• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vent...in laws!

cjnix29

DIS Veteran
Ok, I gave my Disney rewards card with only about $12 left on it to my sister in law to use when they were in Florida. I had sent it in the mail and they didn't get it until after they got back. So she GAVE IT TO HER FRIEND! Now, tell me if I am crazy, but that card is associated with my credit card. I felt comfortable with her having it, but now, it's just out there. Should I be worried?

I don't think its a problem its associated with your credit card - there is no number on there that would link you and it doesn't have your name on it. To do any "damage" the person would have to call in and know your security answers, credit card number etc BEFORE the issue of knowing the Disney rewards number would even come up.

I only happen to know this because my daughter was having trouble activating her card so we called one day a couple of weeks ago and honestly the number on the card was the last thing we got to.

The real issue would be that is the card you need to put more money on it this year.

Liz

I don't think its a problem its associated with your credit card - there is no number on there that would link you and it doesn't have your name on it. To do any "damage" the person would have to call in and know your security answers, credit card number etc BEFORE the issue of knowing the Disney rewards number would even come up.

I only happen to know this because my daughter was having trouble activating her card so we called one day a couple of weeks ago and honestly the number on the card was the last thing we got to.

The real issue would be that is the card you need to put more money on it this year.

Liz

Can't she just request another card from Chase? I thought you had the option of adding points to an existing one or getting a new one...

I would have been a little upset that she didn't give it back to you if she couldn't use it...I know it's only $12, but I think the courteous thing to do would have been to ask you if you wanted it back since she couldn't use it or if you minded her giving it to someone else.

Not sure about the security of it, though, but I would think it is probably okay. Did you call Chase?

in my opinion, once you gave her the card, she could do with it what she wanted. It doesn't link any information from your credit card so no harm, no foul.

Your credit card information is not linked to your rewards. I wouldn't worry about it. You did give her the card so she has the right to give it away, unless you clearly stated that you wanted the card back if she didn't use it

The problem is that this is not just a throwaway gift card. If she transfers more rewards from her credit card, this is the card they will go to.

I do not know what the process is to get that changed.

Good to know I dont' need to worry about the CC info. She gave it to a police officer, so I should have been safe anyway. I'm probably just a little more annoyed than I should be because of old history between the two of us! We were supposed to go on vacation with them next summer, but they bailed on us to go with someone else...the person she gave this card too. They asked if we wanted to go with them. Would you go on vacation with a complete stranger? I know....the catty claws are showing. I try so hard to not let them bother me, but sometimes it just doesn't work!

When we were in Disney last time, we had a horrible time trying to add rewards to our reward card. I only loaded the minimum when I ordered the card, knowing that we could add later. The Visa card is only in DH name. I called to add points then put him on the line. We didn't have the Visa card with us so we didn't know the numbers. They wouldn't let us add any points. We went through a whole bunch of stuff to try and get the account number. It was actually comical. First I tried to go online to get the number, but forgot his logon. Then we had our friend who watches our dog go to our house and get the information. Then he called back and added the points. I think they wanted the account number on the original phone call because I called and the card is not in my name. When he called he gave them some basic information and was able to add the points.

Anyway, I don't think it is that easy for someone other than the reward card holder to add points.

I think it was nice of you to share with her but you only sent it to her, not the strangers. I'd like to think that if I made such a nice gesture (even if it was only $12) that if they couldn't use it, they'd return it or at least ask you about what to do with it. The important thing is - lesson learned - watch what you do in the future around her!

You can get a second card without paying a fee, I believe. So, I don't think the OP will have a problem if she wants to get more Rewards on a card for herself later this year. She just orders a new card....and doesn't add to the old (since she no longer owns it).

Sorry that happened. If it had been me, I'd have asked you if you wanted it back when I didn't use it. Weird that she'd give it to a friend, I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter