• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VB - What is the nearest airport??

chip1

Proud Owner of 400 BCV Points!!
Can someone please tell me what the nearest airport is to Vero Beach and its distance to the resort? Thanks.

Hi,

The closest airport to VB is Melbourne, but it is a small airport with no direct flights. It's about a 1/2 hour drive to the resort give or take, depanding on traffic. I think the best bet is to fly into Orlando, better prices and availability. It's about a 1 1/2 drive from MCO to VB. Greater variety of rental car choices at MCO.

Good Luck with your trip. Jackg57

We just returned from 8 days at VB. We flew out via Orlando. Left VB at 8:00 AM sharp and by 10:30 had gassed and returned the rental car, checked baggage, and were at the security line to the gates.

Melbourne doens't have many direct flights while there are all kinds of options from Orlando.

We used the Melbourne airport in January. It was about 45 minutes from the Disney Resort, and it was easy in and out. As others have said, there are no direct flights in that I know of. We were on a flight that connected through Atlanta. I have used this as well as the Orlando airport. For Vero Beach, I prefer the one at Melbourne.

Thanks. If we were to consider Melbourne, what airline flies into it from Orlando? Also, are there car rentals available there?

We just returned from Vero yesterday and used AA nonstop from O'Hare into West Palm Beach airport (PBI). They had slightly cheaper rates than into Orlando when I was booking. West Palm airport is MUCH smaller than Orlando, and it took about 1 1/2- 2 hours back to the airport yesterday, including the gas stop. There is some construction around the airport, which caused us to almost miss the exit. Its a nice-easy-to manage airport. We used National and they had an OK selection of full-size cars. One warning--the security line looked horrendous as they only let a certain number of people approach the metal detectors at a time, but it only took about 15 minutes, and actually seemed to be better controlled than at O'Hare. Gayle

Chip1 - yes there are several rental car agencies there. We rented there from Avis.

Thanks to all of you. This is quite helpful. Side note to GayleBWV, we are practically neighbors! My brother lives closer to you; he lives in Yorkville. How was your trip? We are planning to go to VB for the first time in April, 2003.

I don't think there are any direct flights from Chicago to Melbourne. West Palm and Orlando are the prime options.

Chip1-Our trip was great. The weather was high 70's low 80's with a short "thunderstorm" of about 15 minutes that didn't really even materialize, but we had to clear the pool area for a little while. My DH played golf at Indian River Club and twice at Point West, and liked both courses. Go to Capt. Hiram's in Sebastian if you like seafood. Since we both live here in IL I thought you would be interested in the O'Hare into West Palm info. If you have been to Midway, West Palm is sort of that size before the renovations, but West Palm is a lot nicer than the Midway before picture. It was fairly crowded since it was Easter week and the resort was sold out. Since the pool is a big draw, there is of course the staking out of chairs early. But I will admit that I really didn't notice a lot of people who threw something down then showed up hours later, most people actually USED the chairs they had reserved within a reasonable period. (ie the pool actually "opens" at 8:00 and stuff would show up at 7:00. I can't say that there is an abundance of things to do in the area, but we were there to relax, so it was great to just go to the pool and the beach.

We went to Kennedy Space center one day and it was fun, but the lines to buy tickets were long and slow. Before you go, you might want to check the shuttle schedule-we could see Atlantis in the distance, ready to launch sometime the first week in April. You can check their website to see what is happening while you are there.

Any other questions, let me know. Yorkville is just down the way from us. Gayle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter