• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vanilla in Cozumel

CinderellaDreamer

DIS Veteran
I would like to buy vanilla in Cozumel. Is it regulated like other alcohols purchased while in port?
Has anyone purchased vanilla there? Is it worth the trouble, or not really better than what we get back here in the states?

Also, how do they handle purchases of rum and such when coming back onto the ship? My first time cruising, and it seems that the alcohol policies have recently changed too.
Thanks!

While vanilla extract contains some alcohol, it is not an alcoholic beverage and won't be subject to the alcohol restrictions when returning to the ship. I haven't purchased vanilla in Cozumel, but I have purchased it in Cancun. You need to be careful as to the brand you buy. You can get very good vanilla for much less than what you will pay at a grocery in the states. You want to purchase a brand that contains only vanilla beans and alcohol, no other additives.

The alcohol policy changed last fall. You may bring up to 2 bottles of wine OR 6 beers on the ship for consumption in your stateroom at embarkation and any port. DCL will collect and store any hard liquor or wine and beer above the limits and you may pick that up the morning of disembarkation.

We have bought vanilla every time, and there is one particular brand that we feel is really good (but I am no chef and it is only my opinion). It is only sold in their specialty store.

Los Cinco Soles - Organic Vanilla.

The Store is actually called Los Cinco Soles, it is a bit of a walk (less than a mile - if you are docked at the Northern Pier). When you come off of the pier you cross the street and turn left and walk down, The store is on the right....address is below (Google it). The store is nice, and nobody harasses you to buy stuff.

http://www.loscincosoles.com/
LOS CINCO SOLES, Calle 8 Norte, Centro, Cozumel, Mexico (This is what I used to search in Google Earth)

On a side note....bring large ziplock bags, double them up and put the vanilla bottles in them for travel (nothing like having a suitcase smelling of vanilla when you get home)...

Do Not buy it from the vendors in the little strip mall that you pass through to get to the roadway. They charge twice as much as you will pay if you just walk a few blocks down the road.
I buy Totonac's Mexican Vanilla, have been purchasing it for years. It states on the label that the product meets FDA requirement and does not contain Coumarin. Make sure what ever you buy says this! Being Mexico there is no guarantee that what the label says is true though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter