VENT - about my sister and Pool Hopping

Wow... I didn't even know I could do this!
I've always wondered what the pool at the Poly is like. I'm going to be at AKL...if I have a free day, is it worth checking out? Or is the pool at Jambo better anyway?

The pool at the Poly is always crowded - nice but crowded. The pool at Jambo is wonderful and if you're traveling with kids go to the one at Kidani. Has a water park area - beautiful pool - zero entry depth.

Was at AKV in August - watched the movie they were showing that night from inside the pool - Heaven in August.

I personally prefer the quiet pool at VWL to the main pool.

To the OP - I travel with my sister quite often - we are both in our fifties.
When we were younger stupid arguments about stupid things - she gets up at the crack of dawn and wants to get moving - me I like to lounge around and take my time I'm on vacation, very difficult to have such varying styles off property with only 1 car - can't meet up easily later.

Now that I own DVC we stay on property and she gets up and going in the morning does what she wants and meets me either at the hotel or in a park later in the day. I don't want to spend every waking moment in the parks - I like to enjoy the resorts.

Good luck, have a great vacation - and I hope you can work things out with your sister - not for this vacation but going forward.

I personally don't see the excitement in pool hopping.

The only time we've done it was when my sister decided at the last minute to come on the trip with us. Because it was so late in the game, I could not get her a reservation at the same resort we were staying. But we wanted to spend one day swimming.

Well Disney is never going to ruin someone else's vacation unless they're being disruptive, even if they don't belong there. Or unless they absolutely have to. They trust that most people will follow the rules. The ones that don't usually get away with it, again unless disruptive.

We found this out on the cruise.

Only once have I seen the recreation staff come around and check room cards (other than at SAB) it was at the Poly and they most certainly did ask people to leave.

I also once witnessed a woman go absolutely insane when denied entry to the pool at BC/YC and security was called.

Why not learn what the rules are, then work within them? I was unsure of how transfers worked, asked, now I know and will work with it accordingly. I don't understand stressing yourself out doing otherwise. Maybe it's because I'm old and don't have the energy anymore to buck a system.:goodvibes

What do you do when you know someone is pool hopping, notify a lifeguard, and then nothing happens? We have been at the pools in the past when we have overheard families talking about going back to their resort soon (a different one than the one they are currently swimming at). We have notified lifeguards who just kind of shrug or act like they are going to take care of it - and nothing. The family stays put. It can be very frustrating.
I truly wish that Disney enforced this rule. But it seems to be too hard for them. Maybe it's time they fenced in the more 'visited' pools. I know that the one time we stayed at the Polynesian, it was August, and it was hot/humid. We really wanted to spend time at the pool. But almost every time we went, it was way too crowded, so we stuck to the quiet pool outside our longhouse.
There was the one time though, that as my dh, my dd and I walked around, looking for a spot to sit that would allow us to keep an eye on our dd (then 9), we could find nothing. I did overhear a large family (wasn't hard to do since they were so boistrous) commenting that they might think about paying to actually stay here the next time...the pool was way nicer than the Hampton Inn's pool where they were staying. Really aggravated me since they had taken up about 8 lounge chairs and 3 tables with all their stuff. A bit later, a lifeguard did come around, asking to see room keys. That dad stood his ground and said that they didn't have them with them, they were in the room. Well, how are you going to get back into your room sir? the lifeguard asked. Dad had no answer. The lifeguard told them that if they couldn't produce a room key, for the Polynesian, they would have to pack up and leave. Man, that family was peeved.

I've been at BW's Luna Park pool area when we have been asked to show room keys. I have no problem showing it. I wish they would do a sweep every hour or so on the weekends!!

Maybe the RFID Magic Bands will allow locked gates at all pools. Granted people will still sneak in but it might cut down on some of the visitors.

:earsboy: Bill

I personally don't see the excitement in pool hopping. We can barely get everything together and find the time to spend quality time in our resort pool, much less haul all of our stuff to another pool.

When we first joined it was a big deal to us. We loved staying at the Polynesian and DS loved the Volcano Pool. It made me sad to think that we would never be able to use the Volcano Pool at the Polynesian again if we were DVC members. But, DVC had an answer for this-- pool hopping. :thumbsup2 I guess it was a way to overcome an objection to owning DVC. :confused3

We have been members for 11 years and we have not pool hopped once. :rotfl2: We first joined at BCV and SAB was a pretty good pool. Now that DS is an adult, we just don't hang out at the pool like when he was younger. So, it isn't that big of a deal anymore.

I have been asked at the BWV main pool for my KTTW card and ID, no problem since I was staying there. I suspect there were some who were not guests, however.

Personally, I do not put pool hopping as a priority. We typically stay at a particular resort if we want to try the pool that much.

seemed like some neighborhood kids (pre or young teens) were enjoying the pool. The lifeguard seemed to know they were not guests and said to me-"see those kids over there? I'm going to let them take one more ride down the slide then they are gone" She then rounded them up as they completed their final slide ride and showed them the gate. They were good kids and left without a fuss...I think she handled it perfectly. They got in a little fun in the pool and she did her job.

It sounds like your sister is acting out as a result of jealousy.

I wouldn't put them back on your reservation but let them know that they could make their own reservation in their own name if they want to come. They probable won't do that but that would give you an amicable out. If they do come you will have some independence.

Everyone needs space especially in strained relationships.

This is a blessing. You figured out far in advance that this could have been a drama filled vacation. Tell your sister you lover her, but are doing your own thing for vacations.

Checking first with the front desk can backfire!
We did that when trying to hop to the BWV pool (we were staying on points at OKW). The mgr on duty had never heard of pool hopping for DVC! She was not very interested in learning about it either. I think we were the first ones to follow the rule about checking at the desk first. She told us we could not use the pool, so we had to get into a long discussion, phone calls, etc. etc..... just what ya wanna spend your vacation doing :rolleyes:
My advice is to use your good sense. If the pool is crammed with guests- maybe it is not the day to pool-hop even if you have a right to do so. :littleangel:

SpicyCat,

I won't lose my DVC for anyone, family member or not.
If she wants to do something without me being around ,how would I lose my membership??.
I told her it's not allowed, if she goes ahead with her HD and does it, she is told to leave. I should not lose my membership because of her actions.

And were all at the same hotel. I have all ready told her to make her own plans ,because We already have thing plan. She was fine with this, but the pool hopping set her off.

tigger2ntinkerbell

disney would never take away your DVC - unless you did something. So don't even worry about it.

say your sister would blame you if she got kicked out of her planned pool hopping.

sorry did not make myself clear.

Personally I just wish they would do away with it completely.

Nothing fair about it.

Not fair to DVC members staying at BWV that can't hop to BVC but they can.

Or VWL members who can't hop to BLT, but they can.

It should be open at all pools or not at all, and I definitely do not think it is fair to the paying resort guest.

We did that when trying to hop to the BWV pool (we were staying on points at OKW). The mgr on duty had never heard of pool hopping for DVC! She was not very interested in learning about it either. I think we were the first ones to follow the rule about checking at the desk first. She told us we could not use the pool, so we had to get into a long discussion, phone calls, etc. etc..... just what ya wanna spend your vacation doing :rolleyes:

Seems someone could have asked for a Portable Perks and opened it to the pool hopping page for her.

ssawka said:
Good luck! We invited my parents to stay at BLT a couple years ago. They did come with us, but after that experience I will not be inviting any more family members. I don't know what it is about family, but as soon as you tell them that you have DVC and invite them on a trip with you, they begin to have a feeling of entitlement.

Isn't that the truth!!!

I took family with us a few times and each time it ruined my vacation. The last time was a horror show!! So much so, my DH and I have vowed to never do it again!!!

I think you handled everything better than most people would handle it because your sister was aggravating the issue (A NON-ISSUE in most rational minds). When you said that pool-hopping is permitted according to DVC guidelines based on if you are staying on DVC points and during such and such dates, she acted like it was you telling her that she can't do it just because you felt like bursting her bubble. You aren't the one who made the rules. This lack of comprehension and childish reaction shows a complete lack of maturity and logic. My brother often times will fly off the handle in a rage, and it's usually just because he doesn't listen or doesn't understand.

I for one, would be very happy to not have to deal with -- All That Mess -- on vacation. Your DH sounds like a great guy for sticking up for you and drawing a line there for the future. You don't want to be around that negativity.

I hate that people sneak into the pools, it's incredible trashy and dishonest. I cringed when I read about the person whose aunt stays off-site and then goes to WL to swim. Ugh. It's funny because Disney would prosecute theft in any other capacity, if you took something from a shop they would arrest you. But if you "steal" pool use nothing happens???? That just doesn't make sense. I think they don't enforce it because it would disturb people who legitimately have the right to there. Best possibly way to eliminate it, would be to add gates or security like at Yacht Club/Beach Club pool.

To say the least, I was upset yesterday after talking to her, but my hubby reminded me that she has always takes things the wrong way. And said we are still going to have a great time.

With that said, my brother In-Law just called and talk to my DH:-)listen:). When I asked him what that was all about, he said that we will never go on any more vacation with us, end of subject, And that my sister has been put on notice.

My brother in-law apologized again about her out burst. My DH told him thank you, but your still not going with us.
Sometimes I could just kiss :love:that man.

So to all of you that helped me with this emotionally drama, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart, you guys "ROCK":grouphug:

tigger2ntinkerbell

Kudos to your hubby. I've had family "join" us several times when they find out we're going to Disney. I've found that it can be a headache. Just trying to decide the park to go to each day, hotel to stay, where we'll make dining reservations, what time to go to the parks, are we still following the plan, did they wake up, can we go to breakfast now or are we still waiting... it's added stress to what was supposed to be a fun relaxing vacation with your immediate family.

I'm with the "if you want to go, make your own plans" crowd. That way everyone has their own dining reservation, their own schedule, their own hotel room (hopefully not next to yours), their own plans, and we can just meet @ parks or for a meal here and there when we're all in same park so the kids can play/hang, even as we follow our own plans during the day. The few days we've managed this have been the best for us. We get to do more, and enjoy more time with our girls. :)

My advice is to use your good sense. If the pool is crammed with guests- maybe it is not the day to pool-hop even if you have a right to do so. :littleangel:
That's the rule in place so honest people are stuck with it. Just show them the portable perks info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter