• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegan Disney 2012! Plus My BF's First Journey Outside the Midwest

queenofpainting

Poor Unfortunate Soul
Ah, it fills me with glee to reflect on my very first trip with my mom to Disney World in April of 2000, when I was in 4th grade.

In this picture from the Dinosaur ride (a favorite of mine), I'm the young girl in the middle row. My mom's next to me. My favorite thing about this picture is that one guy's stunned expression. I can picture him saying, "Oh my GOD. It's a freakin' DINOSAUR!" :scared1:

207354_1032683137726_1244830219_30090858_3784_n.jpg

Although I had only been to some other places in the Midwest and Paris at the time, Disney World had quickly become my favorite place in the whole world. Naturally, my mom and I returned for three more trips after that, one in 2002, and two at AKL in 2005 and 2006 after I had become a vegan in high school. We were both in awe the first time we spotted a giraffe at midnight on the way to our room.

Here's me at Epcot right before my 16th birthday!

2668_1143960879600_1244830219_30429176_7983289_n.jpg

Perhaps I should explain something about myself, which I'm honestly not sure is common or not in this forum: I'm obsessed with Disney. Not just Disney Parks, but films from the Disney animation canon. I'm a huge geek when it comes to those movies, along with others from studios like Pixar and Studio Ghibli. I have a background in writing and drawing, and in addition I study and obsessively watch films as well, so it seems natural that I would just love animation! Below is a picture of a small portion of my collection I temporarily set up. Who needs a car or a fancy cell phone when you can spend that money on Disney figurines and DVDs, anyway? Pfffft... :rotfl:

522112_3859807094058_1244830219_33843594_466828451_n.jpg

I didn't take many pictures of my two trips in high school, as I did not yet own a digital camera or a phone with a camera, sadly. However, I do have fond memories of my specially prepared meals at AKL and throughout WDW, including Boma, Jiko, Mama Melrose's, and even Mara! I was extremely pleased with the vegan options in a place I assumed would be otherwise not-terribly-vegan-friendly. One chef at Cinderella's Royal Table even surprised me with a chocolate cake and non-dairy ice cream during my birthday dinner.

This is me now: a college senior, slowly blooming out my shy awkward stage—though I will always be a natural introvert, of course—and passionate about pursuing a career in art education. I'm still in school, so traveling has become a rare opportunity for me. I visited NYC for a weekend to see an Asian Film Festival and Tokyo for three weeks last summer. No other trips since 2006, though. No, not even Disney, despite many (failed) plans to return back to the place that gives me some of my absolute happiest memories. :guilty:

320599_2465495637143_1244830219_33123819_1681363793_n.jpg

In 2010, I began dating my wonderful boyfriend, who is also now my best friend. We have yet to outgrow the puppy love phase! :hug: Something sort of unique about him is that he's from a very rural area and had never left the state of Michigan (where we attend school and met) before I took him back home to Chicago! He hadn't even been to the major cities of Michigan. He's never stepped foot on a plane and still hasn't seen anything outside of farm country and Chicago, so I'm excited for him to see Disney World. In a way, perhaps he can get a taste of other countries by going to AK and World Showcase. I'm also excited for myself, as I've always told my BF that he and WDW make me happier than practically anything in the universe, and I could only imagine the elevated joy I would have from experiencing my first WDW trip with the fella I adore. Oh yeah, and another thing about my boyfriend: he's vegan, too!

310440_2449789884509_1244830219_33109787_2059257_n.jpg

My trip came as a surprise. My mom's completing her master's degree and forwarded a promotional email about AoA to me, saying that she wants to go to WDW as a graduation gift to herself. She told me in a very stern tone, "I'm going whether or not you do. I am going to Disney World!" And let me tell you, there is no way someone would have to persuade me to go to WDW. ;)

6971867414_60fa504af4.jpg

While I like the color palettes of the Finding Nemo suites at AoA, my mom and boyfriend both prefer the Lion King suites, which I am also okay with considering it's my favorite Disney film. We are aiming for August 19-24th because it's a value week and right before school starts up again. The 19th also happens to be the exact midpoint between my birthday and my boyfriend's. :yay:

Art-Of-Animation-Resort-Lion-King.jpg

More details such as ADR and other plans to come soon! Hopefully I didn't mess up my very first pre-report.

Here's my very basic itinerary! ADRs to come next. I have planned the parks according to EMH, but I'm happy with the order as it turned out. For instance, I have always visited MK last, because I see it as the climax of my Disney trips, though it's not necessarily my favorite park.

There are no water parks, no Universal/IOA. I would have liked to do everything, but we just don't have enough time, even with 5 nights!

8/19: Arriving in the Holy Mouse-Ears Land

8/20 Fun Fun Fun in Hollywood Studios

8/21: Wonderful World-Exploring But Largely Outdated "Future" in Epcot

8/22: Crossing Rickety Bridges Over Nile Crocs in Animal Kingdom

* This may very well include a Wild Africa Trek! My BF is a bio major and while he's annoyed at the thought of spending money in general, he's very interested in this tour. :)

8/23: Visiting the Classics of Magic Kingdom

8/24: Goodbye May Seem Forever, Farewell Is Like the End...

* Probably will include a trip to Downtown Disney in the morning

ADRs!!!

8/19: Sanaa @ 8:00
*Possible vegan dishes: potato samosas with mango chutney, bread service, lentil stew, cauliflower, mango sorbet
*Notes:
- Has a vegan menu! :yay:

8/20: Brown Derby @ 1:25
*Possible vegan dishes: coconut-crusted tofu with rice noodles and sugar snap peas, and shiitake mushrooms in a red curry broth; fruit sorbets; simple salads
Notes:
- I have the Fantasmic! package but thinking about ditching it because I doubt my whole party will want appetizers and desserts.
- There's a video on YouTube of a new interactive iPad menu BD has for diners with dietary restrictions. With two vegans and a diabetic in my party, this will be quite useful!

8/21: Jiko @ 6:00
*Possible vegan dishes: mushroom flatbread, African drips and breads, curry-roasted veggies, lentils, couscous, seasonal fruit sorbet, Rice Dream
*Notes:
- Has a vegan menu available. Yay!
- I have been here before when they previously had a vegan tofu entree. I could have sworn my chef made me creme brulee or something. It was delicious!

8/22: 'Ohana @ 8:35
*Possible vegan dishes: veggie tempura, teriyaki tofu, crispy noodles, rice
*Notes:
- Most or all of the reviews I have read of vegan customers at 'Ohana online have been when Chef TJ was still working there. I'm hoping I can still find a delicious meal!

8/23: Liberty Tree Tavern @ 1:00
*Possible vegan dishes: quinoa burger with tofu tzatziki sauce and sweet potato fries, sorbet
*Notes:
- I'm not terribly impressed by the vegan options in MK, but I don't want to leave the park to go to a resort for lunch or dinner. LTT's one vegan dish look tasty, but it's really the only thing that appeals to me! I don't want to spend $40 for a Crystal Palace buffet.

8/23: 50s Prime Time Cafe @ 12:10
*Possible vegan dishes: bell peppers stuffed with smoked ratatouille and brown rice, veggie meatballs with WW spaghetti, milkshakes (!!!!!!!!)
*Notes:
- If my flight leaves later in the day, I'll go to this, but otherwise I might cancel

OTHER:
- I'm thinking of placing an order for a basic 6-inch cake in celebration of my boyfriend and I's birthdays! :yay: I've heard Disney will accommodate vegans, but I wonder if they're just going to us a GF cake mix.

Counter-Service Vegan Options:

Vegans will have to research options in Disney World before their vacation, but Disney can be quite accommodating. I'm determined to find food

AOA's Landscapes of Flavor:
*Possible vegan items: Not sure yet! I'm waiting for a menu to be released, like many others on here. But on the Disney blog, it looks like there will be a tandoori oven with veggie items like acorn squash, cauliflower, and maybe even tofu (unless that's just crispy paneer I see in the photo...). I am also hoping they have Divvies products and soy milk for snacks when I'm just chillin' in the pool.

AK's Restaurantosaurus:
*Possible vegan items: Supposedly a grilled veggie sub sans cheese. I'll have to go there and see myself.

HS's Backlot Express:
*Possible vegan items: Probably yet another grilled veggie sandwich minus cheese.

Epcot's Sunshine Seasons:
*Possible vegan items: tofu noodle bowl, various snacks

MK's Columbia Harbour House:
*Possible vegan items: vegetarian chili without cheese? Might have to ask to check.

DD's BabycakesNYC:
*Possible vegan items: Everything! Obviously. :cutie: I've tried a cupcake from the original NYC location and disliked it the point of not finishing it, but it may have been the spelt flour that threw me off, which I don't believe the Orlando location uses.

Very fun! My son is a vegetarian, which I know isn't the same as a vegan, but it's still taking me a little more planning for this trip. I'll be interested to read how it goes for you!

Following along as well, I'm a vegetarian and was worried about food selection but your list looks yum!

Awesome! I know a lot of the stuff I'll be eating is basically the vegetarian option anyway with the exception of cheese. When I started planning this trip, hearing about other vegans' experiences were extremely helpful. My mom, a diabetic, may also be eating a lot of vegetarian dishes that extend beyond vegan stuff, so that may be of some interest to people. :)

After reading the disABILITIES allergies thread, it looks like some of my planned snacks (Silk, Divvies) may not be available, but I'll see what I find there.

Awesome! I know a lot of the stuff I'll be eating is basically the vegetarian option anyway with the exception of cheese. When I started planning this trip, hearing about other vegans' experiences were extremely helpful. My mom, a diabetic, may also be eating a lot of vegetarian dishes that extend beyond vegan stuff, so that may be of some interest to people. :)

After reading the disABILITIES allergies thread, it looks like some of my planned snacks (Silk, Divvies) may not be available, but I'll see what I find there.

We have found Silk "juice boxes" at Walmart for my daughter to drink when traveling. She is lactose intolerant, maybe you can bring those with you so you can at least have a milk if you want :woohoo:

ADRs!!!
8/22: 'Ohana @ 8:35
*Possible vegan dishes: veggie tempura, teriyaki tofu, crispy noodles, rice
*Notes:
- Most or all of the reviews I have read of vegan customers at 'Ohana online have been when Chef TJ was still working there. I'm hoping I can still find a delicious meal!

I know that everyones experiences are different but on my last trip in Jan(Im vegan too) Ohana was not so magical. They are not nearly so accommidating as they used to be and Chef Julie seemed really put out that she had to come talk to me (i was the only non meat eater in my group). She went on and on about getting this family of four in that didnt eat meat and how she was like do they know what kind of place this is ??? She didnt even offer to bring me some non dairy ice cream for dessert, i had to ask.

I hope you have a better experience...

Chef TJ is at the grand floridian now

Hi! I came across your TR searching for vegan info and I'm in! I'm staying at AoA during my next trip too, and am so excited for the food court there. They have Babycakes cupcakes as a dessert option there!

Oh very interested in hearing more! We're hoping to convince some friends to join us in 2013, but wasn't sure how accommodating Disney was for Vegan. I've seen some chefs have issue with vegetarian...

About the cake - we ordered a GF cake for our DDs 5th B-day last year (the frosting wasn't vegan) and even if that is the cake you got, you'd be happy. It was very good - and so amazing (Lilo and Stitch). I'd suggest at least calling about it. Ours was a 10 in and $80 to give an idea of cost for a special order cake.

Looking forward to reading more! Just as an aside, I think we've been a dozen times and I've never had any of the chefs at Disney be less than fantastic. Hope you get all the good ones on your trip!

So how was the trip--especially the vegan food? Would love to get an up-to-date lay of the land!

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter