VB Adoration & Information Thread (Plus 2007 Chair Swap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbox

"There is more treasure in books than in all the p
With summer upon us, it seems like requests for info about and pictures of Vero Beach are increasing daily. Please post all your VB photos, tips, and information for others to enjoy. Scroll down for the SWAP list!!

VERO BEACH FAQ

Contributors: MiaSRN62, mbhoxie, DisDaydreamer, Lisareniff, DVCconvert, Sorcerer's Dad, floridaFam

How do I get to Vero Beach?

Do you have to be a DVC member to stay there?
No you do not. You can make a reservation through a travel agent or by calling the resort. A Discount Code exists (from Birnbaum's 2007 Guide):
Get 10% off 2/1/07-2/15/07, 2/20/07- 3/24/07.
Get 20% off 1/1/07- 1/31/07, 4/15/07- 5/25/07, 5/29/07-6/28/07, 7/5/07-8/30/07, 9/4/07- 11/21/07, 11/26/07-12/19/07.
When reserving, ask for code BPQ.

What is rack rate for the resort?
Value Season (Jan 1-31/Aug 12-Dec 19)
Studio: 175 OVIR: 190 1bd: 265 2bd: 345 Cottage: 745
Regular Season (April 15-May 30) and Summer Season (May 31-August 11)
Studio: 225 OVIR: 270 1bd: 345 2bd: 460 Cottage: 925
Peak Season (Feb 1-March 24)
Studio: 290 OVIR: 325 1Bd: 425 2bd: 630 Cottage: 1015
Holiday Season (March 25-April 14 and December 20-31)
Studio: 309 OVIR: 365 1bd: 440 2bd: 660 Cottage: 1135

What is the difference between an Inn Room and a Studio?
With an Inn room :
You'll get 2 queen beds and it is about 360 sq ft. You also will have a small frig, wet bar, and microwave. Select corner Inn rooms are slightly larger and L-shaped. So as you enter the room through the door, you see a narrow walk space and the kitchenette is right there. As you turn the corner, you have the main space with the beds.

A studio is about 375 sq ft and also has a frig, wet bar and microwave. The difference is you will get one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. So if only two people are staying in the room and sharing the bed, you can keep the sofa closed and allows more floor space. The Vero Beach studio room is the same shape as the OKW studio so the floor space is optimized in my opinion.

Studios (particularily ground and 2st floor), don't offer much of a view. There is a lot of very lush tropical foilage surrounding the ground floor studio and larger villas. Ocean View Inn rooms are a reservation option.

What does availiability typically look like?
Peak season at South Florida beaches is in the Spring, with March and April (Spring Break) being the most popular. Summer is typically not as difficult to reserve as Spring is. By calling at 7 months, you can likely get any week you want. I've had luck getting summer time calling only a few months prior.

What is the beach like?
The beach is on the "wild" side, with lots of waves and a pretty sharp drop off. Children should be closely supervised.
Rob describes it here:

"It is not a big beach, but it is never crowded so size, in this case, doesn't matter. Vero beach is an ocean playground. The waves on most days are formiddable and great for boogie or surf boarding.

The sand is brown and coarse, and gets hot in the summer. For me the hot sand is a sensory awakening and I find myself thinking... "yes, I really am here... ouch, damn that's hot... ow, ow, ow".

I love the ocean waves. VB receives the gulf stream flow so the water temps are pretty steady for much of the year. I like to think that sharks don't like waves and stay out further than I venture. I have never seen a shark at VB, but PamOKW recently posted a story about a shark bite incident at VB last year. Thanks, Pam. Typically, I feel pretty safe if there are a lot of children in the water. They tend to wear brightly colored swim suits and flail around like an injured fish. They certainly are more appealing to a shark than me. Ok, that was bad. I'm Sorry.

Jelly Fish? Hah.... VB has PORTUGESE MAN-O-WAR! Actually, I have been to VB almost all the months between March & November and only once have I encountered these slimey creatures of pain. Yes, I was stung. Not too bad though... just felt like a thousand bee stings.

DW is one of those who tans by hearing the word "sunshine". She is not addicted to the waves like I am. She is happy to plant herself in the HOT sand and soak up the Florida sun while reading a trashy romance novel. Hey, don't get me wrong... those books... they keep the blood hot if you know what I mean. There is never a problem finding a spot to set up camp at VB.

One real nice thing about the beach is the proximity to the Pool bar & grill, and your room. So If you have hankering for a Margarita or a hamburger, OR nature is suddenly calling (#2, you can do #1 in the ocean), your remedy is very close by. We typically will set up early in the morning and go back and forth between the pool, the room, and the beach throughout the day.

The beach doesn't have much in the way of shelling, but it does have turtle nests."

Is there a lifeguard on duty?
There are lifeguards at the pool, but not on the beach.

Is there internet service at the resort?
Yes. As of last August they have Wireless in the lobby and sitting areas of the main building. They also have a public access computer off of the lobby area. cost is $9.95/30 minutes. Not sure if they plan to add wireless in the rooms.

What sort of activities does the resort offer? Is there a fee?
There are a number of planned recreational activities. Some have age-limits and/or fees. These include (but are not limited to):
Fishing Fundamentals (age 7+): 30.00/35.00
Lagoon Adventure (age 7-17): fee ???
Kayak Adventure (age 8+):40.00/45.00
Pelican Island Bike Tour (age 12+) 8.00/10.00
Seaside Chefs (age 4+) fee?????
Unbirthday Parties (age 4-12): No fee
Campfire (all ages): No fee - Monday/Wed/Fri/Sat nights
SnorkelEars: 30.00/35.00
Turtle Troop Adventure 20.00/25.00
Discovery Scuba: 30.00/35.00
Cel Painting: 10.00/15.00
Faux Gyataku Craft: 7.00/10.00
Sand Casting: 3.00/5.00
Tennis Lessons
30 min: 27.00/30.00
60 min: 50.00/55.00
Garden and Museum Tour: 15.00/20.00
Beginning Birding (seasonal): 8.00/10.00
Surf School: 90.00/95.00

What is the temperature like?

Temps.jpg

Is there a supervised kid's club?
There is a 3-hour 3DC Discovery Club for kids age 4-12 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Price is 35.00 per child for non-members and 30.00 for DVC members. Dinner and supervised activities are included and advance reservations are required.

What is availiable for rental at the resort?
There are a number of items availible for rental. Prices are as follows (DVC Member/Non-Member)
2 Chairs and Umbrella: 24.00/30.00
Umbrella: 10.00/12.00
Beach Chair: 7.00/9.00
Cushioned Lounge Chair: 9.00/12.00
2 Lounges and Umbrella: 28.00/36.00
Body Board: 9.00/12.00
Cabanas: 12.00/15.00
Bikes (hourly): 5.00/7.00
Bikes: 14.00/17.00
Tennis Racket: Complimentary/5.00
Miniature Golf Rental Equipment
Hourly: 1.00/2.00
Entire Stay: 5.00/7.00
Kayak (30 minutes): 20.00/25.00
Jet Ski (30 minutes): 55.00/60.00

What dining options exist at the resort?
VB offers more dining options than most Disney resorts: Shutters is a casual table service restaurant featuring American cuisine, fresh seafood, and a wood-brick oven. Character dining is offered Saturday morning, reservations are suggested. The Green Cabin Room offers specialty drinks, a light lunch and appetizer menu, and both indoor and outdoor dining areas. There is nightly entertainment. Sonya's is open select evening and features signature dining with steaks and seafood. Brunch is availiable on Sunday. Bleacher's offers pool-side counter service with hot dogs, hamburgers, subs, and salads. Alcoholic speciality beverages are also offered. There is also the option of Inn Room Private Dining, including the option to pre-order breakfast with a selected delivery time. Prices seem to be on par with all Disney resorts in terms of CS,TS and Signature Dining experiences. The Disney Dining Experience card (DDE) is accepted at VB.
Please Note: The DDP is NOT accepted at VB.
Menus: Shutters:http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_vero1.htm
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_vero2.htm
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_vero3.htm
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_vero8.htm

Does the resort do anything special for holidays?

4th of July is pretty cool. For a while, there were fireworks in Orchid just North of the resort. They were fantastic. There are also fireworks in Sebastian which you can watch from A1A.

The resort always does something for most holidays. We really enjoy Halloween at the resort. They have costume contests, pumpkin carving contests, trick or treating, etc.

What are my dining/grocery options outside of the resort?
Orchid Island Pizzeria right next to DVBR on the corner of A1A and 510. They serve a thin crust style pizzia with choice of lots of toppings, pasta dinners, and hot and cold subs. They will also deliver to the lobby of the resort. 772-388-5151

There is commercial strip in Vero Beach about 11 miles/20 min away. Includes just about everything you can think of - Super Walmart, Sams Club, Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, - complete mall. Plenty of places to spend money! The outlet malls are a few more miles past that out to the west.

There is also a Super Walmart in Sebastian approx 9 miles to the north, along with some smaller strip malls - Publix etc. Sebastian is a smaller city, home of Pelican Island, Capt Hirams restaurant and bar (think tables in the sand), Squid Lips restaurant. -

Where Can I Get A Massage?
Massages are availiable on-site, but there are a few full-service spas in the area:

Studio Gabriel Full Service Salon and Spa
772 -234-8105
http://www.studiogabriel.com/services.asp

Yulin's Day Spa:
http://yulinsdayspa.com/index.php?action=website-view&WebSiteID=253&WebPageID=5761

What is there to do in the surrounding area?
http://www.fws.gov/pelicanisland/

http://www.floridastateparks.org/sebastianinlet/

http://www.portcanaveral.org/news/status.htm

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

http://www.fws.gov/merrittisland/

http://www.manateecenter.com/

As for 'things to do' -- don't forget or discount McKee Bontanical Gardens.

http://www.mckeegarden.org/
Another place to check out..especially with Pirates of the Caribbean being so popular.
It's maybe 15 minutes from the Vero Beach resort. Here's some more info :
http://www.atocha1622.com/mclarty.htm:
Mc Clarty Treasure Museum
13180 Highway A1a
Vero Beach, FL 32963
(772) 589-2147

What are NoSeeUms and how do I deter them?
No-See-Ums are tiny insects, closely related to the mosquito, officially called Biting Midges. They only fly in temperatures over 70 degress, so they are more of a problem during summer months. They are most active during sunrise/sunset, so it is recommended that you keep your patio doors closed during these times. Common insect repellants (DEET) do not deter No-See-Ums. The best way to avoid them is to wear long pants/sleeves at sunrise and sunset. Products such as Cutter Advanced and Cactus Juice have been recommended by many VB veterans.

How can I see sea turtles?

Sea turtle nesting and hatching season runs May-October. Most of the turtle nesting takes place from June-August, and hatchlings emerge about 60 days after the nest is made. There are a number of night-time walks organized that allow small numbers of the public to view the nesting phase, but the hatchling phase is far too dangerous to view and there are no legal public walks to view hatchlings. If you would like to see a hatchling, there are morning "Turtle Troops" at the resort three times a week where the naturalist takes you to look at the nests. Once hatchlings begin emerging, it is not uncommon for there to be hatchlings that did not make it left behind, and you may get a chance to see one of those.

If you are at Vero during nesting, there are various places to arrange for a turtle walk. First, the resort offers a turtle walk lottery on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Guests can place their room keys in a lottery at 10am, and enough keys are drawn to fill 20 slots on the tour. There is no charge, but space is very limited and the walk takes place on the beach @ the resort where there is about a 50% chance that you will see a turtle.

On Tuesdays, the Caribbean Conservation Corporation hosts a free turtle walk through Sebastian Inlet State Park. (321-985-4852)
You must reserve a spot ahead of time, and a total of 20 people are allowed on the beach. This takes place in the Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge, a few miles down from Disney's Vero Beach Resort and has a 80% success rate for finding and viewing turtles.

The Caribbean Conservation Corporation also sponsors an "Adopt-A-Turtle" program on Monday nights. There is a charge for this (I believe it is 20$ plus 10$ for each additional person in the group). This also takes place in the Archie Carr Refuge and you must make reservations. Contact number is 1-800-678-7853.

I personally recommend one of the CCC walks, since you can make reservations ahead of time and have a much higher chance of seeing a turtle nesting.

What sort of other ameneties are offered at Vero Beach?
Anchors A Weigh Fitness Center, Rub Dub's Massage, Blinker's Arcade, Nightly Live Music in the Green cabin Room, Hair Beading and Hair Wraps, Valet, Video Rentals, BBQ Grills, Steamer's Sauna

Why are Vero Beach points cheaper than other resorts on the resale market? Should I just buy there to save money?
The most expensive annual dues make VB one of the most expenive locations to own over the long term. Mbhoxie breaks it down here:
"VB points tend to be cheaper for a number of reasons...

1. Dues are higher there than any other resort... Partially due to the remote location, and partially due to the fact that the place has been smacked by two hurricanes and is heavily insured.

2. To some, the resort is in a fairly remote location, not known traditionally known as a resort/timeshare area.. You have to either drive or rent a car to get there. The surrounding towns have some activities but its not setup as a tourist area... Some people buy in with the expectaton of being entertained like they are at the parks... Not going to happen.

Bottom line.. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER buy points at a place that you don't intend to stay at... Bad business, and it will be stressful."

What's the address/phone number for the resort?
Disney's Vero Beach Resort (a DVC resort)
9250 Island Grove Ter
Vero Beach, FL 32963
(772) 234-2000

THE 2007 BEACH CHAIR & ETC SWAP LIST

Vero Beach Chair Swap Group One
May 20-24 – Luv2Trav –
May 27-June 1 – milmom –
June 3-6 – Bjakmom –
June 8-13 – amylovesdisney –
June 23-24 – lsayd –
July 5-8 – jennypenny –
July 17-20 – Debs Hill –
August 3-6 – danilent1 –
August 16-21 – Christine42566 –
September 9-14 – ducklite –
September 27-29 – belle1627 –
October 1-3 – 50 Years Too –
October 6-9 – Shellbelle1971 –
October 19-22 – Wink13 –

Vero Beach Chair Swap Group Two
May 21-25 – kdzgon –
May 26-29 – cmdobien –
May 31-June 3 – TEXASPRINCESSES –
June 3-9 – DrJK –
June 9-14 – starbox –
July 7-11 – 2infinityandbeyond –
July 22-29 – Mrs Nick –
September 19-21 – keliblue –
August 5-9 – ddhoeg –
August 13-17 – MOQu –
August 19-25 – wendy k –
October 5-8 – jasheehy –
October 9-12 – Paulamurf –
October 31- November 5 – Lenc324 –

Love the pictures! :thumbsup2 I'll be trying VB for the first time, and can't wait to fall in love with it! ;)

I haven't been there since 2001 so these pics are about 6 years old (my...the kids sure did grow up fast ! :sad1: )....but I'll post them anyway (also...these pics are my pre-digital days so please excuse the quality):

f387a318.jpg

f387a332.jpg

f34e178f.jpg

f34e1787.jpg

f34e175a.jpg

f34e1754.jpg

f34e174e.jpg

Alrighty then.... Picture this if you will :cool1:

P1010144.jpg

P1010143.jpg

P1010136.jpg

P1010131.jpg

P1010095.jpg

P1010092.jpg

P1010089.jpg

P1010082.jpg

Birthday cake my daughter made for DW & me (our BDs are a week apart).
Turtle hatchlings heading into the ocean.
DSCF3086.jpg

DSCF3082.jpg

DSCF3080.jpg

DSCF3063.jpg

DSCF3054.jpg

DSCF3051.jpg

DSCF3047.jpg

DSCF3043.jpg

DSCF3036.jpg

DSCF1188.jpg

DSCF3026.jpg

DSCF3028.jpg

DSCF3066.jpg

P1010076.jpg

P1010077.jpg

Seems we are limited to 25 pictures.... Guess I'll stop now :beach:

Hey...anyone there more recently than 2001---do they still have this hidden mickey in the lobby tree ?

f34e179d.jpg

Elevator :
f34e176c.jpg

The lobby :
f34e179a.jpg

Here's a few more pic's :)

Vero13.jpg

Vero12.jpg

DSCN0196.jpg

As photographed from the top front balcony of my beach cottage - a pilot whale slaps the water:

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0136.jpg

DVCconvert....that whale pic is one of a lifetime ! Awesome shot ! You were in a beach cottage ?

Great pictures! I am adding a FAQ to the top of the thread. Please PM me or post answers to any of the unanswered questions (or with additional questions) and I will add your responses to the FAQ and credit you for the answer! :goodvibes :goodvibes

I haven't been there since 2001 so I'm a little hesitant to offer info.
I can address the following :
9250 Island Grove Ter
Vero Beach, FL 32963

(772) 234-2000

Rentals : I can definitely say they rent jet skis. I cannot recall the price though as it was several years ago. I also recall boogie boards and umbrella rentals.
The beach is smallish. It's very narrow but never seemed crowded to us. We were there in mid August 2001.

Shopping : there were some shops about 20 min away. Immediately surrounding the resort there is not much at all. There is a very good restaurant not too far called Ocean Grill if I'm not mistaken and I believe it faces the ocean. It has gotten very good reviews though we haven't dined there ourselve.

Restaurants at the resort :Shutters:
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_vero1.htm
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_vero2.htm
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_vero3.htm
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_vero8.htm

They have character meals one or two days a week and ADR are a must here. The year we were there it was Goofy and his nephew. Not sure who is there now.
A pic from our Shutters dinner one night. The dining room is sort of like Tony's in the MK. You have the interior dining room and then the enclosed patio (outside) dining tables. We were on the outside :

f34e175c.jpg

Sonja's (costlier of the two). We did not eat here during our stay :http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_vero5.htm

My tip : We stayed in an ocean view Inn room. Request a corner/upper room. Not guaranteed but worth a try. These rooms are "L" shaped and a bit larger. This was our view from our corner, 3rd floor room, taken from our balcony :
f1e235be.jpg

The old trash bag over the cast routine.... Looks like it didn't spoil all the fun.

I am so mean, I would not allow boogie boarding though. :rotfl: :rotfl: We are in VB-in-one-month lock down now, which means NO Monkey Bars!!!

I haven't been there since 2001 so I'm a little hesitant to offer info.
I can address the following :
9250 Island Grove Ter
Vero Beach, FL 32963

(772) 234-2000

Thanks for all the Info and photos MiaSRN! I added you to the FAQ! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :grouphug:

I will take this one... :thumbsup2

Why are Vero Beach points cheaper than other resorts on the resale market? Should I just buy there to save money?

The points are cheaper because I need to find a way to talk DW into buying our third VB contract!! :banana:

No.. Actually... VB points tend to be cheaper for a number of reasons...

1. Dues are higher there than any other resort... Partially due to the remote location, and partially due to the fact that the place has been smacked by two hurricanes and is heavily insured.

2. To some, the resort is in a fairly remote location, not known traditionally known as a resort/timeshare area.. You have to either drive or rent a car to get there. The surrounding towns have some activities but its not setup as a tourist area... Some people buy in with the expectaton of being entertained like they are at the parks... Not going to happen... (Personally, I think this is the charm of the resort... All of the Disney magic... None of the hustle and bustle... :cloud9: )

3. I imagine some people bought contracts with the intent that they'd almost always be able to book at an onsite resort at the seven month window, and found out that it is easier said than done... (Depending on the season you want to book and the resort..) Every now and then a rumor pops up on the boards that the Vacation Club guides were using this as a sales tactic to get the resort sold out...

Bottom line.. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER buy points at a place that you don't intend to stay at... :sad2: Bad business, and it will be stressful.. If you are interested in VB, I would STRONGLY recommend you try it out for a long weekend stay 3-4 nights or at least drive there from WDW for a day visit so that you can see the resort for yourself and gauge the driving distance.;

DVCconvert....that whale pic is one of a lifetime ! Awesome shot ! You were in a beach cottage ?

Yes...I agree that it was a once in a lifetime photo opp....but I'm hoping to prove that wrong! ;)....and yes...I was in a BC - if I recall correctly - it was # 1475 :)

Wow is all I can say. We have only stayed once and fell in love with the place. Somehow we never figure out when we want to go in time to book a room for VB. DS would rather be there than at WDW.

Thanks for posting all of the wonderful pics everyone!

Shopping : there were some shops about 20 min away. Immediately surrounding the resort there is not much at all.
--The village shops are closer - but to get to "Vero" proper, that's about right.

ve character meals one or two days a week and ADR are a must here. The year we were there it was Goofy and his nephew. Not sure who is there now.

----Goofy and Max are still the main characters, but occassionally, Donald will join them - and the Character Breakfast at Shutters is held once a week at a price-fixed breakfast at Shutters. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter