Vegetarian delights and disappointments with photos

pinklotusflower

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone

Me & DH have just spent thirteen nights in a one bedroom at Boardwalk we are both vegetarians and as I found it difficult to find veggie reviews when planning our trip I thought I would have a go at writing my own review. We’re both from the UK and I’ve been veggie for 20 years and DH a year before this he was pescetarian so ate fish but went fully veggie last year.

Day one

We flew from Manchester to Orlando and our flight was delayed by about 40 minutes, our flight was good I have never seen a flight to Orlando with as many empty seats though which meant that getting through immigration was a breeze. It was our first time using the Magical Express to the Boardwalk which was about half full and stopped at the Caribbean Beach Resort first then the Boardwalk. We were really pleased to find we had been given one of the corner rooms.

room.jpg
Anyway on to the food, that first evening we headed to Epcot we had no ADR’s so thought we would try our luck at Via Napoli at Epcot we were seated in about 20 minutes. We went for a build your own pizza with mushroom and onion which was delicious. The pizza’s are made in wood fired ovens and have a smoky taste and there were plenty of toppings. The onions had been boiled which made them slightly sweet which was a nice touch. We both gave it 10 out of 10 and would go back again.

naploi pizza.jpg

We then looked around some of the shops before heading back as we’d been up since five. As we’re staying in a one bedroom I’d place a food order with Dizzy Dolphin which bell services had brought up when we arrived. I’d order things items for breakfast, snacks and some dessert as I’m often full after my main meal and like to have something sweet later. When we got back we had cheese cake and strawberries which was lovely and moist and gooey. The strawberries however were a bit tart and not sweet like mine from my garden at home.

cheesecake.jpg

The room is beautiful & the VN pizza looks awesome! We are huge fans of VN. While I'm not a veg I often eat meatless dishes, just because I like them, so I look forward to reading along!

I love the pizza look..and I like my onions sauteed a little before they put them on my pizza...anxious for the rest of your reviews.

That cheesecake looks delicious!

it was delicious, cheese cake is my favourite dessert

The room is beautiful & the VN pizza looks awesome! We are huge fans of VN. While I'm not a veg I often eat meatless dishes, just because I like them, so I look forward to reading along!

We loved having all the space and you get two balconies

I love the pizza look..and I like my onions sauteed a little before they put them on my pizza...anxious for the rest of your reviews.

I enjoyed the onions too, in the UK they always seem to go on raw

I can't wait to read your full report! I'm not a vegetarian, but the vegetarian choices are sometimes the healthiest choices, so that's what I end up doing at some places.

I have never heard of the Dizzy Dolphin. I checked out their website just now. How was it?

Day 2

We were both up really early as we were still on UK time and made breakfast in our villa, I had poached eggs on toast & DH had poached eggs, hash browns and beans. I bring the beans with us as it’s easier than trying to find vegetarian beans without paying extortionate prices for Heinz in the US. We headed to Magic Kingdom and we got there expecting to wait for rope drop to find it was opening at 8.00 which was a pleasant surprise. We didn’t have to wait long for any rides and had fast passes for seven dwarfs; we fancied a snack and headed to Gaston’s Tavern for a cinnamon roll. We shared one which was just enough, it was light and fluffy and not too sweet with a lovely taste of cinnamon. We both enjoyed it and gave it 10 out of 10; it’s a really good value snack.

cinnamon bun.jpg

We went on some more rides before our reservation at Be Our Guest for Lunch, this was only our second time here and I love the theming I just wish it was easier to get a reservation. I ordered the Quinoa salad with green beans, potatoes, olives, roasted bell peppers, golden beets and tomatoes. This is also vegan and was delicious, the salad was lovely and fresh and crispy and the quinoa had been nicely flavoured. DH had the mushroom and zucchini, bell pepper, onion and chive quiche which is served with baby lettuce coated with champagne vinaigrette. He loved this and said it was the nicest quiche he ever had, it was very tasty with nice short crust pastry. BOG has lovely vegetarian food and next year I’m going to try and get a dinner reservation as well as lunch.

quinnoa.jpg

quiche.jpg

We spent the evening in Old Town as DH wanted to go to the car show; we were limited with food choices there and ended up at Flippers Pizzeria. It has mainly outside seating with a small indoor area. We went for the veggie pie which had mushrooms, green peppers, red onions, black olives and Roma tomatoes we’re not big fans of olives so swapped them for half with pepperoncini peppers. The pizza was lovely with a crispy base and plenty of toppings, which were very tasty. I’ve never eaten here before and we loved the food but it was a bit cramped inside as we wanted to be in the air conditioning. The pizza was delicious and definitely worth the money and half the price of eating on site, but the venue is not that good.

pizza old town.jpg

I can't wait to read your full report! I'm not a vegetarian, but the vegetarian choices are sometimes the healthiest choices, so that's what I end up doing at some places.

I have never heard of the Dizzy Dolphin. I checked out their website just now. How was it?

thanks, you tend to get a lot more salad and vegetables with the vegetarian option although, I tend to find in the US we eat a lot more cheese as we are limited with choice in some places. Dizzy Dolphin have a Facebook page as well, it was really easy to order they shop where you want and I paid using PayPal a few days before we let, I would use them again.

although I am a carnivore..my favorite pizza has cheese, onions, green peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms and the dreaded anchovy...my husband says .."dont let that get near mine"..hahaha..wonderful photos

I'm not a vegetarian, but I love reading veggie dining reviews because they're usually of foods I wouldn't choose! It's very refreshing.
Flippers was our go-to pizza spot staying offsite as a teen. Growing up in NY, we were always pretty picky about FL pizza and thought Flippers was great. Agreed the seating isn't the best, though.
Looking forward to more!

Day 3

We were up early again and had breakfast before heading out to Magic Kingdom for rope drop, it was a bit busier today so we got on less rides but I’d managed to get fast passes for Seven Dwarfs which is one of my favourite rides. Lunch today was at the Columbia Harbour House, I love eating here when you get a table that lets you watch the world go by outside. We both had the lighthouse sandwich which is hummus, tomato and broccoli slaw on toasted multigrain bread with potato chips. If you ask for this without the broccoli slaw then it is a vegan option. We both really enjoyed these, the toasted bread is a nice touch and the broccoli slaw adds texture and taste to the hummus. The potato chips are hand cooked and delicious too, this is a nice option and it’s one of the places Disney is trialling the calorie count this was 870 calories. I had the chocolate cake for desert, the sponge was nice and light and the topping was nice and chocolaty and was a lovely finish to the meal.

hummus.jpg chocolate cake.jpg

We spent the evening at Hollywood Studios and had a reservation at 50’s Prime Time this was our first visit and we were looking forward to it. Even though we had a reservation we still had quite a wait before we were seated. I’d read about the joking around and how it recently had been toned down and it seemed to be which server you got. Ours did a bit but the older woman serving the table behind us was like what I had expected, so we were a little disappointed with our server. We had the Beer battered onion rings and horseradish sauce to start with. These were delicious the batter was crispy and went well with the horseradish sauce. For main we only had the one option of Cousin Ryan’s vegetable lasagne – layers of zucchini, roasted mushrooms, soy proteins, ricotta and mozzarella cheese served with marinara sauce topped with crispy multigrain pasta. This was awful it’s nothing like lasagne; it was congealed stodge on a plate. There wasn’t any layers of zucchini the pasta is what you can see sticking out of the top. We were both really disappointed with this and wouldn’t go here again unless the menu changed.

lasagne.jpg

Day 3

We were up early again and had breakfast before heading out to Magic Kingdom for rope drop, it was a bit busier today so we got on less rides but I’d managed to get fast passes for Seven Dwarfs which is one of my favourite rides. Lunch today was at the Columbia Harbour House, I love eating here when you get a table that lets you watch the world go by outside. We both had the lighthouse sandwich which is hummus, tomato and broccoli slaw on toasted multigrain bread with potato chips. If you ask for this without the broccoli slaw then it is a vegan option. We both really enjoyed these, the toasted bread is a nice touch and the broccoli slaw adds texture and taste to the hummus. The potato chips are hand cooked and delicious too, this is a nice option and it’s one of the places Disney is trialling the calorie count this was 870 calories. I had the chocolate cake for desert, the sponge was nice and light and the topping was nice and chocolaty and was a lovely finish to the meal.

View attachment 198198 View attachment 198199

We spent the evening at Hollywood Studios and had a reservation at 50’s Prime Time this was our first visit and we were looking forward to it. Even though we had a reservation we still had quite a wait before we were seated. I’d read about the joking around and how it recently had been toned down and it seemed to be which server you got. Ours did a bit but the older woman serving the table behind us was like what I had expected, so we were a little disappointed with our server. We had the Beer battered onion rings and horseradish sauce to start with. These were delicious the batter was crispy and went well with the horseradish sauce. For main we only had the one option of Cousin Ryan’s vegetable lasagne – layers of zucchini, roasted mushrooms, soy proteins, ricotta and mozzarella cheese served with marinara sauce topped with crispy multigrain pasta. This was awful it’s nothing like lasagne; it was congealed stodge on a plate. There wasn’t any layers of zucchini the pasta is what you can see sticking out of the top. We were both really disappointed with this and wouldn’t go here again unless the menu changed.

View attachment 198200

That is terrible! It's such a shame when they can't even figure out one vegetarian dish to have at a restaurant. They're chefs. They should be able to figure it out.

Vegan here...following and enjoying this thread. Just wanted to let you know that there's a Whole Foods in Orlando. If you have a car it might be worth a drive over there to stock your kitchen. Easy to find a zillion different types of canned beans, all vegetarian and many without salt. Plus loads of other great veg and vegan foods and treats.

Looking forward to more posts from you. And loving all the pix!

I'm enjoying your thread. I'm a pesco-vegetarian and my daughter is a vegetarian. Like you, we enjoy the vegetarian options at BOG, but find it a little harder to find something we like at other restaurants. We do well at the buffets, though, thanks to the many different offerings. Looking forward to reading more posts from your trip.

That is terrible! It's such a shame when they can't even figure out one vegetarian dish to have at a restaurant. They're chefs. They should be able to figure it out.

You get used to it, things have improved though the first time we visited the US and I asked if they did a vegetarian option she said we do chicken!

Vegan here...following and enjoying this thread. Just wanted to let you know that there's a Whole Foods in Orlando. If you have a car it might be worth a drive over there to stock your kitchen. Easy to find a zillion different types of canned beans, all vegetarian and many without salt. Plus loads of other great veg and vegan foods and treats.

Looking forward to more posts from you. And loving all the pix!

Thanks for the tip we used Dizzy Dolphin to deliver as we didn't have a car this year, but if we do next time we'll check it out.

I'm enjoying your thread. I'm a pesco-vegetarian and my daughter is a vegetarian. Like you, we enjoy the vegetarian options at BOG, but find it a little harder to find something we like at other restaurants. We do well at the buffets, though, thanks to the many different offerings. Looking forward to reading more posts from your trip.

I tend to avoid buffets at Disney as I don't find them very good value for money when your a veggie.

Day 4

We had a leisurely breakfast and then walked to Hollywood studios, I loved staying at Boardwalk and being able to walk to two parks. For lunch today we went to the Starring Rolls Cafe and both had the roasted vegetable sandwich, DH had chips with his and I had fruit with mine. The multi-grain roll was lovely and the filling was Portobello mushrooms, arugula, spinach, pickles, roasted tomatoes and red onions and sprouted seeds added a nice touch. The veggies were all fresh with plenty of flavour; I would definitely get one of these again. It does have mayo in so not vegan.

veggie butty.jpg

We spent the afternoon at the pool and then went to try the new Ample Hills Creamery. We decided to share a sundae which we had chocolate brownie, strawberry and chocolate ice cream, fresh cream, chocolate chips, caramel sauce and M&M’s. We really enjoyed this, the ice cream was nice and creamy and full of flavour, and you do get loads although by the end of it we did find it a bit sickly.

sundae.jpg

We spent the evening at Epcot and had a reservation at the Restaurant Marrakesh this was our first time here and it’s a nice venue and had belly dancers as the entertainment. As we were not that hungry we decided to share a starter and main and ordered them to arrive at the same time. We had the goat cheese with crispy bread for two which is a mixture of cheese and kalamata olives served with tabouleh, red pepper sauce and balsamic vinegar reduction. We enjoyed this; the goat’s cheese was sharp and slightly salty and was balanced by balsamic vinegar reduction. We had the only veggie entree which was couscous with vegetables – steamed tiny semolina pasta with steamed vegetables. This was disappointing it was mainly carrots there was no sauce and apart from the taste from the veggies was pretty tasteless. We did say something about this dish and ended up getting a discount. I wouldn’t eat here again if this is the only choice of main.

goats cheese.jpg

carrots.jpg

Thanks for the reviews of Starring Rolls and Marrakesh. Do you know if it's possible to customize sandwiches at Starring Rolls? I would not want the pickles or mayo, but if they can be left off, it looks like something good to try. Marrakesh has held a temptation for me, but we have not been. It's good to hear your take on the main veggie dish. The goat cheese appetizer looks so good, though. I may have to look at the menu and see if it's possible to make a vegetarian meal from starters.

The ice cream looks tasty. Yum! Good ice cream is hard to find here at home.

If you go back to Epcot and want to give Morocco another try, the veggie platter at Tangierine Cafe is good. You might like it better than the veggie couscous thing.

Joining in. I eat vegetarian dishes from time to time and will love to see what you had.

So sorry about your cous cous at Restaurant Marrakesh. I have had it many times, and it NEVER looked like that. It always had zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash or pumpkin, chickpeas and other veggies. In fact, I got the recipe off allears and make it often at home, even for company. So sad you only had carrots.

Waiting for your next installmemt.

Thanks for the reviews of Starring Rolls and Marrakesh. Do you know if it's possible to customize sandwiches at Starring Rolls? I would not want the pickles or mayo, but if they can be left off, it looks like something good to try. Marrakesh has held a temptation for me, but we have not been. It's good to hear your take on the main veggie dish. The goat cheese appetizer looks so good, though. I may have to look at the menu and see if it's possible to make a vegetarian meal from starters.

The ice cream looks tasty. Yum! Good ice cream is hard to find here at home.

If you go back to Epcot and want to give Morocco another try, the veggie platter at Tangierine Cafe is good. You might like it better than the veggie couscous thing.

sorry I don't know, they seemed to be ready prepared when we got our sandwiches, we went to the Tangierine Cafe and yes definitely a different and much better experience.

Joining in. I eat vegetarian dishes from time to time and will love to see what you had.

So sorry about your cous cous at Restaurant Marrakesh. I have had it many times, and it NEVER looked like that. It always had zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash or pumpkin, chickpeas and other veggies. In fact, I got the recipe off allears and make it often at home, even for company. So sad you only had carrots.

Waiting for your next installmemt.

Thanks, they must have run out of veg when we visited :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter