vent: Hall of Presidents incites my gay rage

lillielil

But why is all the rum gone?
It can't be just me, right? In September I finally experienced the Hall of Presidents for the first time. I was excited about it (because I get excited about things like that - I could happily watch "1776" every day of the week), and we thought it would be funny to sneak a kiss or two during Bush's speech.

Instead, I just got angry. We actually laughed out loud at one part because it was so ridiculous...

Bush's speech:

"My Fellow Americans,

[Kissing commences]

when we look back on the history of this country, we see a record of almost unbelievable energy, sacrifice, hard work - of impossible dreams that our ancestors dreamed and made real. We see injustice, too, ...

[Kissing stopps]

...that weighs on our hearts even today. But for every injustice there has always been a voice crying out to right it. And America has always listened to those voices.

[Puzzled looks]

"We're listening today. And perhaps it falls to us, to this first generation of 21st century Americans to say, once and for all, that no child, no race, no creed, no ethnic community will ever again be left out of the American dream. Through education, through the opportunity to work and to enjoy the fruits of that work, we can open every closed door. We expand the horizons of every American.

"Again and again we return to the same simple principles - freedom, equality; the freedom to create, to prosper, to dream; Equality before the law,...

[involuntary snorts of laughter]

... in the workplace, and the chance for a better life. And each time in the process America grows stronger. The beacon of democracy grows brighter. The world looks with new astonishment at what free people can do. We the people are just getting started."

And Lincoln's didn't do much to help:

"My fellow countrymen, I have often inquired of myself, what great principle or idea it was that kept this confederacy so long together. It was that all should have an equal chance, that all are created equal. This is the sentiment embodied in the Declaration of Independence. Most governments have been based on the denial of rights.

[groans]

Ours began by affirming our rights. Let us turn this government into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it. If we cannot give freedom to every creature, let us do nothing that will impose upon another creature. True democracy makes no inquiry about the color of the skin, or place of birth, or any other circumstance or condition. We propose to give all a chance. We expect the weak to grow stronger, the ignorant wiser, and all better and happier together. Let it be as nearly reached as we can. For the struggle of today is not altogether for today. It is for the vast future also. So may our children, and our children's children for a thousand generations rejoice under those glorious institutions bequeathed us by Washington and continue to enjoy the benefits conferred upon us by a united country."

I think I'll skip it next time. I wish they'd scrap it and just have a random theater with Ben Franklin quoting himself...

I'll skip the Hall of Presidents until the new Presidential figure is installed. But not just because Bush give a speech. Admittedly, it is the best, and most fluid, speech the man has ever delivered. But because of the reactions of the audiences early in Bush's term.

When they introduced Clinton, there was a chorus of "Boooooo" and when they introduced W, "Yayayayay" and thunderous applause. It really ruined what would should, IMO, be a dignified and respectful show, regardless of who is in the White House. Unfortunately, the American people seem to have lost the concept of appropriate, respectful public behavior.

I'll skip the Hall of Presidents until the new Presidential figure is installed. But not just because Bush give a speech. Admittedly, it is the best, and most fluid, speech the man has ever delivered. But because of the reactions of the audiences early in Bush's term.

When they introduced Clinton, there was a chorus of "Boooooo" and when they introduced W, "Yayayayay" and thunderous applause. It really ruined what would should, IMO, be a dignified and respectful show, regardless of who is in the White House. Unfortunately, the American people seem to have lost the concept of appropriate, respectful public behavior.

It's pretty much the opposite these days when you visit it. A lot of groaning and laughter during Bush's speech, since he's ended up doing pretty much the opposite of everything in that speech. I do agree though that is by far Bush's best speech ever.

I just tune Busch out and start watching all the little mannerisms the real presidents have. I alwas thought it was pretty cool to see one nod to another, another one fidget a bit, do little things that people do in real life. I only wish that a clever engineer would change them a bit and have them chuckle and shrug when the Idiot speaks.

Well that is just about as bad as when I went to ellens universe of energy this is years ago mind you , and had to listen to the whispers and sometimes not so quite boo's and every known slur to Gays and Lesbians I know of, it was just awful, havent been back since actually

Well that is just about as bad as when I went to ellens universe of energy this is years ago mind you , and had to listen to the whispers and sometimes not so quite boo's and every known slur to Gays and Lesbians I know of, it was just awful, havent been back since actually

That's so sad... it's really quite pathetic, actually. Some people need to get a life.

My experiences lately.....

The Ellen ride is now a non-issue! She is back on top of her game!

The HOP, people mostly chuckle at Bush now, the booing has stopped.

It's a shame that any such behavior ever happened, on either end of the aisle. I'm with Rick, when Bush speaks I just look around at the others.

Heck, if your gonna boo at anything, how about that dated movie before they actually present the presidents?

Hey, has anyone seen the new AA? The changed the ending with a tribute to 9-11.

I loved the movie 1776!!!

I totally agree with you I saw it a few years back on a family vacation and my conservative republican father shot me a very dirty look as I tried to stiffle giggle. What a joke. The first president to actually try to change the constitution to take rights permanently away from millions of Americans.

I'll go back to the hall of presidents when there is a women there. :yay:

I saw the new AA ending when we were there on our last trip. I was bawling my eyes out. It is beautiful, sad and so touching.

Why do we need an agenda when we visit Disney World? I mean, "real life" consumes us all. The precious time we spend in WDW should be enjoyment. I assume that you were sneaking a kiss during Bush's speech because of the "irony" of the situation - so obviously you have an agenda. Why not just enjoy the show apprciate the creativity and engineering mastery of the animatronics? Why be so bitter? It's a show!!!

Why do we need an agenda when we visit Disney World? I mean, "real life" consumes us all. The precious time we spend in WDW should be enjoyment. I assume that you were sneaking a kiss during Bush's speech because of the "irony" of the situation - so obviously you have an agenda. Why not just enjoy the show apprciate the creativity and engineering mastery of the animatronics? Why be so bitter? It's a show!!!

Right... kissing my wife on our honeymoon is totally part of the scary gay agenda. We weren't sitting on in the back row of a dark attraction to make any sort of statement, thanks.

And yes, I realize it's a show. That doesn't mean it didn't offend me, though. Think about what it would be like in 1966... how it would be if the irony were regarding interracial marriage - could you imagine a mixed-race couple hearing about how wonderful it is that all Americans have these awesome rights, while those very rights are denied to them? It feels pretty crummy.

The Gay agenda is wanting to be treated just like every other american is. Not anything special , just like any other couple.

What agenda is it you were refering to?

Being discriminated against hurts, deeply, good reason to be bitter I would say, fortunatly most of us just try to make lemonade out of lemons that are thrown at us, including the OP.

If you find us offensive, why come here at all?

Smooch = Agenda -- I don't think so. :confused: The OP's point about the Hall of President's speech is spot on in my opinion.

The only agenda I'm aware of is the "To Do" list I right every Friday evening before I leave the office to prepare for the following work week.

Which one are you referring to?

Oh, and real life does consume us all, hence the anger many of us feel when we see the President, even as a big robot in a theme park, blather words of insincerity.

Wait... big robot... theme park... oh now I really CAN pay more attention when he speaks so I can cheer at the irony.:rolleyes:

Ok everyone, please slow down. I apologize for using the word agenda - I'm here at work trying to write in between my bosses visits - so I picked the wrong word in haste- again - I apologize. What I am trying to say is that the HOP is a show. I could pick out any number of things in any show and find it offensive - however, when I am in WDW, I try to not get caught up what bothers me during "real life". If you don't like George Bush - that's fine - but he is President - and as such HAS to be part of the Hall of Presidents - so I don't understand the rage.

Again, sorry if I used the wrong words.

Ok everyone, please slow down. I apologize for using the word agenda - I'm here at work trying to write in between my bosses visits - so I picked the wrong word in haste- again - I apologize. What I am trying to say is that the HOP is a show. I could pick out any number of things in any show and find it offensive - however, when I am in WDW, I try to not get caught up what bothers me during "real life". If you don't like George Bush - that's fine - but he is President - and as such HAS to be part of the Hall of Presidents - so I don't understand the rage.

Again, sorry if I used the wrong words.

I'm not objecting to his presence. I object to his words, which don't exactly ring true to me.

If you didn't mean agenda, what did you mean?

"and we thought it would be funny to sneak a kiss or two during Bush's speech.
Instead, I just got angry."

Instead of agenda, I should have said you went in there with the idea of making a statement. I think it's wonderful you want to kiss your wife...but you made a point of doing it while Bush was speaking...obviously because you wanted to basically say to him something else. And that's fine. And then you became angry. You knew he was there, and you know his philosophy. All I was trying to say is let's all just chill out and relax. If we can't do that in WDW, then we are not really enjoying life the way we should.

Trust me, I'm not attacking you even though you feel I am.

WDW is a place of fantasy and make believe. We do go there to escape the pressures of the real world. But we can never "escape" being lesbian or gay.

Insincerety or hypocracy can immediately interrupt even the sweetest of times at the fairytale land of WDW.

Georgie is not very adept with words, to be sure. However, listening to him expound on something that does not exist for us in the lesbian and gay world does incite rage. Disgust comes to mind too.

Agenda. Ayuh. We have one. Equality in the eyes of the constitution. Some agenda, huh?

WDW is a place of fantasy and make believe. We do go there to escape the pressures of the real world. But we can never "escape" being lesbian or gay.

Insincerety or hypocracy can immediately interrupt even the sweetest of times at the fairytale land of WDW.

Georgie is not very adept with words, to be sure. However, listening to him expound on something that does not exist for us in the lesbian and gay world does incite rage. Disgust comes to mind too.

Agenda. Ayuh. We have one. Equality in the eyes of the constitution. Some agenda, huh?

Very well stated. Our agenda is simply to have the same rights as every other tax paying adult in this United States. Until that day comes, said agenda will be paramount in most of our minds and actions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter