her response was "It's already damaged, honey."

Just because it's already damaged, it's okay to damage it some more? This seems like such a complete disregard/lack of respect for other people and their property. Please tell me I'm not the only person who has noticed that society in general has become so discourteous...

DH and I live in a condo complex. Our kitchen overlooks the front three parking spaces, which are front-to-back rather than side-to-side. My car is parked in the rear spot, back tires against the curb, more than three feet between the front bumper and the space's front line.

Last night, DH gets home and as he's taking off his shoes, facing the door, he watches a woman (in her 50s or 60s, who lives on the other side of the complex) attempt to parallel park her car in front of mine - and hit it hard enough to shake it. She then runs into the building while we're putting our shoes back on to go outside and look at the car. As we return to our deck, she comes back out...we watch as she gets in the car...and backs up right into my car again. She didn't look in her mirrors or use her brakes, nothing - just BAM.

I'm really not angry about the fact that she hit it. Even with so much space in the front, I know it's been hit before. I've watched people turn the wheel and pull forward, then turn the wheel and s-l-o-w-l-y back up, using their brakes, and sometimes they tap it, but she just got in and went straight back, took all of one second. What I am fuming over is that her response was "It's already damaged, honey."

Just because it's already damaged, it's okay to damage it some more? This seems like such a complete disregard/lack of respect for other people and their property. Please tell me I'm not the only person who has noticed that society in general has become so discourteous...

I had a guy hit me once when I was in college. I drove an old VW rabbit ( remember those?) and he had a new Benz.
Said the same to me, well its already dented in some spots.

I still remember saying, and so that makes it ok for you to run into my car and dent it some more? Insurance info please!
I never followed up because it wasnt worth it, I just wanted to prove a point. Yep some people!

I had my new car less than a month last year. I went down to the parking garage at the end of the day and my front bumper was hit and hanging off on one side. At the same time, 2 guys were walking towards it. They worked for the garage and were going to put a note on it. They said someone came into the garage office to report that they got the description and license # of the person who hit me. They said he got out of his truck, looked at it and then got back in and drove away. The witness followed him to get the information.

I called it into my insurance and they were able to track the person down. Luckily he admitted it. The adjustor said why did you just drive away? He said "stupidity I guess". I never did find out who the witness was to thank him.

Please tell me I'm not the only person who has noticed that society in general has become so discourteous...

I totally agree.

I live in a rural area, but in a neighborhood where the houses are 100 to 150 ft. apart. 4 weeks ago the guy in the first house on the road set off a lot of fire crackers, starting at about 8:30 pm. He took his time and for 30 minutes I thought I was listening to gunfire. As a women living alone, I was nervous. It took me that time to realize that it was fireworks. (This is not an area where you call 911 every time you hear gun shots.) He finally stopped before 10.

Last week on Thursday, the first week of school, he did it again. It was 8:45 to 9:15 on a school night! I could believe it. In the 8 houses on this road there are 7 kids under 10. At least this time the explosions were closer together and it was clear early on that it was not gunfire.

Speaking of disregard for others, a former co-worker was infamous for this. We work at a school and the parking lots fill up quickly. Usually we end up parking on the street in front of houses in the neighborhood. I try to be respectful, not parking too close to driveways, etc. Tuesdays are garbage pick-up days for the neighborhood. The residents put their cans and piles of yard debris at the curb the night before. The cans are picked up by a mechanical arm attached to the truck. If cars are parked too close, the cans may not be emptied. You have to hope the driver is nice enough to jump out and move the cans, but apparently they're not required to do that.

The piles of yard debris are picked up by a front-loader. If a car is too close, they definitely won't pick it up. There's a law saying that you can't set out your yard piles until 24 hours before your scheduled pick up. If your piles don't get picked up, you have to transfer everything to your backyard until the next week and put it out again. So one day I ran into the classroom a little later than usual because parking was tight. It was garbage day and I had to drive around and find a space that wouldn't impact anyone's stuff being picked up. The co-worker said, "I just parked on a pile of leaves." I said, "You realize those leaves won't be picked up and the homeowner will have to move them all and put them out again next week, don't you?" She said, "What do I care?" Nice. Very nice.

And on the other hand....

I once back-ended a car at a stop sign. He was pulling forward after he stopped and I followed him
(so I could see if traffic was clear for me to go) and he suddenly stopped and I hit him.

We both got out and I said "Oh, I'm so sorry, look what I did to your bumper"!
To which he replied "Oh that? That was already there, you didn't do that".

I was stunned. Thankful, but stunned.

OP, I would have been very irritated too. That was just rude.

Not a car rudeness thing, but there was someone in our neighborhood HAMMERING at 6:15 this morning (it is SATURDAY.) It was loud and echoing throughout the neighborhood. We closed our window, but could still hear it!! I thought that was VERY disrespectful.

Years ago we stopped at the bank. I stayed in the car with my son who was about 3 I guess. This guy driving one of those ridiculous Hummer's starts to pull into the space next to us. He hits the side of my van and instead of stopping and backing up and trying again, he just keeps going and scrapes the whole side of my car. He got out and looked at the damage and started to get back into his car. he didn't realize I was in the car. A woman saw what he did and stopped her car behind his so that he couldn't leave and I jumped out and was like "dude? WTH?" He starts to tell me that he's a lawyer etc., it's no big deal, he'll give me $200. Just then dh came out of the bank and this moron started to give him the same nonsense until dh showed him his badge. He paid the entire repair bill without a complaint. Jerk.

And on the other hand....

I once back-ended a car at a stop sign. He was pulling forward after he stopped and I followed him
(so I could see if traffic was clear for me to go) and he suddenly stopped and I hit him.

We both got out and I said "Oh, I'm so sorry, look what I did to your bumper"!
To which he replied "Oh that? That was already there, you didn't do that".

I was stunned. Thankful, but stunned.

OP, I would have been very irritated too. That was just rude.

This happened to DH once. The young man was obviously upset. DH realizing he was a new(er) driver told him to go on his way but, to be very careful in his driving as he could injure someone or; a citation would impact his driving record and insurance.

Try to capture it on a cell phone camera or otherwise.
Make a formal complaint with the authorities.

I WOULD BE SCREAMING MADpirate:

When one of my twins was in K, we was taken by helicopter from one of local hospitals to a children's hospital in Philadelphia... we parked our car in the lot and went in to be with him....

A couple of days later, we went out to our car - and saw that it had been hit in the lot! The corner of the bumper had been smashed in, and no one left a note or spoke to security about it.

Sometimes people just suck...

I totally agree.

I live in a rural area, but in a neighborhood where the houses are 100 to 150 ft. apart. 4 weeks ago the guy in the first house on the road set off a lot of fire crackers, starting at about 8:30 pm. He took his time and for 30 minutes I thought I was listening to gunfire. As a women living alone, I was nervous. It took me that time to realize that it was fireworks. (This is not an area where you call 911 every time you hear gun shots.) He finally stopped before 10.

Last week on Thursday, the first week of school, he did it again. It was 8:45 to 9:15 on a school night! I could believe it. In the 8 houses on this road there are 7 kids under 10. At least this time the explosions were closer together and it was clear early on that it was not gunfire.

We had actual gunfire (fun, not criminal) pop off at 1:00 am the other night. Shortly after that, someone else started shooting :headache:

There have always been rude people in the world. They are clueless.
Years ago, I was sitting in my parked car in a parking garage at work. I was in the last space of a row. I always try to park in an end spot because there is one less chance to get a door ding since there isn't a parking space on one side.
It was very early so plenty of parking everywhere, including other end-of-row spots. A guy parks next to me. He opens his door and bumps my car on the passenger side. OK, I get it, sometimes that happens. He then proceeds to hit it twice more. I roll down my window and ask him to be careful because he is hitting my car door.
He starts yelling at me, telling me he has long legs and it's not his fault he has to open his door so wide! For the record, when I park in an end spot, I always park close to the end, giving the parking space next to me ample room, again, to minimize door dings.
I have had other run-ins with rude people, but years later, that experience in the parking garage still leaves me shaking my head. At the time, I was tempted to send him plastic door guards in interoffice mail, but ultimately refused to spend a cent on him.

I can't believe how she behaved. Well, really I can, but that is for another thread.

Did you call the cops to report the accident?

Rudeness and entitlement are the new norm.

The thing that really makes me sad is that I am seeing this in my own generation. It is my peers (45+ y/o) who have become so rude and entitled. In turn, they are raising kids who are just as rude and entitled as their parents. The thing is, I know for a fact that many of these people weren't raised this way. Our parents would never allow that type of behavior/attitude. So what happened to my peers? Why were they polite, thoughtful, courteous, caring individuals growing up and now they are part of the entitlement generation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter