Vegetarian Options?

katrocity

Earning My Ears
We are traveling to WDW in December and using Dining Plan. Please send me any suggestions for restaurant options for vegetarians? Anyone had any luck requesting vegetarian entres with dining plan? I've been looking at the restaurant menus and very few seem to list veggie entres. I'm worried there might not be enough for me to choose from.

I know we are only a few months out and I need to get the restaurants booked soon, so I'm looking forward to your info.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Best

Kate

Every TS restaurant has at least one vegetarian option, so do most QS restaurants. Where do you want to eat?

The vegetarian highlights of our trip were the Picnic in the Park (the vegetarian sandwich was just OK, but the tandoori tofu was to die for), the seared maize cake at Jiko (my DH actually snared the manager to tell her how amazing it was), and breakfast at Boma. Breakfast at Cape May Café and the seared mango tofu at Sci Fi were also good. And we had several very good veggie burgers at QS places (there are other veg QS options, it was just circumstances that we had so many burgers). Let's see, what else? The hummus sandwich at Columbia Harbour House,... we don't eat mushrooms (I hate them and DH has an intolerance) so that drastically reduced our vegetarian options, but there were many, many dishes that sounded great but for the mushrooms.

Are you vegetarian or vegan? Are you a lacto-ovo vegetarian?

My advice is kind geared toward lacto-ovo vegetarians...but I am sure that if you talk to the chefs at the restaurants, they would find vegan-friendly entrees. (and I am highlighting the fare that I enjoyed, b/c I am sure that if you are like me, you like salads, but not as the main course for EVERY meal).

At TS, if you pick the buffets (in the parks: Crystal Palace, Hollywood and Vine), they have LOTS of offerings that were vegetarian-friendly. (sundried tomato risotto, for example.

Tapan Edo in Japan (Epcot) is another great option for getting your weight in grilled vegetables, rice, and udon noodles (with the cute Hibachi presentation as well).

Another would be Chip and Dale's Garden Grille for lunch (living with land Epcot)...they have super fresh vegetables, and I am sure that the chef can come up with an offering for you all.

Restaurant Marrakesh in Epcot has vegetarian options (like the vegetable kebabs on a bed of couscous).

Wolfgang Puck at DTD has amazing ravioli (pumpkin and 3 cheese varieties).

I know that they have vegan offerings at Boma (but I am not sure if that is all of the time, or my special request/reservations).

You could call the special dietary needs hotline at 407-824-5967 or emailing them at SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com.

Most places, talking with the chef about your lifestyle preference can help too. Sometimes they have a tofu that they can sub in for your entree (but not always).

As far as QS, I would suggest:
Sunshine Seasons at Epcot
Harbour House at MK (but you have to modify the HUGE salads to not have the chicken or fish on top) or Pinnochio's Village Haus.
At AK, eating a pizza at Pizzafari or fruit from the fruit cart in Kindani Village (sp?) or french fries at the burger places. When we went to AK, my sister and I would eat a huge breakfast and then snack on the fresh fruit or take a boiled egg into the park for a light lunch...AK was always hard for me where meals were concerned.
At Hollywood Studios, I really liked the Tabouli offering at ABC commissary.

At DTD, I would pick Wolfgang Puck Express...they have an amazing spinach salad and a Mediterranean foccacia melt that was AMAZING.

Good luck and bon appetit! popcorn::

PS There are probably stickies on this subject too, but I figured that I was just posting up my faves amongst the veggie fare. :)

In AK, we ate vegetarian at Pizzafari (we had breakfast with double potatoes instead of sausage, but they also do cheese pizza), Restaurantosaurus (veggie burgers), and of course the Picnic in the Park (only 1 sandwich is veg, but nearly all the sides are).

There are several vegetarian and vegan reviews on DIS. Here is a great one: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2180199

I loved the veggie shepherd's pie at Rose & Crown, the mac and cheese (offered several places), the veggie burgers (ditto), my meal at Chefs de France (but don't remember what it was!), did not like Marrakesh's veggie food at all, the GF high tea (a meal, really), Tony's pasta, and Wolfgang Puck had some of the best vegetarian food there! As I understand it from reading all these threads, many places have several vegetarian entrees now, as vegetarian options have been expanded over the past two years. We were last there in 2007, and I easily found things I wanted to eat then! You should have no problem.

My bf is vegetarian and ate VERY well at WDW in 2007 :goodvibes Obviously some places are going to be more accomodating than others but there was always at least one option for him at both TS and CS places. His favourite restaurants were Boma (Chef TJ who used to work there is now at Ohana, he's amazing ;)), Coral Reef, California Grill, Cosmic Ray's (they did Boca burgers then but have since changed to Garden burgers which are more the veggies and grains type rather than 'fake meat' IYKWIM) and Akershus for breakfast (they put the meat on a separate plate for me so he could eat from the skillet with no problems, he loved their breakfast potatoes too) Surprisingly he wasn't a fan of Jiko (me neither!) though it does get big raves from most veggies and vegans. We're eating at Boma again this trip (twice, for breakfast and dinner) but all of our other TS choice's are new to us so I should have more to 'report' on at the end of October :)

Loved Kona Cafe, wish I could remember the name of the dish but it had good options. I even got a veggie burger at PTC, just ask. Morrocco will have great veggie alternatives. Have fun.

AK has wonderful TS veggie options at Yak and Yeti. . .nearly every dish can be ordered as vegan instead of the meat options. . .there are only one or two exceptions. Tony's Town Square has many pasta options, my fave being the egplant stack - served at lunch. Since we eat cheese and I do eat seafood and fish (my sweetie - not so much), we had many choices. At Coral Reef there was a nice veggie lasagna, very tasty. At Yak and Yeti we had the Pho. . .Pho is a dish that is a noodle soup that you add spices to. You add them to suit your taste. . .I had my pho with shrimp and my sweetie with veggies. Tasty. At bistro de paris there is a beautiful polenta dish that is veggie. In morrocco there is a biryana dish that is to die for. Even at backlot express at DHS we found the greek salad to be awesome. You can always find something to eat at every restaurant and can even have some of the best dishes made with soy substitutes for meat instead. Just ask the server. . .they are very accommodating.

I'm happiest at HS. We love the tofu dishes at Brown Derby and Sci Fi and think the veggie sandwich is wonderful. We stick to CS at MK and love the Lighthouse sandwich at Columbia Harbor and like the veggie burger at Cosmic Ray's. I don't like the new veggie patties but the toppings bar makes up for that.

At AK we usually just get pizza at Pizzafari. At Epcot we used to like the Rose and Crown because they served an outstanding vegetable curry. The new shepard's pie tastes a little too much like leftovers to me but it's edible. Our favorite at Epcot is the vegetarian platter at the Tangerine Cafe. (I think that's its name?) As much as we liked it before, it's actually gotten even better lately.

If you end up somewhere that seems to have no veggie options, ask. I know the menu has recently changed but we did that at the CS at Mexico and found out they could make a whole vegetarian combo platter, though the menu didn't mention it.

Best of luck to you and have fun.
:)

Hi LizzyBear-

Thanks so much for your note! I can't wait to hear about your trip and the new restaurants you try this year!

Are you doing the dining plan? Which restaurants do you have reservered? I'm trying to figure out where we are going to reserve. With young kids it seems so hard to plan in advance where we will be when.

Best-

Kate

Hi LizzyBear-

Thanks so much for your note! I can't wait to hear about your trip and the new restaurants you try this year!

Are you doing the dining plan? Which restaurants do you have reservered? I'm trying to figure out where we are going to reserve. With young kids it seems so hard to plan in advance where we will be when.

Best-

Kate

:) I'm going to try and take food pictures to do dining reviews this time... We're eating at quite a few vegetarian only restaurants in New York and Boston (staying in these places before WDW) so my bf is already planning to hit the gym as soon as we get back! ;) Yep we're on the dining plan (we were last time too and thought it was great :goodvibes) and the TS meals we have planned are: (i've added some veggie related notes to each also)
Boma breakfast (can't go wrong with a buffet breakfast! My bf is a total breakfast person anyway and would have it for all 3 meals if he could :laughing:)
Boma dinner (Lots of veggie options here)
Whispering Canyon Cafe lunch (Bf is hoping to get the skillet without meat here as the vegetarian option looks a bit dire, it's not an obvious choice for us but we really want to try this place for the 'theme' as well as the food)
Flying Fish Cafe dinner (out of the signature places we hadn't tried this is the one we mutually agreed on, it gets great reviews generally so we have high hopes!)
Le Cellier lunch (not the most obvious vegetarian choice but the gnocchi sounds really nice, I must admit this one is more for me since I never eat steak at home)
Ohana breakfast (we're going to ask for the meat on a separate plate as with Akershus)
50's Prime Time dinner (love the theme here and the veggie roasted pepper seems to get good reviews)
Ohana dinner (the menu is pretty meat-centric but there are plenty of sides and a nice looking tofu vegetarian dish. When we heard Chef TJ was working here now we just had to eat there... Even if we don't get anything 'off menu' it'll be nice to see him again and get a photo this time!)

Pictures would be outstanding, thank you in advance!!!

I am a vegetarian and I ate some of the best vegetarian food I've ever eaten in Disney World! Some highlights:

At Sci-Fi Dine-In I had the mango tofu stir fry. It was so good!
At Crystal Palace there were so many good vegetarian options I couldn't fit them all on my plate!
At Columbia Harbor House, the Lighthouse Sandwich (Hummus, tomato and Broccoli slaw) was really great.
The best meals of the trip were Boma breakfast and Boma dinner. Again, so many veggie options I couldn't fit them all on my plate. I was too full to walk out of there when I was done.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter