Vaxxed and traveling the next day. How bad of an idea?

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
In keeping with covid discussion must stay on track pertaining to travel, I am planning a J&J vaccine this Thursday. I have auto travel plans the next late morning. Is this foolish?

I know several folks my age who got this vax and had no reaction at all.

I'm hoping I can still do my travel plans, even if I'm a bit fatigued but I'm curious what others think. I'm 60, healthy, strong and rarely sick. I have a strong immune system and recover quickly.

My DS did it. He came down with symptoms while on a ferry to Martha’s Vineyard, then spent the next 16 hours pretty ill in a hotel room. After that he was fine, but he missed out on a big dinner and some other activities while he was sick.

It’s a gamble.

Not a great idea. My adult sons both had the JNJ vaccine and both had symptoms all night. One even vomited for a while. I will say they felt much better the next day but of course were tired from lack of sleep.

Both are very happy they got it. But I don’t think either one would have wanted to travel the next day.

My 24 yr old son this was his experience Got the J & J at 5:30 pm next felt off kinda yucky around 2 pm felt worse the rest of the day"fluish" woke up at 7am for work had a fever and felt really crappy. Took a shower around 2 pm felt great. My sister 58 had no reaction to the J & J .

I think the stronger the immune system the more likely you will feel effects, although it's not definite since I know young people who have been vaccinated and gone day drinking without any disruption LOL.

Why not go get the shot now and give yourself an extra day? I think the shots are walk in nearly everywhere.

I can't get it today because I have to take my 90 yr old parents to the doctor tomorrow and it can't be changed. Ugh.

I had little symptoms for the Pfizer shot, but my contractor, a big, young 30ish guy was knocked off his feet for 4 days after the J&J shot. I don't think it started until a day or two after.

Everyone else I know was only slightly symptomatic, with tiredness being the # 1 complaint and low fever being #2, from any of the vaccines.

I'd say what time tomorrow? If you get it early enough I'd say you have about a 50/50 chance of feeling fine, other than the sore arm (most people I know who got J&J had a sore arm for a full week.)

DH & I are about your age. Here's what I'd be most wary of if you have plans to drive somewhere: the sleepiness. Everyone I know who got J&J, including myself and my DH, got hit with an irresistable wave of sleepiness about 3-5 hours after getting the shot. I mean the sort of sleepy you get when you take opiate painkillers; it was absolutely impossible to stay awake. I slept 16 hours straight, and DH slept for 14; other than that we didn't have any issues.

Look up the situation we are in, in The Netherlands.

The Dutch government promoted J&J as 'dancing with Johnson' (it rhymes in Dutch, it has a good ring to it, Dansen met Jansen'). Young people could get their shots and go dancing and clubbing that same night.

Thanks to Delta and this idiocy our figures went up massively. We were at less than 600 cases a day a week ago. This week we did 10.000 again and our r-figure is back at March 2020 levels. Of course there was more to it, but going out immediately was not a good plan.

The Belgium government is using us as an example how not to do it.

Great you get your vaccination, but wait the 2 weeks as is advised.

In keeping with covid discussion must stay on track pertaining to travel, I am planning a J&J vaccine this Thursday. I have auto travel plans the next late morning. Is this foolish?

I know several folks my age who got this vax and had no reaction at all.

I'm hoping I can still do my travel plans, even if I'm a bit fatigued but I'm curious what others think. I'm 60, healthy, strong and rarely sick. I have a strong immune system and recover quickly.
My dh, son and daughter, as well as myself have all been vaccinated. Only my son (very healthy 19 yr old) got sick - he had very bad flu-like symptoms for about 18 hrs, starting 6 hrs after getting the j&j vaccine.

The rest of us got Moderna or Pfizer...not sure if that played any part in it. As far as we know, none of us ever had Covid either.

Is the shot necessary for travel? You wouldn't be fully vaxed until two weeks after the shot as well. If you are really worried about it, you could wait to get the shot until after your trip.

I'm a relatively healthy 45 year old and only had some slight arm pain after both of my Pfizer shots. My wife, also healthy and the same age had zero effects after both of her Moderna shots. My kids, 15 year old twins, didn't have any effects after either of their Pfizer shots. A colleague who is 27 and healthy had the J&J and had no effects.

I don't think there is a way to predict it. Are you a gambler? It's more likely that you WON"T have any negative effects but it's still possible.

DH and I were sick for 24 hours after both moderna, my sister the same with J&J, my 24 year old sick about 12 hours, my 18, 18, 20 and 23 year olds were fine. All but the 24 year old had covid.

Be aware of the risk and if you're planning on doing the driving yourself, I'd serioulsy re-think. I had absolutely no side effects whatsoever after my first dose but my second hit like a ton of bricks. I actually was on an unavoidable road trip and had taken the shot in the morning before leaving town. Twelve hours later (10:00 pm) I was way too messed up to have continued on; luckily by that time we were in a hotel for the night, and what a miserable night it was. I was able to get up and carry on by check-out time the next morning but if the timing had been different and I was on the road during the worst of it, I would have been in trouble.

I would absolutely postpone getting the vaccine. 3 of 4 in my family had a reaction that lasted several days. (104 fever, vomiting, tired, etc) We would have been too ill to travel anywhere the next day.

Ages at vaccination were 40, 39, 22, 17. All very healthy. So that doesn’t really factor into predicting whether you will have a reaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter