Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Have it noted on the reservation that she is vegetarian. They will make her a meal of her own. Both my daughter and I have done this there.

Awesome, thank you! I'll have to call and do it since there was no option for that doing it on the website. :)

Subscribing as I am sortuv vegetarian (since I do eat fish and seafood) but no meat or chicken. My worry with Disney as well is being limited since ontop of not eating meat, I have a very senstivie stomach and can't eat greasy foods, spice, or acidic foods (tomato sauce, citrus, onions, much garlic, etc)

One restaurant I was really debating was Ohana, since it is very meat heavy. But it gets such good reviews (and personally from friends that went there), plus my DH will love it. But it also seems like good variety with the salad, noodles, etc. Anyone here book Ohana's?
There are a few other family style though that we avoided since don't eat meat. Did you all find that too?

We have a couple of family-style breakfasts booked, and on the menus they each have a meat as part of the platter. Would it be helpful to note on our reservations beforehand that we're vegetarian, or is it easier just to tell our server? We eat eggs and dairy, so the only accommodation we need is for them to leave the meat off of our platter.

Subscribing as I am sortuv vegetarian (since I do eat fish and seafood) but no meat or chicken. My worry with Disney as well is being limited since ontop of not eating meat, I have a very senstivie stomach and can't eat greasy foods, spice, or acidic foods (tomato sauce, citrus, onions, much garlic, etc)

One restaurant I was really debating was Ohana, since it is very meat heavy. But it gets such good reviews (and personally from friends that went there), plus my DH will love it. But it also seems like good variety with the salad, noodles, etc. Anyone here book Ohana's?
There are a few other family style though that we avoided since don't eat meat. Did you all find that too?

We ate a 'Ohana a few weeks ago and really enjoyed. My wife is vegetarian and they made a special vegetarian dish for her in addition to the regular food. The shrimp at 'Ohana is my favorite. I don't find it to be spicy but I like spicy foods. My wife really enjoyed her meal there.

I knew this thread was around here somewhere, so happy to see it again!

We are planning our next WDW trip over Christmas and New Years, 2 weeks of WDW fun...and dining!:stir:

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, and we are wanting to eat at a few new places. I have a few quesitons:

1. What is the vegetarian dinner at the Spirit of Aloha show? I know it says to call ahead, just curious what the offerings may be or if you can arrange something that you like better.

2. We are thinking about the Garden Grill, is there anything there they offer vegetarians? Ive heard of some ppl say they just ate the kids mac and chz, mashed potatoes and bread. I can do that, but prefer a better meal for the price.

3. Any suggested restaurants that work great with vegetarians? I dont care for tofu, but will eat a little of it. I do like veggie burgers and fake chkn, also like pasta dishes.

4. Is there a thread anywhere for vegetarian dining pictures?

Thanks!

On our recent trip to Disney my wife (vegetarian) REALLY enjoyed Boma. I'm not vegetarian and I really enjoyed it too. She also enjoyed her vegetarian meal at San Angel Inn and 'Ohana. Those were probably her top 3.

I've got a food review from Crystal Palace that I'd like to share.

On Wednesday (May 28th), my DBF and I ate lunch at Crystal Palace. It was such a great experience.

DBF made a 1:15 PM ADR before we left for the MK that morning. Under dietary restrictions, he checked the box for "Other." At MK, we were already hungry by about 11:30, so we asked if we could check in early. The CM said yes, and gave us the pager. She also said that because the reservation noted an allergy, that a chef would come to our table to talk about it. Less than 5 minutes later, another CM called out our names and welcomed us to the restaurant (for whatever reason, the pager didn't go off).

When we were seated, our server came over and took our drink orders. Seeing the "Allergy" stamp on our dining slip, he told us that he'd go get the head chef, and asked us to wait at the table for him before we went to the buffet. A minute or two later, Chef Ron came to our table. He said that his information didn't include what the specific allergy was, so he just asked us what we needed. I told him it wasn't really an allergy, but that I was a vegetarian who very much preferred not to eat any dairy either. He said that would be no problem. He took DBF and me up to the buffet for a little tour of what I could and could not eat there. From the kid's buffet, the corn & peas were good to go. There was also a pasta and marinara dish that had meatballs in it. Ron said they add the meatballs last, so it would be no problem to bring me a special plate without them. He also said that all the breads on the buffet are non-vegan, but that he had gluten-free rolls in the back that are vegan, and he could bring those with some Earth Balance butter spread.

Moving along the buffet, he pointed out which of the cold salads were vegan and which had cheese. There were a total of 5 salads that would be good for me. There was a couscous, a sweet potato salad, roasted plantains salad, a beet salad, and an edamame salad. Then over to the hot items, he pointed out that the vegetables are cooked in only vegetable oil and no butter, so those were all good. The potatoes did have cream, however. He also warned me that the Brussels sprouts have chunks of bacon in them, but said he could make me a plate without the bacon. A little further down was a vegan curry rice pasta dish that he strongly recommended I try.

Ron confirmed that he would bring out the bread & butter, pasta & marinara, and Brussels sprouts. We then started helping ourselves to the buffet. Maybe a minute or two after we sat back down, Ron appeared with a giant plate of pasta & marinara, two of the gluten free rolls, and a generous helping of the Earth Balance butter. I liked these rolls so much (I liked the chewy texture), I half-jokingly told DBF I was going to start buying GF bread on my own anyway. A few minutes later, our server, Manny, brought me a plate of Brussels sprouts, no bacon. It seems those were cooked fresh for me (they were hot!) whereas the pasta, like Ron had said, was already ready to go, they just didn't add the meatballs to that helping.

kWDqexB.jpg

Both DBF and I really enjoyed our meals, and we were both very happy with the care and service both Ron and Manny had given me. It was exactly the kind of experience we'd read about in various posts and trip reports, but this was my first time getting it first-hand. We saw Ron a few more times during the meal, visiting other guests' tables and bringing them special-made food as well. At one point, Ron let us know about my options for dessert. He had four different items for me: Tofutti ice cream, Rice Dream ice cream, a sorbet (that he said was raspberry but turned out to be lime), and some vegan chocolate chip cookies. He told me to just let Manny know when I was ready for dessert, and he'd have everything ready for me. I made sure to save enough room because having vegan desserts really excited me! When I was ready, I let Manny know I'd like to try a little of all four of the offerings. Maybe 5-10 minutes later, Manny brought out this big platter of all of the desserts. The cookies were the pre-packaged, "Enjoy Life" brand. Each of the three frozen desserts was served in their own dish. I tried them all and liked them all, but I think my favorite was the Tofutti.

HMUv7Zkl.jpg

nPNQcPSl.jpg

(Back of the packaging for the Enjoy Life cookies)

When we had finished eating, we thanked Manny very much. DBF also found Ron and thanked him profusely too. Our first stop after leaving CP was to go over to Guest Relations and fill out a compliment card for both of them. It was such a good experience - everyone was so welcoming and friendly about my dietary needs. No odd looks, no eye rolling, nothing but making me feel like they really wanted me to have a great time. And I did! :)

I've got a food review from Crystal Palace that I'd like to share.

On Wednesday (May 28th), my DBF and I ate lunch at Crystal Palace. It was such a great experience.

DBF made a 1:15 PM ADR before we left for the MK that morning. Under dietary restrictions, he checked the box for "Other." At MK, we were already hungry by about 11:30, so we asked if we could check in early. The CM said yes, and gave us the pager. She also said that because the reservation noted an allergy, that a chef would come to our table to talk about it. Less than 5 minutes later, another CM called out our names and welcomed us to the restaurant (for whatever reason, the pager didn't go off).

When we were seated, our server came over and took our drink orders. Seeing the "Allergy" stamp on our dining slip, he told us that he'd go get the head chef, and asked us to wait at the table for him before we went to the buffet. A minute or two later, Chef Ron came to our table. He said that his information didn't include what the specific allergy was, so he just asked us what we needed. I told him it wasn't really an allergy, but that I was a vegetarian who very much preferred not to eat any dairy either. He said that would be no problem. He took DBF and me up to the buffet for a little tour of what I could and could not eat there. From the kid's buffet, the corn & peas were good to go. There was also a pasta and marinara dish that had meatballs in it. Ron said they add the meatballs last, so it would be no problem to bring me a special plate without them. He also said that all the breads on the buffet are non-vegan, but that he had gluten-free rolls in the back that are vegan, and he could bring those with some Earth Balance butter spread.

Moving along the buffet, he pointed out which of the cold salads were vegan and which had cheese. There were a total of 5 salads that would be good for me. There was a couscous, a sweet potato salad, roasted plantains salad, a beet salad, and an edamame salad. Then over to the hot items, he pointed out that the vegetables are cooked in only vegetable oil and no butter, so those were all good. The potatoes did have cream, however. He also warned me that the Brussels sprouts have chunks of bacon in them, but said he could make me a plate without the bacon. A little further down was a vegan curry rice pasta dish that he strongly recommended I try.

Ron confirmed that he would bring out the bread & butter, pasta & marinara, and Brussels sprouts. We then started helping ourselves to the buffet. Maybe a minute or two after we sat back down, Ron appeared with a giant plate of pasta & marinara, two of the gluten free rolls, and a generous helping of the Earth Balance butter. I liked these rolls so much (I liked the chewy texture), I half-jokingly told DBF I was going to start buying GF bread on my own anyway. A few minutes later, our server, Manny, brought me a plate of Brussels sprouts, no bacon. It seems those were cooked fresh for me (they were hot!) whereas the pasta, like Ron had said, was already ready to go, they just didn't add the meatballs to that helping.

kWDqexB.jpg

Both DBF and I really enjoyed our meals, and we were both very happy with the care and service both Ron and Manny had given me. It was exactly the kind of experience we'd read about in various posts and trip reports, but this was my first time getting it first-hand. We saw Ron a few more times during the meal, visiting other guests' tables and bringing them special-made food as well. At one point, Ron let us know about my options for dessert. He had four different items for me: Tofutti ice cream, Rice Dream ice cream, a sorbet (that he said was raspberry but turned out to be lime), and some vegan chocolate chip cookies. He told me to just let Manny know when I was ready for dessert, and he'd have everything ready for me. I made sure to save enough room because having vegan desserts really excited me! When I was ready, I let Manny know I'd like to try a little of all four of the offerings. Maybe 5-10 minutes later, Manny brought out this big platter of all of the desserts. The cookies were the pre-packaged, "Enjoy Life" brand. Each of the three frozen desserts was served in their own dish. I tried them all and liked them all, but I think my favorite was the Tofutti.

HMUv7Zkl.jpg

nPNQcPSl.jpg

(Back of the packaging for the Enjoy Life cookies)

When we had finished eating, we thanked Manny very much. DBF also found Ron and thanked him profusely too. Our first stop after leaving CP was to go over to Guest Relations and fill out a compliment card for both of them. It was such a good experience - everyone was so welcoming and friendly about my dietary needs. No odd looks, no eye rolling, nothing but making me feel like they really wanted me to have a great time. And I did! :)

I'm glad to see they have the enjoy life cookies at Cp as well as vegan sorbet. I am allergic to gluten, eggs, and dairy so my desserts are always vegan by default. But I'm also allergic to soy, oats, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, sesame, honey, and ginger so that makes things even more interesting and I love the enjoy life cookies.

When we were at CP twice during Christmas week 2012 I got an amazing top 8 allergen free chocolate cake. Apparently this one chef was like the on,y one to make allergy safe desserts if notified ahead of time and it was amazing. Unfortunately, our chef was different last June when we went and I had a great meal but was not offered any dessert so I know this August to ask for the enjoy life cookies especially since I can carry those with me for later.

i don't know if he's still the dinner chef at 1900 park fare, but when we were there 3 year ago, he was the dinner chef there and we were lucky enough to be there on a night he was working!!!!!

as to what he does?
yes he takes you around the buffet and shows you everything there you can eat.
AND - he prepares an amazing 3 course meal specially for you.

Does anyone know what days of the week he works? We love TJ and will go out of our way to go when he is there.

Kate

Does anyone know what days of the week he works? We love TJ and will go out of our way to go when he is there. Kate

I heard that he is moving to trail's end at wilderness lodge. Check out the veg Disney Facebook page. Someone posted about it.

I am curious if anyone knows what brand/kind of veggie burgers WDW uses? I am a vegetarian that has a corn allergy and I know a lot of veggie burgers have corn mixed in. I can only eat certain kinds, curious if they have Boca burgers as well?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I heard that he is moving to trail's end at wilderness lodge. Check out the veg Disney Facebook page. Someone posted about it.

pp said that he had moved from doing bfast at 1900 PF to doing dinner there.

If anyone knows his work days, please let me know.

Thank you.

Kate

From the Veg Disney FB page posted on July 2:
To all you Chef Tj fans. Starting Monday, July 7th he will be working the morning shift at Trails End in Ft Wilderness.

I messaged them to find out his days off and confirming that it's breakfast.

From the Veg Disney FB page posted on July 2:
To all you Chef Tj fans. Starting Monday, July 7th he will be working the morning shift at Trails End in Ft Wilderness.

I messaged them to find out his days off and confirming that it's breakfast.

Thank you for the info. I'd love to know what days.

Kate

Hi!

We had an amazing chef called Anthony when we went to Captain's Grille. He fixed one of the best vegan meals we have ever had. I think he was there in early 2013. When we went back to see him again in December 2013, he was not there anymore.

Does anyone know about this amazing chef? Is he still working at WDW?

Thank you for your help.

Kate

I'll post when I hear back. I'm not even sure if we'll go, table service breakfasts are tough for us to make.

I'm going to keep my eye out for your post. We also don't make breakfast reservations much (not big breakfast eaters) and would love to have dinner made by him again. :)

The only things we did not enjoy were... the mushroom bread in Poland, again just not very flavorful.

Wow, I loved the mushroom/cheesy bread from Poland and I'm not a huge mushroom fan. In fact, I think it's the only Food and Wine choice that I got seconds of!

Food and Wine as a vegetarian can be a little hard because so many things are desserts. One year, I ended up getting the veggie platter at the Morocco counter-service (which is a HUGE serving of lots of good things) because I wasn't finding much. There are lots of good snacks, but if you're trying to make Food and Wine a meal or two (which is easy for meat-eaters) it can be a little more challenging. But it's still amazing and I love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter