**** Vancouver FAQ Thread **** A few updates in main post!

Remember that you are crossing an international border. Don't pack any snacks that you would feel guilty about throwing in the garbage at the border. Most packaged snacks (like potato chips) are fine if they are unopened. But meats and dairy products can't cross either direction (exceptions are few, usually related to fish and game caught by anglers and hunters - lots of legal fine print). You can't legally bring any fruits and vegetables into the US. Some fruits can't come into Canada, usually the ones grown in Canada like cherries, peaches, blueberries, apples, grapes, etc.
The Canadian and US government web sites have lots if information about what you can and cannot take into each country. You can do some research. Or just eat everything before the border. :)

Good advice.

sorceressk said:
What is your favorite restaurant in Vancouver? We have limited time in town and want to make the best of it before the cruise :)
Carderro's is on the waterfront, and is usually quite good. It's slightly overpriced and leans from restaurant towards lounge atmosphere on weekend evenings after 8 pm. http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos

All of The Boathouse restaurants is a local chain that serves great food. The location in Horseshoe Bay has the best scenery, but you need a car (or a lot of cab fare) to get there. http://boathouserestaurants.ca/

I also love Vancouver's Chinese restaurants, many of which actually serve real Chinese cuisine, not deep-fried-and-covered-in-sweet-sauce excuses for Chinese food found elsewhere in North America. My favorite appears to be closed now - it was a Coquitlam location of the Kirin fine dining chain. Their other restaurants remain open and are likely good quality. http://www.kirinrestaurants.com/

Other dining experiences that are not fine dining, but are unique and worth checking out are:

Japa Dog - Japanese style hot dogs. Don't knock it until you've tried it. http://www.japadog.com/

Fish and chips: My favorite was Mr. Pickwick's on Denman street (not far from Stanley Park), but C-Lovers and Pajo's are all good too. The busier the location, the more fresh your fish will be.

Sushi: You can't walk two blocks in Vancouver without passing several sushi restaurants. They often serve a mix of traditional Japanese-style sushi, California-style sushi, and the occasional "what were they thinking?!?!" creations (like bacon avocado rolls). A local specialty is the BC roll: cooked salmon (with the crispy skin). Delicious. A few all-you-can eat restaurants are dotted around the city, plus some table-service restaurants, and a huge number of counter service restaurants.

Carderro's is on the waterfront, and is usually quite good. It's slightly overpriced and leans from restaurant towards lounge atmosphere on weekend evenings after 8 pm. http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos All of The Boathouse restaurants is a local chain that serves great food. The location in Horseshoe Bay has the best scenery, but you need a car (or a lot of cab fare) to get there. http://boathouserestaurants.ca/ I also love Vancouver's Chinese restaurants, many of which actually serve real Chinese cuisine, not deep-fried-and-covered-in-sweet-sauce excuses for Chinese food found elsewhere in North America. My favorite appears to be closed now - it was a Coquitlam location of the Kirin fine dining chain. Their other restaurants remain open and are likely good quality. http://www.kirinrestaurants.com/ Other dining experiences that are not fine dining, but are unique and worth checking out are: Japa Dog - Japanese style hot dogs. Don't knock it until you've tried it. http://www.japadog.com/ Fish and chips: My favorite was Mr. Pickwick's on Denman street (not far from Stanley Park), but C-Lovers and Pajo's are all good too. The busier the location, the more fresh your fish will be. Sushi: You can't walk two blocks in Vancouver without passing several sushi restaurants. They often serve a mix of traditional Japanese-style sushi, California-style sushi, and the occasional "what were they thinking?!?!" creations (like bacon avocado rolls). A local specialty is the BC roll: cooked salmon (with the crispy skin). Delicious. A few all-you-can eat restaurants are dotted around the city, plus some table-service restaurants, and a huge number of counter service restaurants.

How about a great Dim sum?

Thanks for the dining tips in Vancouver! :thumbsup2
After our cruise we stay three nights in Vancouver and we will try some of your tips :goodvibes

twentytoez said:
How about a great Dim sum?
Kirin serves great dim sum. The web site didn't indicate the hours, but it is usually weekend mornings (like brunch). Call to confirm.

We will be driving to Vancouver from Oregon (roughly 6 hours) so probably not arriving to our hotel until about 1:30 - 2 (Pan Pacific). Based on check-in, potty breaks, lunch, etc., I'm thinking we can do Grouse OR Cap Bridge but not both. We arrive on Sunday and thus won't have any other time. Which would you suggest? I have 3 kids (10, 6, 6).

My plan is to fly into Seattle on Saturday and spend a few hours exploring as I've never been there. Then Sunday morning my son and I will take Amtrack into Vancouver where we will explore there and stay at the Pan Pacific that night. After the cruise I'm taking the train again back to Seattle and it leaves at 5pm or so, so that gives me a little more time in Vancouver before leaving. We're staying at an airport hotel and leaving from Seattle the next morning.

I had a companion pass for Delta and got both plane tickets for $300 total (couldn't use the pass to fly into Vancouver) and since it was looking like $400-$500 each to fly into Vancouver it's still cheaper to do it this way even with the Seattle hotels and the train cost. I know it adds a couple days to the trip but I think my 3 year old and I will enjoy the train.

Our trip ended up expanding into almost two weeks because of the extra stays too :) We are flying into Vancouver and staying at the Pan Pacific for 2 nights pre-cruise. Then after the cruise, we are taking quick shuttle to Seattle and then staying there for two nights (none of us have been to Seattle before). Then we are spending another two days (one night) taking the Amtrak Coast Starlight back down to LA. We love the train so hopefully that will help cure the post-cruise blues just a bit.

I'm booking them for mid-May for a cruise, so I know what you mean, but I called them and they said their summer schedule will open up at the end of the month.

Thanks for posting that. I have been waiting for them also. I have everything booked; pre and post cruise hotels, cruise, train, plane, excursions, etc. That is all that I have left to book.

Then we are spending another two days (one night) taking the Amtrak Coast Starlight back down to LA. We love the train so hopefully that will help cure the post-cruise blues just a bit.

Just remember to not schedule anything vital for immediately after the train is slated to get in. The further Amtrak goes on an itinerary the longer the delays get.

LLOC33 said:
We will be driving to Vancouver from Oregon (roughly 6 hours) so probably not arriving to our hotel until about 1:30 - 2 (Pan Pacific). Based on check-in, potty breaks, lunch, etc., I'm thinking we can do Grouse OR Cap Bridge but not both. We arrive on Sunday and thus won't have any other time. Which would you suggest? I have 3 kids (10, 6, 6).

Grouse Mountain is more "in your face", with a unique ride up the mountain, a scheduled lumberjack show, great views if the harbour and entire city, plus a very natural bear enclosure. It's a bit faster paced.

Capillano Suspension Bridge includes the bridge / gorge, which let's you look about a half-mile up and down the gorge, plus numerous "walk and read a sign" experiences (both at ground level and 30 feet up in the trees) and the occasional live interactive exhibit, such as a totem pole carver or an expert with some rescued animals. I would compare it to exploring the trails at Animal Kingdom combined with Redwood Forest Trail at DCA - a place to explore at your own pace.

I don't know your family, but after six hours in a car, do you think they want a more active and scheduled experience? Would they be impressed by seeing the harbour from the top of the mountain (maybe they see this in Portland)? If so, go to Grouse Mountain. If they look rebellious and don't want to be told what to do, send them to Capillano Suspension Bridge.

When I lived in Vancouver, I did both on a semi-regular basis, although only with much younger kids than yours.

What's the cheapest way for a family of 4 to get from the port to the airport?

YVR or Sea-Tac?

For YVR, it's probably the SkyTrain, but you need to be a pretty hardy crew with very little luggage. My (larger) family had good luck with http://www.ridebooker.com/ for transportation from Richmond to the port, but somebody may have a recommendation for a less expensive option. They did a good job with the 5 of us, a bunch of luggage and a collapsible mobility scooter, and the price seemed fair.

For Sea-Tac, it's the QuickShuttle--they'll take you directly from the port to Sea-Tac. They have a restroom, but they do not have food or drink available, so you'll want to bring water and packaged, safe-to-cross-the-border snacks with you from the ship, or from the Canada Place vending machines (remember, the vending machines only take Canadian money in Canada Place.) They won't have their schedule available until the end of the month, however (but they're not hard to book) http://www.quickcoach.com/

Thank you! I should have been more specific, it's YVR. And I'm asking for a friend, so I suspect they'll be hauling a lot of baggage. What about the Disney transfers? Rip off?

Thank you! I should have been more specific, it's YVR. And I'm asking for a friend, so I suspect they'll be hauling a lot of baggage. What about the Disney transfers? Rip off?

We are looking into taking a van from YVR to Canada Place. You can get them right at the curb outside the airport. It is about $66 for 6 people. We are not flying in the day of the cruise.

DCL transportation only works the morning of the cruise. I don't know what the rate is from YVR to Canada Place.

Just remember to not schedule anything vital for immediately after the train is slated to get in. The further Amtrak goes on an itinerary the longer the delays get.

That is why we are flying to Vancouver and taking the train home :thumbsup2 I didn't want to book the train pre-cruise (even though that is a better direction - view wise) because I would be stressed if it runs too late.

We won't have a time worry on the way back so it can take as long as it wants. We booked a bedroom suite for the 4 of us so we should have a pretty comfortable ride. (I think I'm more excited than my train-loving DS on that part) :rotfl2:

Now to just keep my fingers crossed that the Pacific Parlour car is there. We have been lucky and had it on all of our LA-San Jose trips.

I imagine it would be a pretty good deal for smaller groups, but the 5 of us did better booking on our own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter