Vegetarian and picky eaters

Mama_Cass

Mouseketeer
Hi all!
We would love to stay at Aulani but are worried about what to eat while there!
We are a family of 4, all vegetarian. My husband and I will be good with anything vegetarian. My kids are more picky. Pizza, pasta, grilled cheese, maybe a veggie burger. So looking for restaurant recommendations that would work for everyone :)
Thanks!

There are several chain restaurants in the Kapolei area, which is one exit up from Aulani. I know Chili's is one of them, but I think there are more. I'm sure there's some at the mall as well. Those are always safe bets for vegetarians/picky eaters.

Aside from that, Anna Miller's is a quaint, inexpensive diner that is often recommended. It's very close to Pearl Harbor. Near Aulani, Monkeypod across the street has some basic fare but with a unique twist. I'm not vegetarian but I am picky, and found a few things I liked at Monkeypod. Pizza Corner is also there which has standard pizza and garlic knots. Down at the Marriott, they have a casual bar and grill, I think it's called Longboard's. I can't speak to the variety for a vegetarian at Makahiki at Aulani, but as a picky eater, I left there very full! We opted for breakfast at Ama Ama instead of dinner due to the menu. Ulu and Off the Hook were ok for something quick, but I wouldn't want to eat there more than once or twice a stay.

I am traveling with two vegetarians and one with an extreme dairy allergy (no milk, cheese, beef, butter). I am not worried about eating at Aulani, it is eating else were on the island.

I am traveling with two vegetarians and one with an extreme dairy allergy (no milk, cheese, beef, butter). I am not worried about eating at Aulani, it is eating else were on the island.
I agree. It's not eating at Aulani that worries me, it's eating elsewhere. My DGD has multiple food allergies (eggs, dairy, all nuts). I fear other restaurants won't be as safe as at Aulani.

I agree. It's not eating at Aulani that worries me, it's eating elsewhere. My DGD has multiple food allergies (eggs, dairy, all nuts). I fear other restaurants won't be as safe as at Aulani.
Why would Aulani be safer than any other upscale dining facility on the island? Plenty of local people have these same food allergies and don't have a problem finding a place to eat.

I am vegetarian but not picky and have never had any issues anywhere on the Islands. Nothing for me at the shrimp truck though, so I just walked over to one of the other food trucks.

My son has many food allergies, so this is one of the reasons why we like a villa with a kitchen. I cook in the villa a lot and we don't go out to eat much, except for the occasional fast food stop as he can eat burgers and fries. The grocery store is our friend.

Why would Aulani be safer than any other upscale dining facility on the island? Plenty of local people have these same food allergies and don't have a problem finding a place to eat.
Disney has world-class allergy management protocols that aren't found in many other restaurants. For those with extremely severe allergies, finding safe food away from home is nearly impossible and knowing that Disney specifically trains their chef in allergy management is reassuring. It saves the anxiety and stress of asking 900 questions about how their kitchen works, how the chefs are trained, how they handle allergy meals, prevent cross contact (separate utensils, separate grills, separate fryers, calling companies about ingredients, etc.), and so on. Of course, we still ask these questions at Disney, but we know we can trust their answers because of their highly regarded allergy reputation. I have been turned away at other restaurants because of my allergies but I've always been welcome and had safe meals at Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disney Cruise Line. Now, they are the only places I trust to eat away from home (plus a few others, though that list is extremely short). Hope that helps!

Disney has world-class allergy management protocols that aren't found in many other restaurants. For those with extremely severe allergies, finding safe food away from home is nearly impossible and knowing that Disney specifically trains their chef in allergy management is reassuring. It saves the anxiety and stress of asking 900 questions about how their kitchen works, how the chefs are trained, how they handle allergy meals, prevent cross contact (separate utensils, separate grills, separate fryers, calling companies about ingredients, etc.), and so on. Of course, we still ask these questions at Disney, but we know we can trust their answers because of their highly regarded allergy reputation. I have been turned away at other restaurants because of my allergies but I've always been welcome and had safe meals at Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disney Cruise Line. Now, they are the only places I trust to eat away from home (plus a few others, though that list is extremely short). Hope that helps!
I couldn't have explained this any better! Very few people understand how critical severe food allergies can be but Disney chefs understand.

I couldn't have explained this any better! Very few people understand how critical severe food allergies can be but Disney chefs understand.
Well, I guess the best thing for you would be to eat at Aulani and make meals to take on the go if you decide to leave the resort. I hope you enjoy the islands. :)

We have vegetarians, nut allergies, Gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance and fructose malabsorption in our family of four, Aulani looks after us...

After great experience with Disney elsewhere (WDW, Disneyland, DCL) I was actually really disappointed in Aulani. I will go back but definitely stick with the self catering options and buying food across the street. Monkey pod was tasty but quite salty although I'm sure they could make plain pizzas for the fussy children.

The problems with Aulani were the limitations at the overpriced quick service where they were very inflexible and unhelpful when I asked about options. I ate at the beachside restaurant for lunch on the last day and really had to push the waitress for vegetarian lunch options (other than just one of the salads without the meat). I had noted on my booking that I was vegetarian and was disappointed that the waitress wasn't advised and therefore prepared. The pasta they served was edible but not of the quality expected for the price. I guess I was just paying for the view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter