Vegetarian at Steakhouse 55 and Napa Rose?

geekypeach

Mouseketeer
I am a non-picky, easy-going vegetarian who has a meat-loving family. We're going to both restaurants next week, and want to know of there are other veggies out there that ate well without a fuss.

I refuse to order off menu, I just don't do special requests for myself. Most of my friends/family do not realize that I don't eat meat (fish/eggs/poultry included). I intend to order sides, soups, and salads. Just wondering if others felt the poritons were enough and were filling? I'm guessing they are, just would love to chat food with someone that's had them! Even if you're not veggie, everyone has an opinion!

Thanks. :)

Well, we have not done steakhouse 55, so I can't give you experiences from there, however, we HAVE done Napa's chef's counter and it was phenomenal! I wanted to tell you that you absolutely should not be afraid to ask for vegetarian/vegan options off menu at Napa. Creating special dishes there is kinda their thing! Sitting at the chef's counter we saw this in action! There was actually a large party and some were vegans and the chef was preparing all sorts of yummy things for them. You will only be able to find a couple items with no meat on the menu, however, they really do have a kitchen stocked with gorgeous veggies and can make you amazing things if you just let them know you are a veggie! It is totally not an imposition at all, REALLY! They actually love creating things at Napa! :thumbsup2

See, half of what I read says what you're saying, and then the other half, as well as the reservation person I spoke with today, say otherwise.

Reservations said it is a la carte, and basically, what you see is what you get. For Disney, she was really rather rude! That, in itself, makes me hesitate in asking for an off-menu offering. My fam and I are not seasoned fine diners, not by any stretch!

We are not booked for the chef's counter. Does that make a difference?

See, half of what I read says what you're saying, and then the other half, as well as the reservation person I spoke with today, say otherwise.

Reservations said it is a la carte, and basically, what you see is what you get. For Disney, she was really rather rude! That, in itself, makes me hesitate in asking for an off-menu offering. My fam and I are not seasoned fine diners, not by any stretch!

That is so strange! I wonder what the deal with the reservation person was? I do know that it makes no difference whether you are doing chef's counter or not. The party we watched them create these vegan dishes for were not sitting at the chefs counter. Andrew Sutton himself was taking part in creating this beautiful little morsels! It was a sight to see! :D

Perhaps they changed things? I really don't think so though....we were just there a couple months ago, besides they have been doing this forever. I have heard this many times. In fact, it's well known that at any sit down restaurant throughout Disney, you are welcome to ask to speak to the chef for special dietary needs. They are always happy to assist, and it is in NO way considered an imposition or being picky either! I think you may have gotten a receptionist who was either new, didn't really know how it is, or is just a really rude person. Who knows?

I am sorry about you experience with the rude CM. I have to say, it really bothers me to hear about this. It seems to me that there have been more and more reports of rude CMs all the time lately. Heck, we had a reeeeally rude one at a counter service when we were there, even though we were perfectly polite to her...I even considered reporting her, it was that bad! As Disney lovers, we all pay a small fortune to visit the Disney parks and there should be nothing but the best service there at all times! I do understand that Disney has really cut back on all sorts of extra things for the cast members, such as the holiday parties, etc. This in addition to the fact that they aren't paid well, I'm sure is what is what is factoring into all of this recent bad and rude service...but as the consumers that is not our issue, you know? Disney as a corporation really needs to stop being so damn greedy and start taking care of their employees so they have an incentive to provide good service and keep the parks a pleasant place for everyone, otherwise the parks are going to go down the tube! I would HATE to see that happen to Walt's park! Sometimes I ponder what it would be like if he could come back and see what it is like now. I think he would be tremendously disgusted with the greedy "more, more, MORE money for less, less, LESS offerings" corporation that his baby has become, you know? As someone who has been a Disney fanatic since I was a small child, It's sad. (stepping off the box now. lol)

Did you deal with Disney Dining, or Napa Rose itself? As we make our Napa Rose reservations directly through the restaurant. (Not that it is okay for either to be rude). But if you didn't talk to Napa Rose directly, thought perhaps they might be more helpful.

The info side of the Dis, wdwinfo.com, has an ever-expanding set of menus, FYI!

And you can also look here for the info on a different site.

I've had breakfast at Steakhouse 55, and their Huevos Rancheros are great. No meat, but egg of course.

I've thought that if I had dinner there I would make a meal from their sides. I'm not huge on asking for special things to be made, but one of the Best Meals I've Ever Had was actually at a (different) steakhouse, and was made up of sides, with veggies, potatoes, etc. Mmm so good.

And I wouldn't worry a bit about Napa Rose. The CM obviously didn't know what she was talking about. All I've ever heard about them is that they are amazing at making things from scratch if asked to.

I have what my doctor calls a "red meat resistance" that turned into a "meat resistance" for a while, so I was doing the vegetarian thing. The Napa Rose is the BEST place to eat for a vegetarian. We did the chef counter (but they will do it no matter where you sit) and told Chef Sutton that I couldn't have meat, and omgosh he went to town! I had deep fried zucchini blossoms with a salad of microgreens and a lovely sauce, seared goat cheese with a strawberry vinigrette drizzle, a lovely dish served with fried green olives (i don't remember what the dish was, it was the olives that stuck out), and a delicious salad with avocado, i think. I was very impressed and totally stuffed by the time I got done. The Rose is the best.

Here4my... we're two peas from the same pod. :) You're delightful!

I will have my husband call the restaurant directly. He is much better about those things than I am! I do the broad planning, he does the little things. It works well! Thanks all, for sharing your experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter