Vent - PS4 at Disney?

tinaver

Earning My Ears
I hope it's okay to post a vent here.

We (Me, DH, DD , DS and my mom) are leaving on Saturday for our first Disney trip as a family. We have two rooms, the second is in my mom's name.

DH has already asked if the second room is for him. Um no, my mom is paying for it.

Just now he asked me if there's internet at the hotel so he can bring his PS4.

WTH?! Who goes to Disney to spend time in the room gaming? He can do that home. Why are we paying for him to go if that's how he plans to spend his time?

We (Me, DH, DD , DS and my mom) are leaving on Saturday for our first Disney trip as a family. We have two rooms, the second is in my mom's name.

DH has already asked if the second room is for him. Um no, my mom is paying for it.

WTH?! Who goes to Disney to spend time in the room gaming? He can do that home. Why are we paying for him to go if that's how he plans to spend his time?

Some of the rooms do not have the proper hook ups for video games and it is not easy to reach the back of the t.v. so I would go with that. Is he just joking or is his video game playing something that has been an issue before this trip?

Gaming is a nightly thing for him - so I don't think he's joking.

When we go to my parents for holidays and such, a gaming system accompanies him.

I can generally take it in stride, but at Disney just seems sad to me. If he's not with us, he is going to miss out on some great stuff at the parks.

Wait, we are talking about a GROWN MAN here right? My DH is a gamer too, but would never dream of bringing his ps4 with us when we travel. Sounds like he needs to start thinking about more than just himself. If it were me, I would have already put my foot down about this. It is unacceptable.

That was going to be my question. Did you mean your DS? He wants his own room and wants to bring PS4? That sounds like a 12 year old. Actually, wanting his own room is actually stranger than wanting to bring the PS4 now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Gaming is a nightly thing for him - so I don't think he's joking.

When we go to my parents for holidays and such, a gaming system accompanies him.

I can generally take it in stride, but at Disney just seems sad to me. If he's not with us, he is going to miss out on some great stuff at the parks.
j

I agree that it's sad. You spend a fortune and take the time to plan a great trip for everyone, but he just wants to sit and play. On the other hand, he's a grown man and can make choices for himself. Honestly, I would tell him to bring his PS4 and play all he wants. If he misses all the great stuff, that's his deal. Take Grandma and the kids to the parks and have a great time. If he does come with you and wants to leave early, show him where to catch the bus. Don't let him ruin your trip!

Yeah... that's weird. He'd rather play video games than be with you and the kids? My husband plays a couple of games on his phone, but I can not imagine him playing video games regularly- especially on vacation!

If he misses all the great stuff, that's his deal. Take Grandma and the kids to the parks and have a great time.

I have to say, I disagree with that. There is a problem if he rather have his own room and wants to bring his PS4. As is the case with these posts, you never know the people involved or the whole story. But just based on what was posted, I would never accept the behavior. I couldn't leave it at "oh well, you'll miss the fun." It would tell me there's something very wrong with our relationship, and/or his relationship with our kids if he has those requests.

The husband could just be a person who has issues with change/crowds or has different interests than the rest of the family, etc. He could be on the autism spectrum, have a social disability, or just not like Disney or theme parks! If he has always been this way, then the family knows what to expect from Dad. But if this is a new thing (like over the past few years) then I'd consider seeing a therapist to figure out what has changed.

My Dad rarely went anywhere besides work and grocery shopping. I don't think he ever went on a vacation with my Mom and me except to the summer cottage that he grew up going to. But that was just the way he was, although he had undiagnosed issues like depression and anxiety. We accepted how he was because it was his choice - he was shy around people until he really got to know them and crowds of people were too much for him. Oh, the way he shook and sweat when he walked me down the aisle!

We are a family of gamers. When we go to my inlaws I take a gaming console, but its mostly my daughter and her cousin that use it. I admit i do play it sometimes when I first wake up because I usually wake up well before anyone else, but I stop once the other grown ups wake up.

But lets temporarily remove the social and family aspects and look at it another way... I'd NEVER dream of taking a console on a trip requiring a flight. The way airport security and staff can treat luggage, there's no way I'd chance a console, not even as carry on luggage. Have you ever seen how people try to slam their own bags into the overhead compartments, without looking what's already in there?

If he wants something to do privately at Disney, I'd probably go more with a tablet/ipad/ipod and throw some movies on it instead.

But despite me being a gamer, I'd have to agree, taking a console to Disney seems.... odd.

Dh has always been a gamer as well, but the *only* vacation that bringing a gaming system along on has ever been OK is when we go to the beach with family for a week and rent a house. Bringing a gaming system to WDW or DLR would never ever fly. The amount of time he spends on his phone playing games while we're in line in the parks is bad enough. I would absolutely put my foot down on that.

I'm in video game design and I would never dream of bringing my PS4 on vacation. It's time to be with family. I only brought my laptop on Thanksgiving because I had to spend some free time doing work. But I haven't been playing games. Are you staying onsite with a package? Tell him there are arcades in each resort and you get free tokens with your package, and also see if he might want to go check out the games at DisneyQuest since you get 2 free passes to that too. That might tide him over until you get home. But if he really can't leave it behind, maybe he should stay home.

I agree with most of the post , except this. He shouldn't be allowed to put all of the parenting on his wife during a vacation because of his gaming addiction.
I agree with you 100%. But it sounds like that was his plan anyway, it's not exactly parenting to shut yourself off in your own room separate from your kids to play video games. He sounds like he has a serious addiction that needs to be addressed apart from how it may affect this trip.

I agree with you 100%. But it sounds like that was his plan anyway, it's not exactly parenting to shut yourself off in your own room separate from your kids to play video games. He sounds like he has a serious addiction that needs to be addressed apart from how it may affect this trip.
I agree, but she'd at least have him while in the parks. Though I guess I can see how it might be less frustrating to just not have to deal with it at all. I tjjnk, in that case, if he were staying home then I'd bring a friend or family member in his place.

Sounds to me like your DH has a serious addiction but I think what is weirder is why he would assume he would get a room to himself and everyone else in another. Do you all not sleep in the same room at home? I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess there are marital issues at home that are going unaddressed and this was just the icing on the cake.
I'm in the camp of no way would this fly for my family. But seeing as I'm a fairly independent person I would just be like forget it you can stay home and I'll take the kids myself. I wouldn't be begging him to put away his games so he could hang out with us...But then I can't imagine being married to a person like this because I'm guessing he does the same crap at home to you.

I think you guys are extrapolating things from the post that the OP did not mention. She said he is a nightly gamer at home and on vacations to family members. I'll be honest we bring a video game system with us to the families Christmas. It usually just a 3DS because I would never fly with one of my expensive next gen consoles but we do play at night after dinner almost every night. I don't have kids but I have many friends who do have kids and do the same thing. Play at home each night for an hour or two. To be honest it is no different than reading a book, being on the disboards, or facebook. It is all time away from your kids. Some people choose to do this after their kids go to bed or my one friend with a toddler does it with the baby right in front of him on the play mat. He only plays games he can pause so that if he sees or hears his son in distress he can stop the game and help out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter