**** Vancouver FAQ Thread **** A few updates in main post!

Grouse mountain- open table- did you book at home? Or once you were in Vancouver using a electronic device? If I am understanding you correctly you only booked dinner and then the rest when you got there?

Fly over Canada- do you remember how long the ride lasted? Our port check in time is 11:00. Just trying to figure out what time to try and buy. Did they really go by the ticket time or are you still waiting some?

Just 13 days- I think I will burst with excitement til then.

I made a dinner reservation online at home before we left on our trip. That said, our flight into Vancouver was delayed and I called to change the reservation once we got to our hotel...and they still had reservations for 2 for the following day. Since your trip is less than two weeks away, you should be able to make the dinner reservation now with no problem, and know that you can change it if you need to.

I'd say the whole ride experience lasted about a half-hour. Our boarding time at the port was 11:30, and we definitely had time to putz around the waiting area before we were allowed to board. (I think we showed up somewhere around 10 or 10:30, went through customs, and wound up with boarding number 5 or 6.) I debated on a time, too, and just went with 9:00 because we embarked an Canada Day and I knew the crowds would be nuts. We wound up waiting until about 9:30 to get on the ride because they waited for a bit of a crowd to show up - we were the first ones there when it opened! ;)

If you choose the "priority boarding" ticket, you are given a one-hour window during which you will be let into the ride. So, for example, our tickets said 9-10 AM...meaning we would be let in by 10. Keep in mind that if you choose a time later in the day, say, 3-4 PM (know you won't do this, but it just makes for a good example) and then show up at 3, you may not be let in until 4, depending on the crowds.

Don't overthink it too much - just go for the earliest time that makes sense for your family. We were able to drop off our bags right away when we got to the port and had a bit of a wait to board, but I preferred that to rushing around through the Canada Day crowds. Keep in mind as well that FlyOver Canada was by far the least exciting thing we did in Vancouver (it was cool, but it really was just like Soarin'), and that if you show up at the port later than your specified board time you will be assigned the next boarding number and be able to get on right away. You'll be fine :)

...From there we stopped at Spokes (on the corner of Denman St. - you can't miss it!) and rented two bikes. We spent the next two hours biking the entire perimeter of Stanley Park, which took about two hours. The scenery was stunning and this was truly my favorite experience anywhere in Vancouver. Would HIGHLY recommend doing this! For those with small children, tandem bikes and bikes with infant seats were available. The biking was very flat all the way around and many children were biking with their families all day long.

Absolutely second this!

I made a dinner reservation online at home before we left on our trip. That said, our flight into Vancouver was delayed and I called to change the reservation once we got to our hotel...and they still had reservations for 2 for the following day. Since your trip is less than two weeks away, you should be able to make the dinner reservation now with no problem, and know that you can change it if you need to.

I'd say the whole ride experience lasted about a half-hour. Our boarding time at the port was 11:30, and we definitely had time to putz around the waiting area before we were allowed to board. (I think we showed up somewhere around 10 or 10:30, went through customs, and wound up with boarding number 5 or 6.) I debated on a time, too, and just went with 9:00 because we embarked an Canada Day and I knew the crowds would be nuts. We wound up waiting until about 9:30 to get on the ride because they waited for a bit of a crowd to show up - we were the first ones there when it opened! ;)

If you choose the "priority boarding" ticket, you are given a one-hour window during which you will be let into the ride. So, for example, our tickets said 9-10 AM...meaning we would be let in by 10. Keep in mind that if you choose a time later in the day, say, 3-4 PM (know you won't do this, but it just makes for a good example) and then show up at 3, you may not be let in until 4, depending on the crowds.

Don't overthink it too much - just go for the earliest time that makes sense for your family. We were able to drop off our bags right away when we got to the port and had a bit of a wait to board, but I preferred that to rushing around through the Canada Day crowds. Keep in mind as well that FlyOver Canada was by far the least exciting thing we did in Vancouver (it was cool, but it really was just like Soarin'), and that if you show up at the port later than your specified board time you will be assigned the next boarding number and be able to get on right away. You'll be fine :)

Thanks I will check with DH. I can actually pass on fly over Canada. I wasn't a fan of soaring. But I would tough it out for him, if he wants.
I will book the dinner from home
Thanks again

We were just up in Vancouver over the 4th for fun, and it just reminded me how CLOSE things are.

Pan Pacific and the two Fairmonts are one camera pan away from each other. Just turn in a semi-circle and there they all are. We stayed at Sutton Place and were reminded of what a great hotel it is, and again, how close it is to everything. Sheraton Wall Centre and Century-Plaza are just up the street. Things look distant on a map, but it's all so very walkable. While I wouldn't want to walk my stuff to the ship, a close walk = inexpensive taxi ride.

I don't know how long it will be there, but there's an interesting War of 1812 exhibit going on at Canada Place. Always neat to see things from the perspective of the *other* country.

We have priority boarding flyover Canada at 10-11. We are planning on being there right at 10 when it opens and not having luggage. If we are there early to stand in line, do you think we can make our 11:00 am pat?

We have priority boarding flyover Canada at 10-11. We are planning on being there right at 10 when it opens and not having luggage. If we are there early to stand in line, do you think we can make our 11:00 am pat?

I would say almost definitely. And again, if you for some reason wind up being a few minutes late, you'll probably be given the very next board number called after that point and will be able to board as soon as you arrive at the port and go through customs.

I'm curious what everyone has done for transportation to your hotel from the airport. It will be me and my 3 kids and we are flying in 4 days early. If I don't arrange any transportation ahead of time, are cabs easily accessible at the air port? And are there shuttle taxis? I need enough room for us and luggage. Hopefully not having a car seat won't be a problem for my 5 year old. How much should I expect a taxi to be from the airport to the Pan Pacific?

I know about the Skytrain option but I don't want to have to worry about whether or not my kids are going to be able to help with pulling the luggage.

I'm curious what everyone has done for transportation to your hotel from the airport. It will be me and my 3 kids and we are flying in 4 days early. If I don't arrange any transportation ahead of time, are cabs easily accessible at the air port? And are there shuttle taxis? I need enough room for us and luggage. Hopefully not having a car seat won't be a problem for my 5 year old. How much should I expect a taxi to be from the airport to the Pan Pacific?

I know about the Skytrain option but I don't want to have to worry about whether or not my kids are going to be able to help with pulling the luggage.

We had no kids with us, but we were easily able to cab it from the airport to our hotel (the Westin Grand). I would guesstimate about $30-40 for the cab ride - and yes, they will take American cash or your credit card for the most part (just check before you get in). If you have kids/lots of luggage, make sure you grab a cab that's a van rather than a standard Prius. There were also towncars waiting at the Vancouver airport, if you'd rather a comfier ride. They cost somewhere near $50 each. There was a VERY long line of ground transportation just waiting to get people where they wanted to go at the airport...I wouldn't worry!

I would say almost definitely. And again, if you for some reason wind up being a few minutes late, you'll probably be given the very next board number called after that point and will be able to board as soon as you arrive at the port and go through customs.

Thank you!!!

Emailed Grouse Mountain tonight regarding discounts. They offer a 10% discount for AAA and BCAA. You need to show proof of membership at guest services.

We are interested in the Alaskan cruise for next summer but have some questions. It would be cheaper for us to fly into Seattle rather than Vancouver. I read the first few posts in the thread on getting from Seattle to Vancouver but this information was from several years ago. I also read through the last few pages but didn't see any info that applied.

Can you tell me what our options are for transportation? We are a family of five. Is it easier to take Amtrak or to rent a car? What is better for crossing the border? Which would be cheaper?

Also, we have never been across the border to Canada. What do we need to know/do to make this as easy as possible?

Thanks so much!

We returned from the July 1 Alaskan cruise this week, and I wanted to share a bit of what we did in Vancouver, since we had a very enjoyable time in the city both before and after our cruise.

Hotels: We stayed at the Westin Grand before our cruise (booked through Priceline for $146/night). This really was a great hotel for the price. We had a one-bedroom suite with a kitchenette and a fold-out sofa that was more than adequate for the two of us and would have been a great arrangement for a family of up to four. The hotel had a very nice outdoor (!!) pool on the 3rd floor in a well-appointed patio area (they have live music and appetizers out there a couple of times a week - very swanky!). The concierge at the hotel was a humongous help, as well. Overall, a terrific experience and we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. The hotel is located right on Robson Street (only a few blocks away from the famous downtown shipping district) and is right nextdoor to the Vancouver Public library, which is a pretty well-known landmark downtown.

After our cruise, we stayed for one night at the Sheraton Wall Centre, which we booked on Hotwire for only $97/night. Admittedly, we liked the amenities at the Westin a bit more, but the view from the Sheraton was quite nice and it definitely was nice for the price. Finding the pool here after a long day of walking was quite a chore, though.

Seawall and Stanley Park: It was about a ten-block walk from the Westin Grand out to the seawall - very reasonable. We started out near the floatplane dock and strolled all the way down to Stanley Park, which took us less than an hour. From there we stopped at Spokes (on the corner of Denman St. - you can't miss it!) and rented two bikes. We spent the next two hours biking the entire perimeter of Stanley Park, which took about two hours. The scenery was stunning and this was truly my favorite experience anywhere in Vancouver. Would HIGHLY recommend doing this! For those with small children, tandem bikes and bikes with infant seats were available. The biking was very flat all the way around and many children were biking with their families all day long.

Gastown: Worth a stroll around. Be aware - although this is a touristy area, the homeless are very prevalent here, and if you wander too far east you will stray out of Gastown basically onto skid row. The steam clock is worth stopping at around the top of the hour to see and hear, and there are lots of great restaurants around aside from the Old Spaghetti Factory. We ate at The Flying Pig, which was absolutely delicious and not too expensive. They had some great local brews on tap, and the short ribs I ate were to die for! It was a terrific first dinner in the city, and was recommended to us by the concierge at the hotel.

Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain: Well worth the cost. It is very easy to see these both in the same day, as they are geographically close. There is a free shuttle to Capilano that runs from a number of spots downtown (Canada Place, a hotel on Robson St., to name two) and will get you there in less than a 1/2 hour. The drive is quite pretty and takes you up over the Lions Gate Bridge. There is a similar free shuttle to Grouse Mountain which runs only from Canada Place. Take yoru pick as to which you visit first. To get from Capilano to Grouse, the #236 bus will cost you only a dollar or two and will take you between the two directly. Additionally, the Grouse Shuttle will sometimes drop you off at Capilano on the way back to downtown, if things aren't too busy.

We got an early start up to Capilano and actually wound up way ahead of schedule for the day, so we decided to take the free shuttle back downtown, stroll Robson St., eat lunch at Japadog, and then walk to Canada Place and shuttle up to Grouse again for free. This wound up being a bit of extra walking, but it helped eat up the day.

At Grouse Mountain, you can waive the (pretty expensive) fee to ride the skyride to the top in two ways: 1) You can endure the Grouse Grind (a pretty challenging hike up the mountain that will take about 1 1/2-2 hours), or you can agree to eat an entree at the Observatory Restaurant at the top of the mountain. We went for the latter, which wound up being a nice value. We arrived about three hours before our scheduled 5:30 dinner and saw most everything there was to see up at Grouse (the bird show, the Lumberjack show, the Grizzly bears). Dinner was typical upscale "touristy" fare, but the food was good and the fact that we had somewhat spendy dinners planned for vacation anyway made it a good value, since we didn't have to pay to get up the mountain.

The Grouse shuttle stops running at 5:30, so return trip home involved a very easy ride on the 236 bus and a trip on the Seabus from Lonsdale Quay back downtown. The trip sounds complicated at first, but is in fact very easy. A very worthwhile day!

Granville Island: Would highly recommend walking here if you can over the Burrard Bridge - beautiful views! Otherwise, you can easily walk in general to the False Creek area and hop a small Aquabus (they are so cute!), which will take you all around this part of town and drop you off right at the public market.

The food at the market is plentiful, and it reminded me a lot of Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia. There are no bad options for food here - just eat whatever looks good to you at the time! I would definitely recommend grabbing a pastry form one of the bakeries and/or some fresh fruit for dessert...everything is absolutely mouth-watering. If you have small children, they can wear bathing suits under their clothes and wander over to the park and water play area on the Island if the weather is good!

As adults, we also stopped in at the Granville Island Brewery for a tasting. The beer wasn't particularly special, but it was tasty! Worth the $6 for three samples, for sure.

If we had more time, we would have loved to stop at Kitsilano Beach for a bit or visit the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Garden in Chinatown. Maybe nextime ;)

Thanks for the tips - all look excellent and most of it is on our list for September.

Just curious, will you be writing a TR?!

We are interested in the Alaskan cruise for next summer but have some questions. It would be cheaper for us to fly into Seattle rather than Vancouver. I read the first few posts in the thread on getting from Seattle to Vancouver but this information was from several years ago. I also read through the last few pages but didn't see any info that applied.

Can you tell me what our options are for transportation? We are a family of five. Is it easier to take Amtrak or to rent a car? What is better for crossing the border? Which would be cheaper?

Also, we have never been across the border to Canada. What do we need to know/do to make this as easy as possible?

Thanks so much!

This is what we did too...saved a lot flying into SEA. Actually, what we did was fly into SEA, spent a full day there, then drove up to Whistler, BC, did an overnight, then spent the night before the cruise near the Vancouver airport (YVR). In our case, it was less expensive to keep the car and pay for parking at YVR (surprisingly cheap there...I think it was about $50 for the week) than to do two one way rentals (SEA to YVR, then YVR to SEA). To get between Canada Place and YVR, we used the SkyTrain, which was kinda fun. We also had some Vancouver time the afternoon before the cruise and biked around Stanley Park.

Anyway, there are tons of options besides that. What we did was a little unusual, but it worked fine for us. I did look into Amtrak and the only drawback for us was the times of the trains (I think getting into Vancouver late at night, etc.). That was two years ago, so I imagine the times may be different now. (Also, the Seattle train station was a mess with construction...I imagine that should be done now too).

Driving, we had no issues with the border either direction. Leaving Seattle in the morning, we only had a car in front of us going into Canada. Coming back, it was close to an hour wait to get back into the US at the Peace Arch. I understand there is a truck customs that you can use that is quicker on the return, but we wanted to make a stop at the Peace Arch anyway. As long as you have your documentation (passports for everyone), there shouldn't be any issue.

My main piece of advice would be, that if you do drive, do not drive from Seattle to Vancouver the morning of the cruise. While I had no problems getting across the border into Canada, you shouldn't assume that. Get yourself somewhere in the Vancouver area the night before.

Thanks so much!

When we looked at renting a car it was VERY expensive to do the one way thing because it's getting rented in one country and left in another. As PP mentioned it's typically cheaper to rent the car for the entire week and pay for the parking. Just my experience I guess.

I have a quick question.. how much is gas in vancouver bc.. should I fill up in washington? Is the gas the same as u.s.
Thanks

I have a quick question.. how much is gas in vancouver bc.. should I fill up in washington? Is the gas the same as u.s.
Thanks

When I was there two years ago, gas was significantly more in Vancouver. I'd fill up in Washington.

Thanks for the info on flying into Seattle. Does anyone have current information on the bus transportation from Seattle to Vancouver that is mentioned on the first page of this thread? Is this a decent option or is it better/easier to drive?

Thanks for the tips - all look excellent and most of it is on our list for September.

Just curious, will you be writing a TR?!

I probably could write a trip report...but I'm way too lazy ;) (And by lazy, I mean, taking some continuing ed. classes for teaching from 8-5 for the next two weeks..., so not really lazy at all! ;)

That said, I spent a whole afternoon sifting through photos and uploading them to Facebook for friends/family, and I'd be more than happy to share my album with you, answer questions, talk a bit some evening if you'd like. Just send me a PM and let me know if you'd like the link to my album! (Not to stir the DIS/Facebook pot that came up in a thread over the weekend, but I do also like that my photos are more secure there, as well... :/)

Happy to help in any way I can, and thanks for the kind words!

I did also completely forget to mention that we did Fly Over Canada on the morning of our cruise! We bought tickets for that ahead of time to save a few bucks, and while it was almost exactly like Soarin' Over California, it was a worthwhile way to kill some time until we were able to embark.
So awesome to read your trip report after having read about your planning, and I am so happy you enjoyed your visit to our fair city! :) It's too funny that you were not that overwhelmed by flyin over Canada because it is exactly like Soarin with different scenery....we poor Disney deprived Canadians are soooooo thrilled with it because it is exactly the same! :cool1: We always end up riding Soarin several times when we are down south as it is one of our favourite attractions.
We decided to stay home this summer and do the touristy things here we have not done in years and reading about it through a strangers eyes really is fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter