Varadero, Cuba?

FayeW

DIS Veteran
I asked this on the community board, forgetting that Americans can't travel to Cuba, so I hope someone here can help!

We will celebrate our 20th anniversary next April, and are considering a special trip to mark the occasion. I like the look of Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay, but a friend just returned from Varadero and had a great time. They stayed at an adult only resort, and we will have the kids with us so I need recommendations for a budget friendly, family, all inclusive resort in Varadero. Would like beach front/ocean view, good selection of buffet/restaurants, and good pool area (waterslide or water park would be awesome!).

Thanks everyone!

I am actually going there for the first time at the end of this month so I can let you know! My mother in law is taking my DH, myself and our 2 kids but I booked it and one thing I know is most of the resorts aren't geared for a family of 4. The rooms seem to have 2 twins or 1 king and they don't allow more than 2 adults in a room so with my DD being 13 she is considered an adult at many places. That being said, we would have needed 2 rooms but the resort we are staying at has new family suites where they sleep up to 8 people (2 story, 2 bedrooms). My Dh goes there alot on business and he has said the food is okay but the beaches are beautiful.

There are a few things to know about Cuba. There is very little to do there. If you are happy just sitting at the pool or beach you will be fine. Also, the food is not good. They fry everything. This is pretty much the same regardless of the resort or part of the island. You must stay in a 5 star resort or else you will be given sandpaper for towels and toilet paper. That is if you get any at all.

I am actually going there for the first time at the end of this month so I can let you know! My mother in law is taking my DH, myself and our 2 kids but I booked it and one thing I know is most of the resorts aren't geared for a family of 4. The rooms seem to have 2 twins or 1 king and they don't allow more than 2 adults in a room so with my DD being 13 she is considered an adult at many places. That being said, we would have needed 2 rooms but the resort we are staying at has new family suites where they sleep up to 8 people (2 story, 2 bedrooms). My Dh goes there alot on business and he has said the food is okay but the beaches are beautiful.

I am looking for a location in Varedero for a family of 5. What is the name of the hotel with the family suites? Thanks.

Americans can travel to Cuba if they fly out of Toronto not the US... It is not Cuba with the problem it is the USA not liking or allowing Americans to go there.

Varadero...
...nicest beach I've visited
...worst food I've experienced

Can't say I'd ever go back to Cuba. Have you looked into Mexico? The Mayan Riviera is fantastic with plenty to see and do off resort for all ages.

I am looking for a location in Varedero for a family of 5. What is the name of the hotel with the family suites? Thanks.

Breezes Bella Costa. It gets mixed reviews on Trip Advisor but there are some traveller's photos of these family suites on their web site.

Cuba is amazing... I love Havana but have never been to Varedero. I've been told that if you're going to stay in Varedero stay at a foreign owned resort. Cuba is not known for great food but I had some amazing meals eating at restaurants that were not on the tourists radar.

I'd skip Jamaica. Too built up Miami is the same and cheaper. Mexico? Not these days. I love Mexico and have been several times to both coasts but things are just a little too touchy right now. I'll wait to they get all this gang/drug nonsense sorted out.

My folks went to Antigua recently and loved it. Turks and Caicos is great but pricey. I hear good things about Belize.

Can you tell I travel a lot??

I would really like to stay at the Atlantis, but it's too rich for my blood. We could stay at the Comfort Suites and have all the access to the Atlantis, but they want $275 per night for that, and for another hundred or so per day we could have all inclusive somewhere in the Caribbean. The appeal to Montego Bay was the resort itself. It has a bunch of restaurants, a water park area for the kids, etc. Being "built up" isn't an issue for us because we probably wouldn't stray to far from the resort anyway, if it had lots of amenities for us to enjoy. JetBlue flies to Montego Bay now as well, so the possibility of cheap airfare is a consideration. Currently we have a $60 credit with JetBlue that I would like to use up.

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

We decided to go to Jamaica. We chose Beaches Negril because they are having an amazing sale right now, and I was able to book for March Break 2010. At least I think it is an amazing sale...total price for 2 adults/2kids was $4158. USD which is apparently half price. Once we add in the airfare we should be between $5500-$6000. JetBlue just added Montego Bay to their schedule starting in May so I have no idea what the flights will cost so I will watch for a seat sale.

Would March Break at Beaches for a family of 4 REALLY cost $9K+ without this sale, or have I been bamboozled into thinking I got a great deal?

I asked this on the community board, forgetting that Americans can't travel to Cuba, so I hope someone here can help!

We will celebrate our 20th anniversary next April, and are considering a special trip to mark the occasion. I like the look of Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay, but a friend just returned from Varadero and had a great time. They stayed at an adult only resort, and we will have the kids with us so I need recommendations for a budget friendly, family, all inclusive resort in Varadero. Would like beach front/ocean view, good selection of buffet/restaurants, and good pool area (waterslide or water park would be awesome!).

Thanks everyone!

Sirenis la Salina is a wonderful family resort! We have stayed there! Nice quiet part or Varadero..down near the end of the pier.
Depending on how old the children are they may be bored...this resort does have a great waterslide and the staff does a great job at amusing the kids.
We have also stayed 2 resorts down at Iberostar Playa Alameda and while it was a 5 star when we were there it was the most boring resort EVER!!!!

Have you ever been to Jamacia???
Please be careful with Children. While beach vendors are not allowed to approach you on land they stand in the water! We will NEVER travel to Jamacia again with or without our children! Just be careful!!!!!!

No, never been to Jamaica. The resort we have chosen is Beaches Negril, and gets excellent reviews on trip advisor. I haven't been able to read all 141 pages of reviews yet, but no one has mentioned any difficulties with the vendors. Many of the reviews talked specifically about how the vendors didn't bother them and that they felt very safe with the security visible on the beach. Our kids will be 13 and 15 when we go, so they aren't little kids.

We are considering this resort primarily because of the excellent programs for teens and older children. They have a waterpark, teen club, and the XBOX 360 garage which would be a big hit with my kids. If I have to bring them with me to celebrate my 20th anniversary it might as well be to a place they will have a good time!

No, never been to Jamaica. The resort we have chosen is Beaches Negril, and gets excellent reviews on trip advisor. I haven't been able to read all 141 pages of reviews yet, but no one has mentioned any difficulties with the vendors. Many of the reviews talked specifically about how the vendors didn't bother them and that they felt very safe with the security visible on the beach. Our kids will be 13 and 15 when we go, so they aren't little kids.

We are considering this resort primarily because of the excellent programs for teens and older children. They have a waterpark, teen club, and the XBOX 360 garage which would be a big hit with my kids. If I have to bring them with me to celebrate my 20th anniversary it might as well be to a place they will have a good time!

just be aware that you can't walk off the resort like you can on most islands! And if your kids are girls..keep an eye on them. Especially if anyone is Blonde.....It is a beautiful place! The report you chose is beautiful..have a wonderful time!

just be aware that you can't walk off the resort like you can on most islands! And if your kids are girls..keep an eye on them. Especially if anyone is Blonde.....It is a beautiful place! The report you chose is beautiful..have a wonderful time!

We've had the same problem in Bahamas and trust me you don't have to be a blonde.

I have several clients that travel a lot to all inclusive resorts, by a lot I mean about 5 times per year. They have all said basically the same thing about Jamaica. The island probably has the most beautiful resorts in the Caribbean but, as stated above, you don't go outside of the resorts and you must be super cautious of the locals. In particular, if you are a young pretty girl. They will rob you or hurt you with out even a thought.

Thanks for the warnings, we will be vigilant. My husband is not happy about going to Jamaica, mostly because of the crime, but he did agree to book the holiday because of the resort amenities. He would prefer to go to Cuba, but I would need to find a resort in Cuba that has great programs for the kids. The waterparks, teen clubs and XBOX 360 games rooms are hard to match.

Frankly, I am not interested in going off the resort. I am interested in paying one price that includes everything and not have to reach in my wallet for the rest of the week. With the amenities at the Beaches Resorts, I think we can accomplish that.

I did make a change to the resort we chose, though. I found out that Beaches Sandy Bay and Beaches Negril share the same stretch of beach, and if you are a guest of either resort you have access to all of the amenities and restaurants at the other. I switched our reservation to the smaller Sandy Bay resort because I was able to upgrade our room to a Beachfront One Bedroom (instead of a Deluxe double), AND it was $400 cheaper! We always rent condos when we go to Florida because we are not a family that enjoys all 4 of us sleeping in one room for a week. This way we (DH and I) will have a bedroom with a king bed, and the kids will EACH have a double sofa bed in the living room. It also has a wrap around balcony, with ocean view. Not bad for $3779. for 4 people! (Beaches Negril was $4158 for the room with 2 double beds). Best of all we can spend all day at the waterpark at the other resort if we want to, and eat all our meals there if we are so inclined! The have a shuttle that goes every hour, and it takes about 4 mins.(Or we could walk 10 mins up the beach) Best of both worlds, I say!

There are a few things to know about Cuba. There is very little to do there. If you are happy just sitting at the pool or beach you will be fine. Also, the food is not good. They fry everything. This is pretty much the same regardless of the resort or part of the island. You must stay in a 5 star resort or else you will be given sandpaper for towels and toilet paper. That is if you get any at all.

Yikes

Based on this and your later comments on Jamaica you'd better not venture anywhere more exotic than London, ON!

I've been to Cuba several times and never been at a loss of things to do - lots of day-trips and tours if you choose. I've also never gone without toilet paper or towels and have found plenty of fresh, unfried food. Cuba is a lovely country and I would return in a heartbeat.

Yikes

Based on this and your later comments on Jamaica you'd better not venture anywhere more exotic than London, ON!

I've been to Cuba several times and never been at a loss of things to do - lots of day-trips and tours if you choose. I've also never gone without toilet paper or towels and have found plenty of fresh, unfried food. Cuba is a lovely country and I would return in a heartbeat.

FYI....I've been to Cuba and that was my personal observation. As to Jamaica, those were the remarks passed on to me by 8 different people and if you read the other posts the comments are similar.

As far as your other comments go, I've travelled the world extensively. I've been to many parts of the world that I'm sure you wouldn't go even if paid to do so. Including third world countries.

Yikes

I agree...we loved Cuba! my son loved to venture downtown. Food was fine. My husband And son are VERY picky eaters and they both found something to eat at each meal.
Towels were soft the only thing we found odd was that there was no wash clothes!
We found it safe. And we travel ALOT! Both with our son and without.

We were advised by a friend as well who is from Jamacia who comes to canada to work on the fruit farms each year to stay away from Jamacia..and he is a local folk! But we didn't listen and we went anyways...lol
We loved the Varadero Beach tour..double decker bus. $5 a day for a wrist band and you can get on or off it as much as you like. Catamaran Tour where we actually got in the water and swam with the dolphins was amazing!!!

Just be a cautious traveller!

Thanks everyone!

I am not posting this to scare you but it is right on the Jamaica Tourism site! When us travellers mention the cons of going there its not cause we want you NOT to have a nice vacation it is because we are familair with the Island!!!

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Gang violence and shootings occur regularly in certain areas of Kingston and Montego Bay. These areas include, but are not limited to Mountain View, Trench Town, Tivoli Gardens, Cassava Piece, and Arnett Gardens in Kingston, and Flankers in Montego Bay. Some neighborhoods are occasionally subject to curfews and police searches. Impromptu demonstrations can occur, during which demonstrators often construct roadblocks or otherwise block the streets. Travellers should check with local authorities or the U.S. Embassy for current information prior to their trip.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs’ web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts, as well as the Worldwide Caution, can be found.
Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the U.S. and Canada, or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

The Department of State urges American citizens to take responsibility for their own personal security while traveling overseas. For general information about appropriate measures travelers can take to protect themselves in an overseas environment, see the Department of State’s pamphlet A Safe Trip Abroad.

CRIME: Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston. While the vast majority of crimes occur in impoverished areas, the violence is not confined. The primary criminal concern for tourists is becoming a victim of theft. In several cases, armed robberies of Americans have turned violent when the victims resisted handing over valuables. Crime is exacerbated by the fact that police are understaffed and ineffective. Additionally, there have been frequent allegations of police corruption. Tourists should take their own precautions and always pay extra attention to their surroundings when traveling, exercise care when walking outside after dark, and should always avoid areas known for high crime rates.

As a general rule, valuables should not be left unattended or in plain view, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Care should be taken when carrying high value items such as cameras, or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women's handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

The U.S. Embassy advises its staff to avoid inner-city areas of Kingston and other urban centers, such as those listed in the section on Safety and Security, whenever possible. Particular caution is advised after dark and in downtown Kingston. The U.S. Embassy also cautions its staff not to use public buses, which are often overcrowded and are a frequent venue for crime.

To enhance security in the principal resort areas, the Government of Jamaica has taken a number of steps, including assignment of special police foot and bicycle patrols. However, in 2008 two American families reported having been robbed inside their resort hotel rooms while they slept. Particular care is still called for, however, when staying at isolated villas and smaller establishments that may have fewer security arrangements. Some street vendors, beggars, and taxi drivers in tourist areas aggressively confront and harass tourists to buy their wares or employ their services. If a firm "No, thank you" does not solve the problem, visitors may wish to seek the assistance of a tourist police officer.

Just make sure you read up before you go!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter