**** Vancouver FAQ Thread **** A few updates in main post!

We were in Vancouver and I got sick and we tried to rent a car to return home. The issue is if you pick up in one country and drop off in another. We were told we would be charged an extra $200-$300 to drop off the car in Washington.

It would be cheaper to park at the port for the week and return the car in Seattle. Even with the parking fees, it is much cheaper than the extra airfare for 4 people to Vancouver vs. Seattle

One ways are expensive. We paid a large drop of fee picking up our car in Long Beach, CA airport and returning it at San Diego, CA airport and that was the same state :sad2:

I remember going to Vancouver for a vacation about 15 yrs ago, staying at the Pan Pacific. If you go, check out Gas Town and Robson St., great entertainment and restaurants.:thumbsup2

Brett

It would be cheaper to park at the port for the week and return the car in Seattle. Even with the parking fees, it is much cheaper than the extra airfare for 4 people to Vancouver vs. Seattle

One ways are expensive. We paid a large drop of fee picking up our car in Long Beach, CA airport and returning it at San Diego, CA airport and that was the same state :sad2:

I was just looking at these prices. We really like to have our own car but felt like it was such a waste paying for an entire week (+ parking) while we're on the cruise. We're planning to fly in a week pre-cruise and drive to Whistler and explore around Vancouver. Its actually cheaper to pay for 1 week picking up in Seattle and dropping in Vancouver than paying for a 2 week roundtrip Seattle with cruise parking. We may go that route - rent the car for a week and drop in Vancouver before the cruise. Then just take Amtrak back to Seattle post cruise . By the way, Amtrak was really really cheap - much cheaper than the shuttle bus. I'll have to give this one some thought. Not sure why I'm thinking about this when its almost 2 years away. We haven't even seen cruise pricing yet!!! That could blow our plan out of the water.

Jodie

I was just looking at these prices. We really like to have our own car but felt like it was such a waste paying for an entire week (+ parking) while we're on the cruise. We're planning to fly in a week pre-cruise and drive to Whistler and explore around Vancouver. Its actually cheaper to pay for 1 week picking up in Seattle and dropping in Vancouver than paying for a 2 week roundtrip Seattle with cruise parking. We may go that route - rent the car for a week and drop in Vancouver before the cruise. Then just take Amtrak back to Seattle post cruise . By the way, Amtrak was really really cheap - much cheaper than the shuttle bus. I'll have to give this one some thought. Not sure why I'm thinking about this when its almost 2 years away. We haven't even seen cruise pricing yet!!! That could blow our plan out of the water.

Jodie

Why not take Amtrak up to Vancouver and then rent a car from there for a week then turn it in before the cruise and then take Amtrak back to Seattle after the cruise? This is probably what we will do, if we fly into Seattle or Bellingham, rather than pay the drop fee.

Why not take Amtrak up to Vancouver and then rent a car from there for a week then turn it in before the cruise and then take Amtrak back to Seattle after the cruise? This is probably what we will do, if we fly into Seattle or Bellingham, rather than pay the drop fee.

I would do this. You are not missing much sightseeing wise. Less hassle - no border worries. It's not a fun drive through downtown Seattle from the airport headed north to Vancouver.

I would do this. You are not missing much sightseeing wise. Less hassle - no border worries. It's not a fun drive through downtown Seattle from the airport headed north to Vancouver.

And, I think the Amtrak ride allows you to see more. A lot of it runs along the water, and is very beautiful and relaxing!

Good idea! Would you just catch a cab from the Vancouver Amtrak station to the airport car rental? Reminds me of planes, trains, and automobiles . . .

Jodie

Good idea! Would you just catch a cab from the Vancouver Amtrak station to the airport car rental? Reminds me of planes, trains, and automobiles . . .

Jodie

The Skytrain runs from Canada Place, where the cruise terminal is, to the Amtrak station and to the airport.

Living in Bellingham, my plan would be to drive to the Vancouver airport and use long-term parking there, then take the Skytrain to Canada Place to board. That is - IF I do an Alaska cruise.

To be honest, the more I think about it the more I want to do the northbound repo. The first time any Disney ship visits San Fran, Victoria, and Vancouver is bound to be a very special experience!

I should also add - for people who are considering flying into Bellingham and taking Amtrak - the airport is about 10 miles / 20 minutes from the Amtrak station. I don't know how much taxis are in town, but it will cost a bit of money. Yellow Cab of Bellingham has a website, sedans, and 10 to 14 passenger vans to haul your group and all your stuff. There is a shuttle service between downtown Vancouver and the Seattle airport with a stop at the Bellingham airport; I would suggest contacting Quick Shuttle for more information.

The Skytrain runs from Canada Place, where the cruise terminal is, to the Amtrak station and to the airport.

I should also add - for people who are considering flying into Bellingham and taking Amtrak - the airport is about 10 miles / 20 minutes from the Amtrak station. I don't know how much taxis are in town, but it will cost a bit of money. Yellow Cab of Bellingham has a website, sedans, and 10 to 14 passenger vans to haul your group and all your stuff. There is a shuttle service between downtown Vancouver and the Seattle airport with a stop at the Bellingham airport; I would suggest contacting Quick Shuttle for more information.

I just talked to someone else from Bellingham and they told me it would be roughly $20 for a cab ride to Amtrak from the airport.

so my next question to all those that live in bellingham or seattle areas. what are the pros and cons of flying into those airports and getting into vancouver via amtrak? is one more cost effective then the other? I was thinking it would be cheaper flying into bellingham but yet i am not sure now.

By the way, Amtrak was really really cheap - much cheaper than the shuttle bus. I'll have to give this one some thought. Not sure why I'm thinking about this when its almost 2 years away. We haven't even seen cruise pricing yet!!! That could blow our plan out of the water.

Jodie

Did you see how long of a trip it would be though? From ohio it would be 54 hours. We will have an 8 yr old with us so that kind of made us think otherwise. would be neat if we could drive part way, amtrak part way , and fly part way, but doesn't look like that is going to work well here. So far my daughter will get to experience alot of firsts on this trip. first airplane ride, first amtrak ride, first time on west coast.. only thing that isnt a first is the disney cruise itself.

Did you see how long of a trip it would be though? From ohio it would be 54 hours. We will have an 8 yr old with us so that kind of made us think otherwise. would be neat if we could drive part way, amtrak part way , and fly part way, but doesn't look like that is going to work well here. So far my daughter will get to experience alot of firsts on this trip. first airplane ride, first amtrak ride, first time on west coast.. only thing that isnt a first is the disney cruise itself.

The OP was comparing the trip from Seattle via shuttle and Amtrak. It's approximately a 3 hour drive not sure how long the train time is though. It is much cheaper to take Amtrak than the shuttle from Seattle.

I think it was 3 - 3.5 hours via Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. I think we might be thinking of different things. We were planning to fly into Seattle instead of Vancouver and then taking Amtrak up - much cheaper than flying into Vancouver!

J

I think it was 3 - 3.5 hours via Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. I think we might be thinking of different things. We were planning to fly into Seattle instead of Vancouver and then taking Amtrak up - much cheaper than flying into Vancouver!

J

oh ok was thinking you were saying from Virginia to seattle.. We are thinking same thing but was going to go into bellingham instead of seattle. although after checking prices for checked luggage price differences arent much into either airport now. if we could get a bedroom type suite on amtrak it would be way cheaper for the entire trip. :confused3 good thing i have 2 yrs to plan this out

oh ok was thinking you were saying from Virginia to seattle.. We are thinking same thing but was going to go into bellingham instead of seattle. although after checking prices for checked luggage price differences arent much into either airport now. if we could get a bedroom type suite on amtrak it would be way cheaper for the entire trip. :confused3 good thing i have 2 yrs to plan this out

I'm really surprised. I've checked those bedroom units on Amtrak, and they typically cost a fortune (I've always thought it would be fun to do). I'm surprised its cheaper for you than flying. Sounds like fun though!

Jodie

28 minutes by car (taxi or rental)

Vancouver Airport
1. Head west on Grant McConachie Way
4.1 km
2. Slight right at SW Marine Dr
0.8 km
3. Continue on Granville St
7.8 km
4. Slight right at Seymour St N
1.4 km
5. Turn left at W Georgia St
0.4 km
6. Turn right at Burrard St
0.6 km
7. Burrard St turns right and becomes Canada Pl
0.2 km

Canada Pl
Vancouver, BC

Public transportation: Canada Line

Vancouver Airport
Travel time: about 39 mins Showing Trip 1
Walk to YVR-Airport Station Eastbound
About 10 mins
Show details
Beta: Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths.
1. Head west on Grant McConachie Way
0.5 km
2. Sharp left to stay on Grant McConachie Way
0.3 km

Walk to YVR-Airport Station Eastbound
About 10 mins

Route Information - translink.ca

Train - 980 - Canada Line Skytrain - Direction: SKYTRAIN - platform sign CANADA LINE TO WATERFRONT
Service run by TransLink
5:10am Depart YVR-Airport Station Eastbound
5:35am Arrive Waterfront Station Northbound
Route Information - translink.ca

Next »
Walk to Canada Pl
About 4 mins

Wow! Lots of great info in this thread. It would be great if this was a sticky so it can be easily found.

Thanks so much for starting this - it will come in handy.

I haven't been around to do much updating - sorry guys!

As for amtrak vs. quick shuttle - the quick shuttle is the easiest and most convienent - it will pick you up right outside the airport doors by baggage claim at both seatac and bellingham airports and drop you off right at the cruise port. No cabs to worry about, lugging your luggage around too much, etc...
It may cost a bit more but its worth it.
Also, there is a 50% off coupon available out there. I will add how to find this on the first post :)

I haven't been around to do much updating - sorry guys!

As for amtrak vs. quick shuttle - the quick shuttle is the easiest and most convienent - it will pick you up right outside the airport doors by baggage claim at both seatac and bellingham airports and drop you off right at the cruise port. No cabs to worry about, lugging your luggage around too much, etc...
It may cost a bit more but its worth it.
Also, there is a 50% off coupon available out there. I will add how to find this on the first post :)

The quick shuttle that you are mentioning will take you to the port in Vancouver?

The quick shuttle that you are mentioning will take you to the port in Vancouver?

One thing to clarify - I know it's hard when you've never been to a place. Everything is fairly close in downtown Vancouver. The hotels/bus terminal/port/attractions. Most things are essentially a $10 or so cab ride away.

The bus may take you to the Port - but please don't try and do it on the day OF the cruise! There are just too many factors that could make you late for the cruise. The border/tunnel/airport/flights. Not worth it. Come in the day before.

One thing to clarify - I know it's hard when you've never been to a place. Everything is fairly close in downtown Vancouver. The hotels/bus terminal/port/attractions. Most things are essentially a $10 or so cab ride away.

The bus may take you to the Port - but please don't try and do it on the day OF the cruise! There are just too many factors that could make you late for the cruise. The border/tunnel/airport/flights. Not worth it. Come in the day before.

So the quick shuttle is a bus? I was thinking it was another type of train service.

We plan on coming in a couple of days ahead to see some sights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter