• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vancouver Hotel Options

DLgeeks

Mouseketeer
We are getting ready to book our first Alaska cruise for next June and I have been poking around trying to figure out what the best options for pre-stay hotels are. It looks like most folks are recommending the Pan Pacific, which looks gorgeous, if a bit pricy. When staying there how do you handle transport from the airport? Does the hotel have a shuttle or do you have to arrange transportation separately? The other option looks to be the Fairmont at the airport, which I assume means we could just use the DCL transfers to the port?

I've navigated cruise logistics at PC and in Long Beach, but this will be our first out of Vancouver so I am trying to figure out what will be the easiest to manage with luggage and two little kids!

Yes Pan Pacific is the one, centrally located, above the cruise terminal, lefts to the terminal they take your bags there as well.

We books a transfer both ways, our one to the hotel was with legacy who are the limousine company of the PP.

You can get a non pre booked taxi ,its easy at the airport.

You can take the rail line The canada line direct and easy.

Vancouver lodging is pricey. We stayed at the Sheraton Wall Centre last June and we cashed in points. The hotel is up the hill from the terminal. W/o luggage it would be an easy walk to the terminal. W/ luggage it was a short cab ride. We liked the hotel and the area quite a bit. However, our children range in age from 10 - 15 so they are pretty easy to deal with.

MUN

If it wasn't for the kids I would plan to range a bit further a field, and not worry too much about it, but traveling with them is always exhausting enough that I just want to go for the maximum convenience this time around!

There are also two Fairmonts right in downtown Vancouver.

I personally love the Listel Motel on Robson; sometimes you can get a terrific price on it, and it's a very pleasant place, close to lots of food and even Whole Foods.

To me everything in downtown is walkable to Canada Place, but it's also all VERY "cabbable". I personally wouldn't stay at the airport if I'm trying to get sightseeing done; I'd stay right in the downtown core area.

Reactions: MUN
I used Last Minute Travel and was able to book a hotel less than a half a mile from Canada Place for $134 a night. That booking is for this year in June.

I used Trip Advisor to find our hotel, seeing how there are several that are
not in our budget. We will stay at the Blue Horizon on Robson St both
before and after the cruise...

I used Last Minute Travel and was able to book a hotel less than a half a mile from Canada Place for $134 a night. That booking is for this year in June.

I was also able to get the Pan through LMT for August - but booked it right after we got home last year. I called along the way, as I was told by a colleague who sailed before us that he was given a law enforcement discount, to check the rate and the agent told me the rate I got could not be beat. She also noted that it was only available for booking during a small window. I would recommend jumping on a good rate when you see it as it may not stick around. Good Luck!

We love loved the Fairmont Vancouver Waterfront hotel right across from the cruise terminal. Yes, the rooms are pricey, but most in Vancouver are. I had a view of the Wonder pulling into the terminal at sunrise - it was gorgeous! You can just take your own bags and walk across the street on embarkation morning - it was very convenient. We also really loved the breakfast buffet at their restaurant in the lobby, casual but very good food!

Aby

There are also two Fairmonts right in downtown Vancouver.
There are three downtown now, plus one at airport....
  • Fairmont Waterfront.... across from cruise terminal
  • Fairmont Pacific Rim... 3 blocks from cruise terminal
  • Fairmont Hotel Vancouver.... 6 blocks from cruise terminal
  • Fairmont Vancouver Airport.... adjacent to US departures.

• Most popular... Pan Pacific. Wake up to the the Wonder at your feet (just make sure your room is facing the right dock)
  • Nearby cruise terminal hotels.... Fairmont Waterfront (across the street), Fairmont Pacific Rim (3 blocks away)
  • Further away... Delta Suites, Day's Inn, Auberge
  • Even Further Away.... Hyatt, Marriot Pinnacle, Marriot Harbour front
  • Budget downtown.... Empire Landmark, Blue Horizon, Hampton Inn
  • Budget richmond/airport.... I love the Raddison Vancouver airport where the subway station is across the street... 20 minute ride downtown
Basically, Vancouver has a surplus of hotels to meet every budget. Check out expedia.

We are getting ready to book our first Alaska cruise for next June and I have been poking around trying to figure out what the best options for pre-stay hotels are. It looks like most folks are recommending the Pan Pacific, which looks gorgeous, if a bit pricy. When staying there how do you handle transport from the airport? Does the hotel have a shuttle or do you have to arrange transportation separately? The other option looks to be the Fairmont at the airport, which I assume means we could just use the DCL transfers to the port?

I've navigated cruise logistics at PC and in Long Beach, but this will be our first out of Vancouver so I am trying to figure out what will be the easiest to manage with luggage and two little kids!

We stayed at the Pan Pacific, arrived two days before the cruise, and took a cab from the airport (actually two - we were a party of six). It was super easy and not expensive at all.

We, too, stayed at the Pan Pacific. It's still one of my favorite places we've stayed. Loved waking up and seeing seaplanes taking off and landing....gorgeous views. We took the rail system from the airport to downtown Vancouver. With three kids ages, 2, 6, and 13 we were a bit worried but it was SUPER easy and inexpensive! My DS-2 loved riding the train and there were no transfers....just stay on till the last stop I believe. While I loved leaving our luggage in the room and having them take it down to the terminal, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. If I could get a better price at the Fairmont across the street I do it but otherwise I'd simply stay at the Pan Pacific....plus if you come in early it has a free bus shuttle that will take you to Grouse Mountain (which my kids LOVED) or to the suspension bridge.....

To clarify....
  • it's $35 a car load in a cab to get from airport to cruise terminal/Pan Pacific.
  • it's $9 per adult from the airport ($4 on return). $7.75 ($2.75 on return) for kids.
When you reach a certain number of passengers.... the transit savings don't justify the luggage inconvenience compared to a cab carload door to door service.

@xlxo - What is the best way to get to Granville Island from Canada Place (our hotel is on West Hastings) on a Friday (6/19) afternoon? We are relying on public transportation. Thanks again for all of your information. I feel so much better about our time in Vancouver due to your input.

We stayed at a Best Western about a mile from Canada Place. There's a White Spot right inside of it. That place has great food. Plus, they had free shuttle to the port. It was also very convenient to the train to the airport (5 minute walk).

How many nights pre-cruise are you staying? We found a cool promo at the Westin (1 mile from Canada Place next to Stanley Park) where you pay rack rate for the first night and then your birth year for the next night or two. Since we're staying 3 nights, this was a great deal for us. The first night price was crazy high (over $400), but we're only paying $66 for the second and third nights (CAD), so it averages out to just over $200 per night.

I will add that Delta Vancouver Suites had a great rate out very early. We had initially booked there before switching over to the Westin. Great reviews on that hotel and it is relatively close to the port. When we booked, the Club level room was about $50 more per night, and it came with breakfast and hot horderves in the evening (could be dinner). For a family of 4, we felt it was a good deal. Good luck!

Jodie

@xlxo - What is the best way to get to Granville Island from Canada Place (our hotel is on West Hastings) on a Friday (6/19) afternoon? We are relying on public transportation. Thanks again for all of your information. I feel so much better about our time in Vancouver due to your input.
From Canada Place?

You can also just flat out walk onto Granville, since it isn't truly an island. Did it with my pack of (cheap) buddies on my bachelorette weekend up there lol. Little bit scary on the sidewalk on the bridge but possible. :)

To help those looking for the Westin deal, it's Westin Bayshore. Nice place. We liked Westin Grand, too, though I don't think they have the bday deal.

You can also just flat out walk onto Granville, since it isn't truly an island. Did it with my pack of (cheap) buddies on my bachelorette weekend up there lol. Little bit scary on the sidewalk on the bridge but possible. :)

To help those looking for the Westin deal, it's Westin Bayshore. Nice place. We liked Westin Grand, too, though I don't think they have the bday deal.

How long do you think it would take to walk to Granville from the Westin Bayshore? We like walking, but a walk/boatride might be nice too.

Jodie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter