**** Vancouver FAQ Thread **** A few updates in main post!

Tip for visiting the Aquarium. Buy your tickets ahead of time online to avoid the line. We waited about 20 minutes yesterday (Saturday) in line to buy entrance tickets. The prepaids just walked right up. The line was just as long when we came out. The aquarium is fantastic!

It is the same way at the New Orleans Aquarium, so when we decided to visit the Vancouver Aquarium after seeing your post, I bought tickets online! Thanks for the tip. We are so excited that we only have 14 more days until we are in Vancouver.

Hi-

We will be staying at the Marriott Pinnacle pre cruise. I was wondering if anyone knows if that was walkable to the port? There are 6 of us and didn't know what would be our best option to get to the port.

Thanks.

Hey Judy!!!
.....it's a couple of blocks. That is where we are staying but we are the week before you... :-(
We are just going to take a taxi...easier then dragging it all! But with 6 of you that would be hard.
Call the hotel and ask.
Hope you are all doing well...
Maybe we will see you when we get off the ship and you are getting on!!!
denise

I just found a really good Hotwire rate for a 5 star in Vancouver...booked it and it turned out to be the Sutton Place. Any reviews? I was hoping for the Pan Pacific, but alas, it was not to be.
Meg

While the Pan is obviously closer to the port, the Sutton Place is a beautiful hotel. I spent my wedding night there in 2008 and they were wonderful to us.

Enjoy!

Hey Judy!!!
.....it's a couple of blocks. That is where we are staying but we are the week before you... :-(
We are just going to take a taxi...easier then dragging it all! But with 6 of you that would be hard.
Call the hotel and ask.
Hope you are all doing well...
Maybe we will see you when we get off the ship and you are getting on!!!
denise

Hi Denise-

I would love any tips you may have. I still trying to figure out what all to pack since we get cold so easily being from Florida.
If there weren't so many of us we would do the taxi. It's hard to determine how big those blocks are. Thought Ray and I would go with one child the first leg with some luggage and my mom could stay with the other 2. I would stay at the port to start the check in process. We're renting a van for 2 night post stay. Gotta love those Mariott points, but Ray loses his Gold status June 30th. He is going to be short by 7 nights!!
Tell the family hi.

fivepin. Try google maps.
I think it is walking distance - but depends on how much luggage. I would have the belldask call you a minivan cab. Easy-peasy

It's very close
I've linked it for you here

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=1...IdQm-p-CGexbvBydAbUQ&mra=pd&dirflg=w&t=h&z=17

We're actually staying there also and probably walking

Thanks-sometimes it's just so deceiving looking at those maps. I remembering on the Baltic trip last year, I thought something was within walking distance and it was quite a hike. :) I think we're going to try the walk. We are planning on taking 2 large wheeled suitcases and 3 carryons with wheels and our 3 boys will just have their backpacks. Thinking the older 2 could pull the carryons.

Hi-

We will be staying at the Marriott Pinnacle pre cruise. I was wondering if anyone knows if that was walkable to the port? There are 6 of us and didn't know what would be our best option to get to the port.

Thanks.

We are in Vancouver right now, boarding the Wonder this morning. I think my sister is at the Marriott Pinnacle. The hotel is definitely within walking distance of the port, but it might be difficult with luggage. I do know that the cabs here will only allow a maximum of 4 people in a cab. You could always send your luggage and a few people over in a cab, while the rest of your party walks. We arrived on the Amtrak yesterday, and rather than getting 2 cabs for our party of 6, my husband took 3 kids and all the luggage in a cab while my daughter and I took the Skytrain to our hotel.

We are in Vancouver right now, boarding the Wonder this morning. I think my sister is at the Marriott Pinnacle. The hotel is definitely within walking distance of the port, but it might be difficult with luggage. I do know that the cabs here will only allow a maximum of 4 people in a cab. You could always send your luggage and a few people over in a cab, while the rest of your party walks. We arrived on the Amtrak yesterday, and rather than getting 2 cabs for our party of 6, my husband took 3 kids and all the luggage in a cab while my daughter and I took the Skytrain to our hotel.

How was the train ride? We are doing that in August. Are there no mini-van cabs in Vancouver?

How fun, have an awesome cruise.....Bring back info We go on ours in 5 weeks!

How was the train ride? We are doing that in August. Are there no mini-van cabs in Vancouver?

The train was great! Of course, we lucked out with our seat assignments. We were one of the first groups in line for seat assignments and the man giving out the assignments gave our party of 7 (my sister was with us) the only 2 tables for four in the whole car. So we had a table on either side of the train, which was great with the kids. There was free wi-fi on the train and outlets along the floor. (I didn't check to see if all the seats had outlets or if they were just by the tables.) Since we had tables and a water view, we never felt the need to go to the lounge car.

My husband and kids did take a minivan taxi, but he said the back seat was removed for luggage so there was only seating for 4 people.

Thank you-I may do what you did from the airport as well. I still need to find out the how long the skytrain runs. We get in late night.
Have a great time!! Thank you for taking the time to post.

Hi Denise-

I would love any tips you may have. I still trying to figure out what all to pack since we get cold so easily being from Florida.
If there weren't so many of us we would do the taxi. It's hard to determine how big those blocks are. Thought Ray and I would go with one child the first leg with some luggage and my mom could stay with the other 2. I would stay at the port to start the check in process. We're renting a van for 2 night post stay. Gotta love those Mariott points, but Ray loses his Gold status June 30th. He is going to be short by 7 nights!!
Tell the family hi.

I just called the hotel, we are at the Renaissance not the Pinnacle, they said it is a flat 5 minute walk to Canada Place. (the hotels are next door to each other)

I also asked about the Canada Line (skytrain) She said it's about a 6 minute walk from the waterfront station on flat streets. She said Waterfront is the best exit station.

Maybe he can call and beg :worship: to stay gold? He can explain that in July he will be adding 3 nights right off. Never know, he might get a nice person. :confused3

If you are renting a car, what company? We had a parking problem when we got off from the repo cruise. If your rental company is off property let me know so you will not have the same problem.

Where are you staying post cruise? We stayed at Marriott in Richmond closer to the airport. We are going to stay there again post cruise. The Avis rental is right next door and the hotel has a free shuttle to the airport, it was perfect. The people are so nice there. Mall across the street. It is very easy to drive around in Vancouver. We did it without a map and did just fine!

The boys would love the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Very easy to drive to and lots of fun. We never got to do Grouse Mountain, which is just up the same street, because it was raining and snowing on top and there was zero visibility. Eleni and I were going to do the zipline. We really wanted to see things and not feel like we were in Jurassic Park. Maybe this time, but we are only staying one night this time. Stanley Park is fun to drive around too. Tell me what you think your plans are...we might have done it.

We board in just 2 weeks now....really have no clue what to pack. I guess lots of layers? On the repo cruise we had sweatshirts and a windbreaker only and were fine. It was cold coming into SF, about 45 I think, but so nice when we got off the ship. I even got a sunburn in SF! In Vancouver we wore only a sweatshirt at times. It really wasn't that bad.
We are going to be HOT here today...103!!! Just a couple weeks ago it was rain/thunder/hail this is so weird.

How's Ray's camera? Tell him to bring lots of memory cards!
talk to you soon,
denise

I have a weather question. I know there are water areas in Stanly Park and Granville Island but is it actually WARM enough to do it now? I see temps will be in the low 60's for the day we are there next week and am assuming they'll be the same for the 3 post cruise days we're there the following week. What are people wearing in Vancouver right now? (seeing if we should pack any different for here than Alaska) :confused3 THANKS

Friday Jun 24 15C
SaturdayJun 25 15C
SundayJun 26 18C
MondayJun 27 20C
TuesdayJun 28 18C
WednesdayJun 29 17C

POP 50-80% for these 6 days.
Yesterday they were at the beach wearing shorts and bathing suits.
Looks like a bit of unseasonably cool weather coming up.

It can really be hit and miss so bring a bit of both.

Friday Jun 24 15C
SaturdayJun 25 15C
SundayJun 26 18C
MondayJun 27 20C
TuesdayJun 28 18C
WednesdayJun 29 17C

POP 50-80% for these 6 days.
Yesterday they were at the beach wearing shorts and bathing suits.
Looks like a bit of unseasonably cool weather coming up.

It can really be hit and miss so bring a bit of both.
thanks.:thumbsup2
Guess that takes me back to where I started from :confused3
LOL... I packed a few warmer weather choices...

I just called the hotel, we are at the Renaissance not the Pinnacle, they said it is a flat 5 minute walk to Canada Place. (the hotels are next door to each other)

I also asked about the Canada Line (skytrain) She said it's about a 6 minute walk from the waterfront station on flat streets. She said Waterfront is the best exit station.

Maybe he can call and beg :worship: to stay gold? He can explain that in July he will be adding 3 nights right off. Never know, he might get a nice person. :confused3

If you are renting a car, what company? We had a parking problem when we got off from the repo cruise. If your rental company is off property let me know so you will not have the same problem.

Where are you staying post cruise? We stayed at Marriott in Richmond closer to the airport. We are going to stay there again post cruise. The Avis rental is right next door and the hotel has a free shuttle to the airport, it was perfect. The people are so nice there. Mall across the street. It is very easy to drive around in Vancouver. We did it without a map and did just fine!

The boys would love the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Very easy to drive to and lots of fun. We never got to do Grouse Mountain, which is just up the same street, because it was raining and snowing on top and there was zero visibility. Eleni and I were going to do the zipline. We really wanted to see things and not feel like we were in Jurassic Park. Maybe this time, but we are only staying one night this time. Stanley Park is fun to drive around too. Tell me what you think your plans are...we might have done it.

We board in just 2 weeks now....really have no clue what to pack. I guess lots of layers? On the repo cruise we had sweatshirts and a windbreaker only and were fine. It was cold coming into SF, about 45 I think, but so nice when we got off the ship. I even got a sunburn in SF! In Vancouver we wore only a sweatshirt at times. It really wasn't that bad.
We are going to be HOT here today...103!!! Just a couple weeks ago it was rain/thunder/hail this is so weird.

How's Ray's camera? Tell him to bring lots of memory cards!
talk to you soon,
denise

Hi Denise-

I wish I would have noticed the airport Mariott-there are no rooms to book on points now. I would have done our last night there. Our flight is at 6:30am I just realized we can't get our car rental from the airport. I had it booked via Budget. I guess I didn't read the fine print for that location-only deplaning passengers that same day can pick up from the airport. There is a location in downtown Vancouver close to the hotel, but we can't return at the airport. It would have to be returned there and we still would need a taxi to airport. Nothing is ever easy. I spoke to conceriege at Pinnacle and there's a limo car service for $50 to the airport for the 6 of us. We just may rent the car for one day now and use the hoho the last day.

I would love to do the zipline. We were planning on Grouse Mountain and the suspension bridge the day with the rental car.

Ray has 2 8 gigs and one 16 gig card. He should be fine. He's also bringing his ipad if he needs it download.

On a side note-were you the one who posted about the Alaskan Starbucks that carries the city mugs? If so, which port was it again. I forgot to write it down. No Hard Rocks this time for us.

it wasn't me I will look thru my notes and let you know...(starbucks)
you will be surprised when you see how many there are in Vancouver. One corner we saw 3! They just needed to put one on the last corner to make it perfect!! hahaha
can't believe it's 12 days for us now!
Sucks about the car...the Hard Rock closed up there. :-(

from my notes:
Starbucks
Ketchikan: in the Safeway
Skagway: walking distance from the ship
Juneau: I found one by the airport but don't know how close it is to the dock

I could have this all wrong but will look for the post

We are from the US and will have a prestay in Canada. Will we need an adaptor to plug in our devices?

Nope :banana: We were there for the Repo cruise and just plugged everything in without any adapters!!! No problems....

A special "thank you" to Lollipop's Mom for all her wonderful advice! Back from the June 14th Alaska Cruise with a three day stay in Vancouver pre cruise and a one day stay post. We ate at White Spot and Veras Burgers (both recommended by her) and they were perfect for our family! We flew into Vancouver and easily took the SkyTrain to our hotel (Pan Pacific- also recommended by Lollipop's Mom and a perfect hotel for us). We never had to rent a car or take a taxi. We either walked or rode the Sky Train. We biked in Stanley Park (loved it so much we did it a second day)! Visited the Aquarium, took the kids to Science World, spent a lot of time in Gastown and China Town. It was an all-around beautiful, wonderful, perfect vacation. Lollipop's advice on this thread made our planning easy and decreased our stress significantly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter