• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegetarianism

dragonfly75

DIS Veteran
So, anyone here a Vegetarian? I'm not one myself, although I figured it might be a good new years resolution. I think that eating meat, being at the top of the food chain blah blah blah is just fine, except that we're not treating animals in slaughterhouses humanely.

Anywaaaaays.....If your a vegetarian, what caused you to become one?

when I grow up I might be a vegitarian..
it's not that I'm like into the animal rights it just I dont care for meat..

I was, for almost a year. I've never eaten much meat at all, so I took it to the next step. I am a huge animal lover, but thats not why I did it. I honestly can't tell you why. It was just an idea and I went through with it. I even convinced several people to become vegetarians.

I've never eaten a hamburger, and I've never wanted to. I'm not currently one.

I think it is just like any other eating choice. People look down on them, and sterotype them, but it is just another way to eat.

I am currently not a vegetarian, but I know quite a few people who are and I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

Hi dragonfly!!

Saw your post while I was looking at new posts.

Im 34 now, and have been a vegetarian since I was 15, for the same reasons you have. Its just a way of life now. Couldn't go back to eating meat now.

If its what your heart truly feels do it.

good luck

Sparx said:
I was, for almost a year. I've never eaten much meat at all, so I took it to the next step. I am a huge animal lover, but thats not why I did it. I honestly can't tell you why. It was just an idea and I went through with it. I even convinced several people to become vegetarians.

I've never eaten a hamburger, and I've never wanted to. I'm not currently one.

I think it is just like any other eating choice. People look down on them, and sterotype them, but it is just another way to eat.
Those things are more other stuff than beef. I believe a patty from McDonalds is 15% sawdust.

And I'm personally not a vegitarian. I like animals and all, but when I'm hungry, I'd rather have some sort of meat.

I was for a while and I am seriously thinking of becoming one again.
At first it was hard but it got easier.

!!PonyBoy!! said:
I was for a while and I am seriously thinking of becoming one again.
At first it was hard but it got easier.
I can see being a vegitarian quite easy actually. They have quite a few possiblities. Plus its "legal" to eat fish, which would help me stay sane.

I am 16 and have been a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) since I was about 11. Once I figured out what meat exactly was (around age 5) I only ate chicken nuggets and tacos...but then I completely cut out all meat/chicken/fish when i was 10-11. I became one because I don't really like meat in the first place, so it was really easy to just cut out chicken and tacos. :p I also have had high cholesterol my whole life and meat has tons of it and isnt good for me. The way animals are treated is an issue too, but I'm not one of thoes crazed animal rights supporters or anything. :rotfl:
Good luck if you decide to become one! :goodvibes

I tried it once, but I couldn't do without a steak or hamburger. But I think all of the people who are vegetarians are to be admired; I couldn't do it. Willpower - I lack a lot of it.

MuNkY said:
Those things are more other stuff than beef. I believe a patty from McDonalds is 15% sawdust.

And I'm personally not a vegitarian. I like animals and all, but when I'm hungry, I'd rather have some sort of meat.
I think everything from mcdonalds is 15% sawdust. ;)

I'm not a vegetarian because quite frankly I love meat too much... Esp. steak. But I don't mind people who are vegetarians I respect them as long as they don't throw red paint on my fur coat. (Not that I have one but you know what I mean.) Although I must say... I WILL NOT eat fast food meat. NO WAY! I don't think it's meat...

nightmareb4xmas said:
im a vegetarian because meat is digusting and unhealthy.
My words exactly!
It's hard for me to be a vegiterian right now because my family eats well.. a lot a lot of meat (my dad hunts and my brother hunts too) so it's kinda hard for me... right now at lease

OK, first of all, I would never beable to live with out meat!! and second they don't treat the animals unhumanly. They are bread to be eaten and when they kill the animals they inject them with something.

dragonfly75 said:
I think that eating meat, being at the top of the food chain blah blah blah is just fine, except that we're not treating animals in slaughterhouses humanely.

That's exactly how I felt and exactly why I became a vegetarian. I'm OK, in theory, with people eating meat. We're part of the food chain/circle of life/hakuna matata whatever. The way factory farming treats animals, though, is just unconscionable. I can barely stand to think about it, let alone buy their products and support it. A lot of people don't know, or don't want to know what actually happens in a factory farm, and choose to believe something like the person who posted before me. It can get a litle frustrating to deal with.

Being a vegetarian is not that difficult these days. I won't lie and say that I don't miss meat, but I proud to be living what I believe. I've tried so many different things I never would have before I went veg and I now have lots of new favorites. 9 times out of 10 whatever I'm eating looks a lot better than anyone around me!

It wasn't so much of a transition as just a decision. I just stopped eating meat. It took a while for me to really find all of my alternatives, but it really isn't that different. Breakfast is pretty much the same--just skip the bacon/sausage/ham or whatever. Lunch is not that hard. You can have PB&J, or cheese and crackers, yogurt, or a veggie burger. They also have lots of frozen meals you can eat. If you have a Trader Joe's near you--check it out. They have tons of stuff. But even at the regular grocery store you can get mac & cheese, meatless lasagna, cheese ravioli, etc. Dinner can take a little more creativity, but it's not hard. You can have all kinds of pastas, bean & cheese burritos/tacos/fajitas, cheese pizza, etc.

You will run into all sorts of people who won't support your decision. If I had a dollar for every person who gave me a puzzed look and said "But I couldnt' live without meat", I would be very rich. I think living well is the best way to "prove them wrong" so to speak. Eventually they get used to it and shut up.

It can be healthier, though that's not a guarantee. If you live on grilled cheese and fries, it's really doing you no good, but if you commit to trying new things and paying attention to what you're eating it's great for your health!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

i'm not a vegetarian for simple reasons, as i don't eat many veggies or fruit. there's just not a wide enough variety of food for me. i'm really picky with what i eat.
i'll eat chicken, turkey, hot dogs (occasionally), steak and rarely pork. i have never eaten a hamburger at mc donalds for my great dislike for them. they are tasteless and disgusting. and then the look of it. uck. i only eat them once and a while, and i can never finish them. i go long times though without eating meat, because i can't have chicken or steak every night of the week. as for chicken fingers, i can't eat them, the breading or the spices in it give me awful headaches. and i only eat mcdonalds nuggets. and trust me, i barely eat at rotten ronnies (mc donalds).

I tried being a vegetarian when I was 13. (currently 16) I lasted about a year. It was really tough though, because my mom still cooked meet for the rest of my family and it was really tempting.

I was mostly a vegetarian because I thought it was 'cool' (yeah, I'll admit that now :p ) I mean I do care about animals a whole ton, but that wasn't my main reason. I also wanted to lose weight. I found out that wasn't really the way to go for losing weight. I eventually gave in to the temptation of meat. (I'm quite a hamburger fiend! :rolleyes1 )

But honestly, best of luck to you! And hopefully you'll have more will power than I did!! :goodvibes :sunny:

Well, I think I'm going to go for it, I already don't ever eat meat for breakfast or lunch, so its just dinner, and on top of that I don't eat pork = P

So, if anyone wants to try it with me.....;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter