• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegetarians, HELP review my plan!

ptefabulous

Earning My Ears
Hey all,

So I'm surprisingly DB for his Birthday with a trip to Disneyworld! :wizard:I bought the DDP for convenience and not having to worry about prices while there, but I'm trying to make reservations on my own now which is hard especially since DB is vegetarian. :surfweb: I prefer to eat vegetarian but will eat meat and seafood, and am just trying to figure out the best value meals. This is what I have so far:

May 6-14:
Monday May 6: Arrive late, so CS in park
Tuesday May 7: Akershus dinner
Wednesday May 8: Jiko Dinner (OOP)
Thursday May 9: Crystal Palace dinner
Friday May 10: Boma dinner
Saturday May 11: Teppan Edo dinner
Sunday May 12: Citricos dinner (OOP?)
Monday May 13: Tusker house lunch
Tuesday May 14: Boma breakfast (possibly OOP depending on dining credits)

Crystal Palace and Akershus would probably be first on my list to be switched, and I'm thinking about switching Jiko to Boma.

Other restaurants I'd like to try:

Coral Reef
San Angel Inn
Sanaa (maybe)
Hollywood derby (maybe)

What do you guys think? :confused3
Thanks for your help!!

We has two vegetarians in our group as well, but occasionally eat seafood. We will probably eat seafood while at WDW just so there are more options.
If you are seafood eaters than you will probably have no problem as there is always a seafood and a vegetarian option at every TS restaurant.
You should check out allears.net since they have the menus for every restaurant on property and are pretty up to date. That might help with your decision.
Every restaurant you list will get some different opinions, but here are mine....

Tuesday May 7: Akershus dinner - Akershus is nice, more for experience than food. If you are not big into princesses than you should try one of the other restaurants in Epcot since there are so many good choices.

Wednesday May 8: Jiko Dinner (OOP) - We have never been to Jiko and are trying it on next trip.

Thursday May 9: Crystal Palace dinner - Crystal Palace is a must do for us, but because of Pooh. The food is good, but not great.

Friday May 10: Boma dinner - We love Boma. We stay at AKL though. I would probably not go out of my way to eat there since we have been a few times. The AKL is a beautiful resort. If you go there for dinner make sure to tour the grounds a little. If you are staying at AKL than it is a must do.

Saturday May 11: Teppan Edo dinner - we all love Teppan. Food is good and chefs make it a nice experience.

Sunday May 12: Citricos dinner (OOP?) - We have never been

Monday May 13: Tusker house lunch - We have never tried lunch, but breakfast is good and fun.

Tuesday May 14: Boma breakfast (possibly OOP depending on dining credits) - good choice if you are staying at resort. I do not think it is worth the price. If you are paying OOP than I would skip. If you are trying to use up credits than go for it.

Crystal Palace and Akershus would probably be first on my list to be switched, and I'm thinking about switching Jiko to Boma.

Other restaurants I'd like to try:

Coral Reef - We have been 3 times and all 3 were bad experience, but other people love it.

San Angel Inn - We really like San Angel. It is a nice experience. I would do San Angel over Akershus unless you want the characters.

Sanaa (maybe) - We like Sanaa and if money is coming into play Sanaa will not be disappointing if you want to replace Jiko with it.

Hollywood derby (maybe) - We are trying this next trip.

Your choices sound good to me! Personally, I wouldn't go to Coral Reef as a vegetarian. They do have a nice veggie dish, but the whole seafood theme is a little strong for my own taste. Your brother may not feel the same as I do, though. Hacienda de San Angel has more veggie options than San Angel Inn, but I'm sure both places are willing to customize.

Thanks guys! I think I will switch Akershus for San angel inn then. I'd like to do the boast ride after dinner at San angel.

One more question,Jiko, Sanaa, or Boma?
This would be for DBf's (boyfriend, just clarifying! It's been a while since I posted on forums) birthday dinner. We are staying at AKL and will be spending that day at Kennedy space station. So we will prob stay at the hotel that evening. Dbf is completely vegetarian, and prefers relaxed restaurants, he doesn't like anything too fancy.

Which one out of those 3 is the best dinner?

You are going during Flower & Garden at Epcot, which this year introduced food booths, including a decent number of vegetarian options. You may want to plan on doing that for lunch or dinner on an Epcot day. Many of the F&G dishes can be bought using one DDP snack credit. I think EasyWDW has pictures of all the menu boards: http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorize...n-festival-2013-–-garden-marketplaces-part-3/

I'm a vegetarian and I'm doing Crystal Palace for breakfast, not lunch or dinner - non-breakfast buffets are usually complete wastes for me. The exception may be Tusker House, which has a better vegetarian selection.

I've been twice to WDW as a vegetarian, and eaten at a LOT of TS places. They all have at least one vegetarian option, most have several. Also, be sure to ask when you are seated if they have a separate vegetarian menu - a few restaurants we ate at had several other choices that weren't even on the main menu at all, once the server figured out that I wanted something vegetarian they would go get it for me.

If for some reason you still can't find something on the menu, we always found the restaurants to be very accommodating. When we went with my niece (a vegan) the chef would often come out and ask her what things she liked, then make up a special dish for her. I know this happened at Coral Reef and Ohana, can't remember for sure where else.

I second the coral reef, I would not go there, I find it very limited. I look for resturaunts that have a mixture of items and then ask for a specific dish to be put together for me and coral reef just does not have options. I like the morracan restaeraunt, I ask for couscous and then find other things to be added, like feta cheese to get some protein, low fat of course, and if he is not vegan. Or with fresh tomatoes on top, instead of chicken. Or in a restaeraunt that has quinoa, I do the same, even if the quinoa is on a dish with swordfish, I know the chef could make it because he has it, so I will ask to speak to the chef and say I want quinoa with broccoli, tomatoes, feta cheese and whatever and I have neve had a problem with getting a chef to make it, and they never charge me extra for making it, just about the $15 a vege plate will go for, sometimes less. Don't be afraid to look up restaeraunt s that have his favorite things, even if in a specific dish, then you know they have that ingredients at the restaeraunt and ask them to make it a special way, the chefs are wonderful at accomodating me. Coral reff is my least favorite, and usually the hardest to be accommodated with, but maybe it is my taste, all I get there is a salad and I leave hungry.

Thanks guys! I think I will switch Akershus for San angel inn then. I'd like to do the boast ride after dinner at San angel.

One more question,Jiko, Sanaa, or Boma?
This would be for DBf's (boyfriend, just clarifying! It's been a while since I posted on forums) birthday dinner. We are staying at AKL and will be spending that day at Kennedy space station. So we will prob stay at the hotel that evening. Dbf is completely vegetarian, and prefers relaxed restaurants, he doesn't like anything too fancy.

Which one out of those 3 is the best dinner?

Although I really love the Boma buffet, I wouldn't exactly consider it relaxing. I haven't been to Jiko, although I hear wonderful things and imagine it would be fabulous for a special dinner. I really like Sanaa - it has plenty of delicious veggie options and the decor is beautiful!

I really disliked being in Coral Reef as a vegetarian, and DH and DS felt the same. And the veggie option was really bad to my palate.

Sanaa would be my choice if he likes Indian-style food.

Tusker House is an AMAZING option for a vegetarian. SO good.

The Brown Derby's coconut tofu noodle bowl is absolutely delicious, and much more filling than you would think. I definitely recommend it, and there will be plenty for you as well. It seems like it's fancy, but it is very relaxed and easy to be comfortable there while dining.

I like your choices. We have chosen for our upcoming trip-

Rose and Crown
Crystal Palace (breakfast)
Sci-Fi (this is more for our son)
Be Our Guest
Boma (breakfast)
Saana
The Plaza
The Wave
Coral Reef
Tusker House
Les Chefs de France

If our son wasn't with us we would do a Jiko dinner. I hope the Coral Reef is okay based on what other's have posted. This is an anniversary trip and we ate there on our honeymoon which is why I wanted to go back...but then again that was a long time ago. I guess it is a weird concept to have people eating fish while enjoying watching fish (well for those of us who care about fish I guess!).

I haven't eaten at the places on your list, but a piece of unsolicited advice: when you are at the MK, go to Columbia Harbor House for your counter service. Lighthouse Sandwich is my favorite veggie meal on property (I love sandwiches in general.) Broccoli slaw, hummus, tomatoes on multigrain bread. Yum!

I believe Sanaa has a separate vegetarian menu, not sure if that still exists or not. I keep getting outvoted on going out there to try it. :/

I've been to all 3 a number of times, and for the special dinner, based on BF's preferences, I'd rank:
1. Sanaa- lots of vegetarian fare but some can be kind of spicy Indian flavors. Also a more laid back atmosphere and better value than Jiko, which is heavenly but a signature and more pricey at 2TS for DDP.
2. Jiko - vegetarian dishes there have been uniformly delicious and creative, a nice change from the mucky pile of steamed vegetables and/or lame pasta dishes some restaurants throw out as vegetarian. But, it's expensive and a bit more "fancy" feeling. I love it there, don't get me wrong, but these are the few drawbacks. Everyone should try it once- a very special place- but it sounds like not this time.
3. Boma- lovely vegetarian selections but usually kind of a zoo - loud, boisterous, crowded. More families than the other two - caters more with the kids' buffet etc. Some days that's just right but it sounds like not perfect for your trip. Great DDP value, though.

Good luck- they are all wonderful in their own ways!

The Brown Derby's coconut tofu noodle bowl is absolutely delicious, and much more filling than you would think. I definitely recommend it, and there will be plenty for you as well. It seems like it's fancy, but it is very relaxed and easy to be comfortable there while dining.

The noodle bowl is my all time favorite meal in ALL of WDW! It is amazing!! I highly recommend going to HBD for it!!

I haven't eaten at the places on your list, but a piece of unsolicited advice: when you are at the MK, go to Columbia Harbor House for your counter service. Lighthouse Sandwich is my favorite veggie meal on property (I love sandwiches in general.) Broccoli slaw, hummus, tomatoes on multigrain bread. Yum!

Good suggestion!

They also have a really good vegetarian chili. Not the best soup/sandwich combo in the world, but I can never choose between them, so I just eat lunch really slowly, LOL.

The noodle bowl is my all time favorite meal in ALL of WDW! It is amazing!! I highly recommend going to HBD for it!!

:) Have you seen this recipe?

I've been to WDW over 18 years as a vegetarian & at the Table service you can always get something made even if not on the menu. At buffets ask a chef to tell you what's safe & they always are willing to make a special dish just for you too.

Counter service usually has 1 veg option, but not all do or if they do it may just be a lame salad or fruit like Flame Tree, which lacks protein.

Tusker House was awesome - tons of vegetarian options & really good.

I actually liked Coral Reef - the veg dish I got was a veggie strudel & good. The fish in the aquarium didn't bother me considering I visit the whole Living Seas pavilion as well, so if the aquarium bothers you than the whole Seas pavilion would or even the Land boat ride has fish in it.

San Angel was okay, but way tooooooooo many black beans.

Crystal Palace always has good stuff too.

I've been a vegetarian for 12 years and have been to WDW many, many times going to almost every restaurant. I would skip Coral Reef and Askerhuis. Both have limited vegetarian options or have ones that aren't that good. Both Moroccan Restaurants are really good as is San Angel. Actually I like most of the food in Epcot, save for these two!
Instead of Jiko, I would go to Sana'a. In all honesty, it's some of the best food I have ever had. The food is soooo amazing, especially for the value. I just went last weekend for Easter. We had the bread service, the salad sampler, and I had the vindaloo vegetables and green chickpea curry. So good!

You guys are all awesome! Thanks for the great advise. We will definitely check out the F&G fest. I think I will change a few resies just so we can eat at Jiko, Sanaa, and Boma! Can't wait for our trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter